1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Voting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Why is it that you have to be a "Life Member" to vote in ATA elections? Why are annual members excluded? It is not cost effective for me to pay for a Life Membership, as I got into this game late in life. I plan to be a member for the rest of my life, but who says I am gonna live to be 90 or so?

I was just wondering!

Oscar

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where does it say that you have to be a life member to vote. Did they change something? I thought that you only have to be a member to run for office.

Ed Yasnchok

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Section II, A, 1: "Annual Members, who have been active members (e.g., having registered targets) in any two (2) target years, are entitled to vote for the State/Provincial Delegate and Alternate(s), at the annual business meeting of the State or Province."

Section II, A, 2: "Only Life Members may hold office in the ATA."

4. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Why is it that you have to be a "Life Member" to vote in ATA elections? Why are annual members excluded? It is not cost effective for me to pay for a Life Membership, as I got into this game late in life. I plan to be a member for the rest of my life, but who says I am gonna live to be 90 or so?

I was just wondering!

Oscar

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where does it say that you have to be a life member to vote. Did they change something? I thought that you only have to be a member to run for office.

Ed Yasnchok

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Section II, A, 1: "Annual Members, who have been active members (e.g., having registered targets) in any two (2) target years, are entitled to vote for the State/Provincial Delegate and Alternate(s), at the annual business meeting of the State or Province."

Section II, A, 2: "Only Life Members may hold office in the ATA."

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Stir the pot

Someone who loves to proliferate the tension and drama between 2 or more feuding people/groups in public to get a raise of people in hopes of starting a shitstorm of drama and uncomfortable conflict, sometimes for personal gain but oftentimes just for the thrill of confrontation.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pot stirrer - one who assumes his buddies wife's girlfriend's husband's uncle, who doesn't shoot ATA, knows the rules, said...

9. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

What is your definition of "zone director" -- if you mean ATA Zone (comprising of multiple states, i.e. Central, Southern, etc), then yes, since these zone directors (actually VPs) are ATA Delegates.

Some states use "zone director" for elections for their state association. If you need to be a life member will be answered by your state's bylaws.

Bottom line, if you run for ATA delegate to represent your state, you must be a Life Member. To become a zone VP, you must be elected from the pool of state delegates, so you must be a life member. If you want to hold any other office in the ATA (secretary, treasurer, etc) you must be a life member. The rules at the state level will be dependent on the state bylaws.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

For those that find this notion offensive, the life membership was not meant to be a money saving instrument. I think the reason for the rule is the notion that being a life member shows a greater commitment to the association's future.

If you don't agree with the notion then you will have to campaign to change that part of our bylaws.

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Ok, my mistake, You have to be a life member to hold office, but you can only vote in state elections if you have 2 consecutive yrs of targets. Was not trying to stir any pots.

Oscar Ray

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The rule doesn't say anything about the years being consecutive.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I thought it was a good question.

14. over/under

over/under Member

Does that mean a 3 year life member is more knowledgable than a 10 year annual member? I kinda doubt it!

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What does knowledge have to do with anything? lol

GneJ

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A Life Membership is a commitment.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just for clarity the rule says,

Annual Members have all the shooting rights and privileges of Life Members, but may hold no office in the ATA. Annual Members, who have been active members (e.g., having registered targets) in any two (2) target years, are entitled to vote for the State/Provincial Delegate and Alternate(s), at the annual business meeting of the State or Province.

That give membership right on voting and holding office. I do believe the reason for being a life member to hold office had something to do with life members being called upon to contribute money in tough times. On the older Life Member certificates it is explained. It isn't on the newer life member paper work.

This is one of the reasons that Dr. Scumbag complained so long and loud not so long back about it. It seems their was also some language about liquidations benefits to life members that aren't there any longer.

Bob Lawless

18. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Oscar -- it was a VERY good question -- there is a lot of confusion out there about the difference between an ATA State Delegate and the people that help run the state organization (sometimes they are called directors, sometimes delegates - hence the confusion).

19. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Its sad that someone that does not participate in our sport (Bob) gets on the forum and again calls members names.

That is what trolls do but I wish they would do it somewhere else.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

While you are at it Joe enlighten us as to the definition of participate. I would like you to tell me what it is that you think I don't do that bother you so oh so much.

Or do you just blow a heavy wind like your bosom buddy Scumbag. You seem to know more about my life than I do. So I think you should put up or shut up.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.