1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATF has my name

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tonygrz, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Hi Everyone,

Interesting thing happened today at my gun dealer's place. I had gone to pickup a gun that I had ordered. He informed me that the ATF had been there yesterday to inspect his place. When they looked at his books, they noticed that I had purchased six guns in two months and wanted to know if the dealer knew me, where I lived and what was I doing with all those guns. The dealer told me that ATF made a copy of one of my gun registration forms before they left. I thought this was kind of weird.

Has this happened to anyone else??? What is this all about??? Can the ATF come into my home and check out all the guns I've purchased??? I would think they would need probable cause and a warrent. I collect guns and have a rather small collection. Why would they mess with me???

Any comments?????

Tony Garza

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Why would they mess with you? That's because the ATF is nothing more than a bunch of thugs.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yes, It's because they CAN.

Just like the IRS, they do what they want.

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ahhhhh hummm.....this post is NOT helping your situation....especially with your full name on it.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Mmmm....Mmmm....Mmmmm.

What possibly could they want?

Luckily your collection's small, that way it won't hurt as bad as the rest of us.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have heard that there is an unwritten cap per person per year for firearm purchases. Over that cap and the come a look'in. Six maybe the magic number. My friend has been visited three times to investigate his purchases. Dave T.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Not to worry. If you have done nothing wrong dont worry. Same thing happened to me in 1980. I bought and sold and collected a lot of guns. At the time it happened to me I had 265 guns at my home. I went for Sunday church with the three boys and my wife. When we got home there was a Ford Torino parked a half block from my house with two guys ( ATF with gold badges)sitting it it ( slouched down) They pulled in the drive before we even got into the house. I invited them in and they proceeded to tell me that they knew I was buying and selling a lot but were not really after me. They wanted a guy whom I sold some guns to regularly and he had been selling to known felons. I cooperated with their court case and testified against the guy ( I had no choice and did the thing I thought was right. I knew nothing of his ilegal activities and they knew I did not They did invite me to the ATF office however after the trial and handed me forms to become an FFL. I told them I did not want a license and they let me know real quick that I was getting one, so I did. Bottom line is if you are selling a lot, get a license. If you are just collecting for your own enjoyment, there is nothing they can do or want to do. They will probably pay you a visit so have your ducks in a row but they already know if you are being honest or not. In my case they watched me the sunday prior to their visit. They were following my friend and he came to my house on a sunday morning with an armfull of long guns covered in blankets. It alarmed me so I asked him before I let him in what they were. He told me they were machine guns and I aksed him to leave. They saw it all

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Tony, they were in to "inspect" your dealer. Maybe thay have a suspicion about this dealer.

There is now a line that the dealer fills out that states how many guns were transfered on that background check. Unscrupulous dealers can leave that blank and at a later date add a gun to it to cover a transfer to a person other than you. Don't be surprised if contacted by BATF that one of the questions will be the number of guns transfered on any one form 4473 and what that gun was.

NICS only retains info from a 4473 background check for 24 hours and they do not ask how many guns are transfered.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Atf does regular routine compliance inspections, doesn't mean the dealer is under any suspicion. The big thing they are cracking down on right now is guns going to Mexico, anyone who buys several guns in a short time is going to attract some attention especially if you are anywhere close to a border state but location doesn't really matter. They may visit you to see if you have the guns or have been selling them. You haven't done anything wrong nothing to worry about.

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I would think that if you are doing nothing wrong with the guns you are buying you have no worry. Dan

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

12. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

It is mandated that the ATF inspects dealers every 18 months. I have one inspection in 18 years. They are running behind. Under the new administration it may come to pass that the inspections come every 18 months.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Cy-kick. If you really believe that part about the 24 hour info hold, you are naive. ATF generates their stuff into a computer nad it is just too easy to store. Jus tlike it is really tough to delete nefarious stuff from your computer. NO, we are in the Obama data base.

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well tony hope your clean cause you will be on the watch list . You dont say where you live{area} but with your last name and that many guns that fast . I would cool it for a while. YOU will be checked very good and THEY dont need a warrant IT called partrot act

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This is precisely why I have stated before, on here, That I will not deal with strangers, we either go through a FFL or it don't happen.

These guys that are buying and selling face to face, in a parking lot, no questions asked, are going to regret doing it sooner or later.

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Might have something to do w/ that fully automatic weapon you purchased.

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

So what is he supposed to do turn down business? On what basis? If he gets proper approval and reports multiple purchases to law enforcement agency governing the buyers area why should he have a problem. If the state has no number of purchase limits the buyer shouldn't have a problem either if he's not disposing of them.

18. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Interesting comments from you all. I used to have an FFL back in the '80s but didn't renew it. I've kept up with the gun laws as best I could. I haven't done anything wrong but I don't know about my dealer. I told a good friend of mine about what happened and we agreed that if he sees some Blackhawk attack helicopters and black suburbans coming my way, to please make sure the livestock is fed.

All joking aside, I think the situation with gun buyers and gun owners is going to get a lot worse. And the sad thing about it is that we can't do anything about it. I've said before, if I won the lottery, my first purchase would be a senator and few representatives. Then maybe we could have some say in what they do.

Well, it's back worrying about the more important things in my life - rain for my pastures, good prices for my calves and hoping the chickens begin laying again.

Tony

19. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Government hates compitition, 221, thats why they want you to buy from dealers, Its called "Control" selling in parking lots and at home, they are out of the loup and they don't like that!

Any firearm bought from a dealer is in a data base at the ATF. Hilter would have loved the program had he had it!

We use to live in a free country, a face to face sale should not concern any government offical.

I use to have a FFL, all it amounts to is doing free work for the government. Registering firearms, collecting taxes for the state and feds, and letting them know where you live. What part of "infringed" don't you understand gunowners?

20. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

The ATF will not bother you untill MaoBoma gives the go ahead. It will be very soon. Only nonamericans will encroach on you rights. People with no allegences to this country will instill fear in its citizens.Don't engnore it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

atf came to collect my guns

is there an atf watchlist for number of gun purchased