1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA vs PITA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BMC, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Member

No, this isn't a thread about which organization is better.
    I would like to know from our legion of TSdotcomers, how similar is the PITA (Pacific International Trapshooting Assocation) to the ATA. I read over their rulebook and spent some time on their site (great site by the way). Overall I get the opinion it is basically the same as the ATA in terms of how the events are ran, classifying, etc. I didn't see that it takes a 97 to get a punch. That was about the only thing I noticed different.
    Any of you who shoot PITA care to share your observations of the differences? Just curious at to what to expect. Thanks.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm a life member of both and have been shooting in events held by both since the mid-70s. I personally consider them equal in most respects but I rarely knit pic or delve into technicalities. The rules that vary are not terribly significant and the birds and basic games are the same. The PITA tends, obviously, to be a smaller area of venues and also tends to be most apparent in N.CA, OR, WA, and British Columbia with a few distant exceptions. Going to either for shooting events will be no difficulty for you.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Another difference is in doubles - the squad leader gets to see a pair at each station. In my opinion that's a waste of time and targets. And no, I don't mind shooting leadoff in doubles - I do it quite often.

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Target settings are the same so who cares about minor rule differences.

IMO the PITA is more enjoyable - seems to be less stuffed shirts and the shoots run well.

The PITA Grand is a fantastic event, albeit not as large as the Grand American but still a fabulous shoot to participate in.

PITA has been a winner at the clubs I frequent in Nor Cal.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm a life member of the ATA and an annual member of the PITA. I joined the PITA since my wife has relatives living in B.C. and when we get an invite, I can go to a Shoot. I don't get many PITA targets but I plan on some cross registration at ATA shoots and I hope to go to Vancouver for the Canadian Championships at the end of June.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The only problem with the PITA is they don't try to expand to lets say, Arizona ... The Ben Avery facility would be a great venue for them to try and get involved with for starters and go from there ... The cross registration wouldn't hurt anything either ... WPT ... (YAC) ... ATA Life member ...

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

How do you cross register birds? Fred

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Fred, clubs that hold both PITA and ATA events can register the results of your shooting in both organization from any shoot but it's up to the club and cashier to agree. They, of course, are going to collect daily fees and so forth to both organizations and some cashiers charge a nominal fee for their extra paperwork. This is a boon for someone like me that is a life member of both ATA and PITA but lives in the heart of PITA land where it's rare to find an ÅTA event without considerable travel.

Bill, The PITA has made every effort to NOT aggressively attempt to enlarge their position in the Trap world. The idea is to get along with all without trying to cut throats or interfere in any way. It's entirely up to each and any club to want to throw PITA birds to make an effort on their own to get the authorization to conduct PITA competitions. A few years back there was considerable interest in AZ for throwing PITA events but it didn't stick. I think that's simply because shooters were somewhat reluctant to join another organization, carry another average card, and so forth. But, there has been PITA events in Colorado, AZ, ID, UT, and even Connecticut at one time or another. Along with the regulars is Hawaii too - and I've likely missed some. Each year there are shooters from nearly every state and provence that will post scores at PITA events.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The PITA GRAND PACIFIC, held near Olympia, WA in July. A good shoot with better weather than most places during the Summer.

Most of the same shooters and events are similar to those at an ATA shoot. PITA does provide a second chance for those who want to be involved in the political side of the game.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob,

Thanks for the information, I'll try to talk to them out at Avery and see what they think about bringing in another possible shooting event every month ... $$$$$$ .. Thats the name of the game and putting targets in the air is what matters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

There's another thread going, something like Washington PITA vs ATA shoots. The theme seems to be that the PITA shoots the author attends don't try as hard as the ATA shoots with respect to trophies, etc.

I was in Gresham OR over the weekend (an eastern suburb of Portland). While there I took a walk down to the Portland Gun Club to see what was going on. Inside they had a flyer for a PITA shoot at the club this next weekend, January 9-10. I found their choice of date a little strange, competing as it does with the Hood River Icicle Shoot that same weekend. Hood River is about 50 miles east of the Portland Gun Club on I-84. If past history is any guide, the Icicle Shoot, though not registered, will draw a very large crowd of shooters from NW Oregon/SW Washington. It seems to me passing strange that an organization wanting to build registered shooting would want to compete against the Hood River Shoot. Perhaps they are content to keep the same small bunch, and not attract more.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One thing PITA brings to the table is the opportunity to expand trap shooting. This is particularly good for the smaller/newer clubs that are often overlooked by the state level ATA officers and have problems scheduling matches or need help getting started with registered shooting.

Another thing we really are enjoying with PITA is the 50/50/50 multiplex shoots that are held during the winter months. These little shoots are a lot of fun and the lewis payouts are pretty decent. Zero risk to the club and the shooters enjoy the relaxed short event format even with the usual bad weather conditions.

Cross registration is available at most clubs for a modest fee and that can make the targets shot at a PITA event count toward your ATA totals.

For those of you shooting in the western states, I strongly encourage you to attend a PITA shoot if possible and/or have a PITA shoot at your club. It has worked very well for our club.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Bill, any club interested in throwing PITA birds should go to the PITA web site - http://www.shootpita.com/ - then click on "Contact Us." The executive secretary, Sue Brewer, can be contacted with the info provided and she can forward any info on requirements and mechanism to get the authority to throw PITA birds. There is a process to get the authority. The dilemma for you and the club will be convincing the shooters there is a need/reason to have two associations et cetera. Having shoots from both associations is quite common in N. CA and some OR/WA clubs

Pocatello, Portland throws a lot of events annually and cater to a select group that shoot there. My guess is that anyone interested in Hood River will go there and the good-ol'-standbys will show up at Portland. I mean no flame about the club but that's been my experience. One day I drove the 2 hours up for an ATA shoot and they cancelled about 10 minutes before my arrival because, "the fellows thought it was too windy!" There were only about 8 fellows dressed or ready to shoot before the cancellation.

Fred, I said it strangely above - there is no need for the host club to be throwing BOTH ATA and PITA events during the year. Any club throwing birds from either association can cross register for folks that want to do so IF the cashier and club are willing. My guess is that some cashiers may not want to incur the extra work of sending scores to the "extra" association since they have more than enough work to do with just one report. Usually the offer to permit cross registration is printed right in the program to attract folks from the "other" association. You could certainly ask at your shoots if you can cross register or encourage that.

Bob Dodd

14. BMC

BMC Member

Thanks to all for the replys. I was hoping there were some PITA shooters here who could shed some light on my curiosities. I gather from the responses that by and large the programs are similar enough to be considered the same program. The cross-registration thing is interesting, and I can see why it would be a positive for folks who do compete in both organizations. Thanks again.

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

BMC, know that any shoot permitting cross registration will only have trophies and recognition for the organization sanctioning the shoot but permits the scores to be added to the second organization's totals AND if you shoot any score requiring a punch, you will be punched.....Bob Dodd

16. BMC

BMC Member

That only makes sense Bob. I wouldn't expect one or the other organizations who are not hosting the event to provide awards. I don't think anyone would expect such graciousness. I guess in a way it makes it a great way to say, encourage existing local ATA shooters to be willing to particiate in a new PITA event should one be hosted. Actually if a "series" was created, having cross-reg targets could really bring out support for the new event. Interesting concept.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

BobD: Is "cross registering" like cross dressing? LOL Joined PITA yesterday. Fred

18. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Fred,

I'll save my friend Bob D. the liability of answering your inquiry. YES, cross registering is a lot like cross dressing. In fact, that's what it's become known as here in the great Northwest. Sorta gives one the opportunity to play on both sides of the fence if you get my drift.

I've been a life member in both associations since the mid-seventies when I lived and worked in San Jose. One of the great benefits for a weekend shooter like me was that I got to attend two State Championships every year within my state of residence. Two chances to bring home a trophy or two from a State Shoot level competition was always a real bonus.

As Bob said, historically the PITA has not aggressively sought out state and club affiliations outside the traditional west coast area. However, when a club or group of shooters anywhere in the country wants to affiliate for whatever reason, the PITA will welcome them with open arms. In addition to the states Bob mentioned, there have been very active PITA groups in southern California and in West Virginia in years past.

Mike Mann

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Fred, You wascally wabbit - <;-)

Mike, thanks for the additional and maybe clearer points. Even more on recruiting PITA clubs: The PITA takes every step possible to NOT actually, or appear to be competing with the ATA but as Mike explains, inquiries are greeted with open arms.

Mike and I were in the generally considered same territory when we both shot ATA and PITA birds and it was a delight to be surrounded by clubs that threw birds sanctioned by both organizations. We both belonged to the Martinez Gun Club in CA - http://www.martinezgunclub.net/ - and it was amazing to shoot ATA one month and PITA the next and mix in a few club shoots and Bay League shoots on other dates along with occasional PITA state shoots too - a different era.....BD

20. warren

warren Member

I attended my first PITA shoot in December and I did cross register my scores to ATA as I recall it cost me a total of $5. The shoot was very well run (except the weather) and I enjoyed myself, it was the Basque Shoot in Fallon, Nv. The only thing I noticed different is the lead off shooter in the doubles event did call for a target to look at on each station. The food was outstanding.

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata trap shooting events arizona

pita vs ata