1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA website Belly Up Again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Went to check if there was a shoot anywhere near me and, Surprise, Surprise, The ATA Web site appears to be dead again!

With all the problems they have had for the past months, perhaps it is time to admit a bad decision was made when they ended the affiliation with the original web site contractor and went to the new one. Since that time it seems that there has been one problem or another virtually all the time, with some of the problems going on for weeks without any progress. The Shoots Near Me is one example.

The money they may have saved can not make up for the poor image that is now being presented when people try to use this site.

Because of all the problems, I hesitate to tell new shooters looking for info to try the ATA site.

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Maybe they moved the web site to Sparta!

blade819

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Pyrdek - do you have a website?

FRedmon

4. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

You wouldn't move a website to Sparta. Too hot!

5. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I agree with pyrdek. The ATA's website has got to be designated as Mission Critical to the ATA. General rule of thumb…you treat mission critical as number one priority. Mission Critical = maximum 4 hour response time.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Probably DOS attacks from disgruntled non-ATA trapshooters....

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

^ That was funny!

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

They probably lit the site up like a Christmas tree with all the -2 yard hits! :)

That was funny Rick!

Hap

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Frdmon,

I am curious why you wonder if I have a website? If I had the ATA website under my responsibility your question might be relevant. Since I do not, I am wondering why you are interested in what websites I do have.

Oh yes, I currently am responsible for maintaining two sites. I had a third site that I created before I became the Secretary for our trap league and kept it up while I was Secretary but responsibility for that site went to the new League officers when I chose to not run for reelection for the ninth year.

None of these websites had the complexity of the ATA site.

So now that I answered your question, would you be so kind as to answer mine.

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

What are they?

FRedmon

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Fredmon,

I will be happy to answer your question after you have answered mine.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

pyrdek: If you spent a few dollars annually and subscribed to Trap & Field you would know where every shoot in the country was. You can even carry it anywhere you go. Even when up and running the ATA site isn't as complete.

You don't even know what the problem is but are quick to bitch about it.

Don

13. roger8918

roger8918 Member

WOW, I can not believe the site is still showing those error messages. Its one thing to have the site down for 12 hours but its a whole other thing to display your system information for 12 hours.

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe it will come back better than ever, maybe they wish TechPro was still in charge. Sadly, we peons will never know the truth.

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Is the ATA's website the first and only site that has ever been down? I think not. Will it ever be the last one to ever go down, I think not.

Is that all you got to complain about? You are one lucky guy if so.

16. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Boy some people really like to attack the messenger don't they. What is that called, cognitive dissonance? That's where you are conflicted by the fact that the information someone is providing is contrary to what you WANT to believe because it is what you HAVE believed.

Big Don, and likes_to-shoot, if you are happy with the way the ATA is maintaining or not maintaining their web site, fine. Your views are not those of all the people. If you don't like people who identify problems, you should still be shooting black powder loads with crumpled wasp nest paper for wads in a muzzle loader when you go out to the line. All of those things were problems that were cleared up when problems were identified by someone and then others took that information and used it to develop a better way of doing things. Or you could be driving a one-horsepower vehicle, probably using a Clydesdale, because there was "never a problem" with the way things had been done and so there is no reason to look into what is wrong and could be improved. Just be careful not to step in your vehicles "exhaust".

Many people here on TS are always hoping to attract new shooters, you can read that as younger shooters, to our sport. You might also want to realize that these newer/younger shooters are into the newer ways of communicating. Perhaps you have heard the term "Social Media". If you haven't, try taking a look at things like Facebook, Instant Messaging, texting, Youtube, iPads/Phones apps and similar things. That is where the new/younger people are looking to get their info. Paper publishing, be it in a book, magazine or newspaper, had gone down very significantly in recent years because of these newer electronic means of communication. Borders is a classic example of a vendor who was late to adopt to the newer forms of communication. Now look at Amazon. Both were book sellers. One who didn't adapt, is now completely gone while the other, who fully embraced the new methods, is thriving. Why do you think that is?

Oh yes, Big Don, if you carry a Smart Phone, and had a working ATA site, you could also get the info anywhere you want (even in a totally dark room). In case you don't realize it, a lot of people ARE now carrying their primary information source, and not just for ATA shoots, with them wherever they go.

Should the ATA rely on an independent operation that could decide, or even have it financially decided for them, that the subscriptions and advertisers (or lack thereof) no longer justify publishing a magazine of rather limited appeal? Going by your standards that T&F is the "best" way to pass on shoot information, what happens if T&F closes? What is the fall back? Where is T&F's competition to push them to improve their product and service? Think of how many other publications have shut down in the past years. What makes T&F any different in the problems it faces when confronted with new, faster, cheaper ways of passing on information? If T&F does close, where will YOU get your shoot info?

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Your right about one thing, I do like to shoot Black Powder guns. :)

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's going to be a long winter. Maybe the EC can give us a two month reduction on winter. People can start shooting sooner, and be in better moods. Charlie

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

prydk: Just so you know I don't live in cave. I also own a smart phone, have a web site, an assortment of computers and I and my staff work 98% of the time on the internet. I also don't need a lecture on the socail medias which are coming under attack.

All that aside you don't need to trash something you know nothing about. I have used the site often with no problems and you have experienced problems often then you must live on it.

Until such time as it becomes extinct I will continue to use the print media, at least I know where all the shoots are today do you??

Don

20. roger8918

roger8918 Member

BIGDON what is your website?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.