1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

()()() ATF INFORMATION ()()()

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

This is just info that I wanted to send out for clarification. Two years ago we were a Beretta dealer and sold the NCP Conversion. Many folks have e-mailed us and asked us why we no longer stock the Beretta's and offer the conversions and guns we provide. I want to now answer that question, about a year ago the ATF passed a law that gave small companies like us a break from excise tax if we produce less than 50 guns per calander year. The ATF was here last week and did a surprise inspection on our books and looked at are current production of new Infinity shotguns. The law states as of now the following: if we buy a shotgun such as a Beretta and improve it to have a higher resale value we have to count those guns toward the total of the 50 gun allotment. This would take away from our production of the Infinity. But we did get a clarification on doing modifications to a customers gun. If someone sends us their own gun to do a conversion, we can do all those that we want without facing any ATF tax problems. But if we buy a gun here and upgrade it for the purpose of resale at a greater value then we may become liable for excise tax. So having said this we will continue doing the Beretta 391 conversions but only to guns that our customers send to us. I wrote this because several months ago there was a thread about the ATF going after gunsmiths for excise tax and I was assured that was not going to happen.

Dennis DeVault

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Dennis, Open a "paper" company (I'm sure you can be the major stock holder)with one of your "employees" as figure head. Let the customer buy from him to send it on to you for modifications. So what, if he is only sending it across the alley. I'm sure it would be scrutinized but if it had its own FFL, it's a seperate business. Just a thought. Rules only keep "honest" people honest.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.