1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Can this sport survive without the ATA?Must be something wrong if it is going broke---Looks like membership is way down---I know there are many in my area
    shoot and have a good time without the ATA---It was said that ATA is only there for the competitor and not the average shooter so why should the average shooter contribute? Maybe someone can give me some reasons to pass on to the non contributor---I don't think enough effort is made to bring them along---I for one don't know what to tell them---Thanks----sjb---

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Your right in the way that it is for competition and many don't shoot competition. But there is much history in our sport and the one thing that ATA has is a great Hall of Fame. If you have never been to Ohio to see it it's worth the trip, just as baseball and hockey have great Halls of Fame so does the ATA and part of you money goes to the support of this great attraction.

Most shooters that don't shoot ATA at large state shoots don't know what they are missing in the form of fun competition, meeting new shooters from all over the country and seeing some of the worlds best shooters.

Even if you don't shoot an event go to one of the ATAs state shoots and see what it is all about.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Bernie---My ? is can we survive without the ATA---I am willing to try and convince the people at my two clubs to contribute but I need the right reasons and if every club had someone like me to try the same we might be able to help---Just a thought---sjb---

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

According to the ATA the average shooter is 51 years old. The sport cannot continue to grow at this age group. We must find a way to attract the younger shooters . I for one have seen a huge decline in young shooters. Futhermore, ATA shoots are getting smaller were in shoot.

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I was a member of 2 clubs in MA and both had trap fields and were very active. Only about 10% of the active trap shooters were members of the ATA. I don't think trapshooting will die a sudden death if the ATA folds. That said I don't think the ATA will fold and even if it did another organization would likely form and take it's place. JRM

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Survive without the ATA, sure we can but there would be major changes in store for all shooters, and for clubs that host ATA events ... There is no law that says a club cannot hold a big money shoot or handicap event and not have the ATA involved and the same exact rules and guidelines could apply ... The shooters who shoot ATA events have their scores recorded and maintained by the Association, and they also maintain a record of averages for when a shooter gets classified at shoots but it still remains the shooters responsibilty to see that they are classified correctly and that they shoot from the right yardage ... Yes, it could happen but the confusion would be rediculous without the records to rely on ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This thread reminds us all that the ATA has an identity crisis. About 12 years ago, I was running registered shoots at my gun club. No trophies or prizes were offered; we held them to give shooters a local opportunity to get their target minimums met. One Sunday morning, all the help was sitting in the clubhouse waiting for a steady rain to stop or the noon sign-up cut-off, whichever would come first. This club never had and still doesn't have a lot of ATA members and I think I might have been the only member present that morning.

One of the scorers asked no one in particular, "The people who shoot these registered targets on Sundays shoot at the same targets off the same traps and use the same guns and ammo and follow the same rules that we do when we shoot practice and leagues on Thursday evenings. So why do they pay a couple of dollars more to do it?" (referring to the daily fees). You could hear a pin drop and I anxiously waited to see what the response might be. After what seemed like an eternity, the trap chairman pointed a thumb toward the issues of Trap & Field for sale on the sign-up desk and said, "If they do well, they get to see their names in the magazine."

Ed

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Yac---You are right but I shoot with some that don't care about keeping records---They just like to go out and have a good time shooting and the hell with score keeping---What is the ATA doing for them and there are many of them.

Question is,do they need the ATA?---sjb---

9. scdrch

scdrch TS Member

I look at it as I need to support the organization that sanctions the activities I enjoy. I show horses also so I am a member of the American Paint Horse Association. Do I need to be a member of this to show at the local horse shows I attend, no, but I believe in supporting the organization that keeps track of my horse's pedigree and records.

there is something to be said for supporting groups that sanction the activities we enjoy. A larger membership creates a larger voice when needed and gives an organization more clout when having to speak up for us in times of need.

No organization is perfect for everyone, but none at all is is definitely not the answer.

With my opinion aired, I am not currently an ATA member but am going to join in September when I start shooting registered targets. I have already met some great people by attending the MO state shoot and am looking forward to the fall shoot here in MO.

Good shooting,
    Dean

10. Fox32

Fox32 Member

SJB, To answer your questions.

1. Your friends that don't care about records or scores, the ATA has NOTHING to offer them. Neither does Skeet or Sporting as they don't care about scores or records. Nothing wrong with that thought process, they are still having fun shooting.

2. What is the ATA doing for them? NOTHING, as the ATA, NSSA or NSCA has no program those type shooters are interested in as they could care less about scores, winning or records.

3. Can our sport survive without the ATA? First of all the ATA is not going anywhere and will be around for a LONG time.

4. Is the ATA there for the average shooter? Yes, and they have the system that all shooters can compete in. You are only as good as your priorites that you have with practice, learning and always trying to be better. This is in any sport not just shooting.

Finally, go shoot, have fun and promote our sport. You will make a lifetime of friends.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

According to a purchasing convertor I've found, the $12/100 birds we enjoyed in 1975 would now take $48.66/100. This cost per event and the current situation with the country and economy has much to do with the falling attendance by the average Joe. We can blame anyone we wish but the monitory facts are a key to these games. Working in reverse, the $27/100 we see often today for an event would have cost us $6.66/100 in '75; not far from what we often pay for a round of practice instead. When have any of us seen $6.66 fees for 100 bird events to include trophies and maybe some added money in the pot?.......Bob Dodd

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

sjb,

To simplify the answer, NO the ATA is not needed and do not serve any purpose to the people you are refering to ... The clubs across the country are the ones who feed the ATA, not the other way around ... If it were not for the daily fees and the clubs that collect them the ATA would cease to exist and there would be absolutely no need for the ATA ... The amount of registered targets thrown at most clubs are a very small percentage of the total number of targets that club will throw in a years time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bob that's an excellent point I had overlooked. Somewhat the same for components and guns. Its all relative!

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Bob,

If you want to shoot some $12/100 registered targets just show up at Vincennes, IN. They throw $12 birds every month and most times they include lunch free to the shooters. BBQ pork, fish fry, burgers, Blackberry cobbler.......man I'm getting hungry!

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

After club meeting last night I was listening to a group of the registered ATA shooters discussing the present state of things and they eventually made this projection about how they thought things would head:

The ATA as it is today will disappear over the next couple years to be replaced by a loose confederation of State associations organized by regions with the leadership coming from each State association's leadership. Rules and procedures will generally follow the existing ATA format but each region will be free to modify as it needs to. The regions' State members would cooperate among themselves to organize State and regional competitions eventually leading to regional championships. Records of shooters' accumulated scores would be kept by each state but there would be no registered target program as you know it now; not would there be any national competitions unless they were organized by someone or some organization apart from the regional State organizations.

MK

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Unknown1,

That would be speculation at best because once there is a complete house cleaning the ATA will probably be stronger than it is now without the "Good Ol' Boys Club" to weigh it down ... The State Associations support the existance of the ATA, not the other way around ... If the ATA was to be gone tomorrow the State Associations would still survive ... This is some additional speculation for you to ponder ... Who were the shooters you over heard and what information do they have that the rest of us don't ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am not a serious shooter but a serious supporter but they never send me a renewal notes. last year I called and they sent me a new card for free. The N.R.A. always reminds me and I always renew

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

It would be good to know what an aprox % of ATA membership is of clubs that read this post---Thanks---sjb---

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I><blockquote>"That would be speculation at best because..."</blockquote></i>

Yes, of course it is. I realized that and acknowledged same when I indicated that theirs was only a "projection".

Their thinking was simply that national organizations never serve all their members equally nor all their members well and that the current situation with the ATA might be enough to drive some members into a search for a more responsive, more personalized organizing body.

<I><blockquote>"...once there is a complete house cleaning the ATA will probably be stronger than it is now without the "Good Ol' Boys Club" to weigh it down.</blockquote></i>

May be... but a house-cleaning and the re-organization that will accompany it may also leave it leaderless and disorganized. After all, "good old boys" networks had to develop from something less and they rarely leave themselves without a ready supply of heirs and successors in the background who usually wield considerable influence themselves and are ready and eager (and quite able) to carry on "traditions" no matter where they go.

<I><blockquote>"Who were the shooters you over heard and what information do they have that the rest of us don't ..?</blockquote></i>

They're just guys... long-time ATA members and well traveled registered shooters but just guys. They're no different than people here who are speculating and conjecturing over the fate of their hobby with only a few accurate details to base their discussions on. They're making conversation over the same information you have... however accurate that is.

MK

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, the ATA is a very important part of my life. I like to travel across several states and shoot 5 day shoots. I like to compete against others and myself. I want to know if my shooting is improving or declining. The ATA is necessary for all of this. Without the ATA I would not be able to go down to Florida twice each Winter and get fresh strawberries.

I realize that I might have a narrow focus, but the terms shooting, shooting trap and shooting registered trap mean the same thing to me.

Pat Ireland