1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Wake up-Neil Winston Wake up

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Read smsnyder's post on May 29th,07 then read Bobby Wards post, now what can the ATA- BOD say why they did this action of pre-approved shoots.

Let any club shoot an ATA shoot any day of the week w/o pre-approval, this is the first step in the right direction with the rising cost of FUEL-SHOT-POWDER-PRIMERS-WADS-MOTEL ROOM RATES.

Put target requirements where they were in the 70s at 1500 targets of each discipline over the previous 3 years, ehich amounts to 500 targets of each discipiline each year, to shoot the GRAND AMERICAN.

BOD and DELEGATES and OFFICERS-GUN CLUB MANAGERS read this posting. Be informed
    get informed and act now while it is fresh in your minds.

These 2 actions alone will increase membership.

REMEMBER DR.LONGSHOT said it.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'm working on the pre-approved shoot front. I agree, but that doesn't mean it will happen. But I'll try.

As for the other - nonsense! It's now just 1000 targets this year, no look-back to last (my motion last year, barely passed). If you can't shoot 1000 in 11 months you still can shoot the Grand, and even that's gotten easier - class B no A, and fairer as well, since everyone will be treated equally. Equally? What's that? Essentially, everyone moves up two classes.

Yes, if you are in D and haven't shot the required targets, you will be in B. If C, then A. And so on.

Neil

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I agree with Jack. I went to the gun shop last night and was on E so I had to go to the thieves down the road for gas. 3.20 for 87oct! Then it was 78.00 for 8lbs of Promo and 28.50 a bag for lead. I'm not complaining about the supplies cost because in today's market those are good prices, but pumping gas at those prices made me want to barf!

On Sun. we took junior to the aquarium in Niagara Falls. On the way back, gas in Corfu was 3.04, in Pavilion, which is like 15 mi. down the road, it was 3.19! SCUMBAGS!!!!!!!!!!

Something HAS to be done about this gas B.S.. It's going to cause massive problems with the economy if it's allowed to continue. It's like a summer ritual now for these thieves to be allowed to gouge us. Take a look at the amount of used campers for sale. It's because people can't afford to pull them!

Just had to rant.

Brett D.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I've gone to many a practice or prize event day at local clubs and in the past an ATA special event often broke out. This was a good thing since these clubs also shoot ATA registered events on designated days.

For some reason the "Special Event" option was taken away from these clubs so that no longer happens. We do have the Big 50 but that doesn't seem to attract anyone.

Bring back the ability to have a "Special Event" and I know that my home club would have more registered shoots with greater attendence.

It's a win-win situation that should be available ASAP.

Jerry Weger

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

So Neil, when are you and the BOD going to start cracking down on those sandbaggers? They are chasing away more people then anything else. Would you like to shoot your best in D or C class and get your ass beat by someone who is in your class with a 95 to 100. I would like to see the ATA look back in their last small shoots and see what they shot. I doubt it will be aything over 85. As long as this CHEATING is going on you will not have people staying in this sport.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

What do we do?

Here we have a post saying sandbaggers are driving people away. On another thread several posters are complaining about attempts to crack down on potential sandbaggers.

Both sides just blame the ATA; looks like a no-win situation.

My view, if you have a problem with what class someone shot in, it falls to the classifier, not the ATA. Gargoyle, I'm sure you could volunteer to classify at local shoots, and you could look back at the scores at the small shoots and classify accordingly. What is to stop you, certainly not the ATA?

I'm sure the ATA is open to suggestions to the Classification problems, but it seems every suggestion by one side is just as strongly opposed by someone else. Currently, the ATA rule can't misclassify anyone since it is entirely up to shoot management. Local management should have a better idea of someone's ability than the ATA back in Vandalia does.

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Gargoyle,

I shot with a D class shooter last Saturday who is a 85 year old friend of mine, and he broke a 98. I've shot with this gentleman for many years and a 92 was the highest I have ever saw him shoot. Every Dog has his day and some of us old dogs do better under pressure. Yes I broke a 98 as well and I am in C class (or was). I only have a 90.5 ave. Richard

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you live in the midwest, you shoot in a 35mph wind until July. Keeps the scores down a bit.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Fewer targets are going to be the norm until costs of new shells and reload componets drop back to acceptable levers. And they will when the demand falls below sales level projections.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

" In many small shoots they just ask you what class you are, they don't check your card. I have seen people give the wrong class often." BIGDON

So what did you do when you saw these people lie about their classification?

Brett

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Neil, while you are at it consider allowing non-ATA members to shoot in an ATA shoot, just as in the Big 50 now. Requiring them to pay the same fees (including ATA fees) and shooting the entire event are OK. It may save some small clubs. For many it would eliminate the continuing dilemma of whether they would attract more shooters with a registered shoot or with a meat/prize/practice shoot. As long as the ATA gets their money and has their rules followed, what is the difference? Why is it either/or/ Why not both?

If you cannot get that rule approved, how about allowing an ATA member to shoot in a registered shoot without registering targets. I am amazed at how many average protectors there are out there. That would definitely increase attendance at our colder weather shoots.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

vvt The only problem with allowing an ATA member to shoot without registering his targets is if that person shot a very good score he may ask them to register his targets or if he shot a bad score he may say no I was only shooting targets not to be registerd??

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Don:

"870; In many small shoots they just ask you what class you are, they don't check your card. I have seen people give the wrong class often."

Exactly my point. Blame that club, not the ATA.

14. atashooter

atashooter Member

+1 on the unscheduled non pre-approved shoots. As long as it meets the min requirements such as 5 shooters, ect. I could log some more targets esier.

15. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

870, it is the job of the ATA to manage the shoot not my job. I'm not the one taking in the money. It is not my job to enforce the rules its the ATA's job to do so. They have the means to do the checking but don't because they are to lazy and don't care. They can stop sandbagging within the year but don't want to. They know its wrong and they just turn their backs to it.

Blklab, your 85 year old is in the SV class and if he did get a 98 good for him but you know what I and others are talking about. The ones who are over 18 and under 65. The ones who hold back till they get to big shoots so they can steal as much as they can.

Bigdon the Moron, if he is that good then he would not have such a low av. He would have a higher av but he does not. That means that he is holding back and thats called sandbagging. If this sport was cleaned up it would have alot more shooters. The ATA does not want to clean things up and they are cutting their own throats as well as the members throats.

Blizzard, hell he is probably one of the trouble makers at the shoot. Meaning not being in the right class and or sandbagging. he does that by staying low like a snake and not being seen. I think I'm making him nerves. He knows if I get my way his game is up.

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Honestly Garg, how is it the duty of the ATA to manage your club's shoot in VA? ATA officials are not at your club. You are.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Keybear, in the Big50 you have to declare your intention to register targets beforehand. At our club we combine it with Green Bird. If the score sheet sent out to the scorer has a big R in front of your name, the targets are registered. If no R, they are not. You are asked before you sign up what you want to do. Same concept with my alternate idea. If you do not specifically declare you do not want the targets registered while signing up, they count. No changing your mind later.

18. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

870, how do you know if they are or are not? When the scores go to the ATA office they could have a system in their computer to deal with such problems. Its not that hard to weed out sandbaggers with a computer. Done deal.

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

zzt Sorry I did,t see anything about the Big50 . But that said I have seen it to often people bend the rules (FOR A FRIEND ) . Not saying anyone at your club or mine would but it happens all a shooter need say is I told the kid it was targets only . I would vote NO if your shooting registerd we all shoot registerd or you don,t shoot .

20. tlea

tlea TS Member

Try doing what the golfers do. Enter a two day tournament and shoot an 85 the first day. Get flighted with people of equal ability for day two. Go out and shoot a 73 and see what happens. They bump you up to the next flight (class). Let a C or D shooter go ahead and break 98 or 99, just bump him up a class or two for THAT SHOOT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.