1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Trophys?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I am a Vet shooter and I shoot catagory. In the last to big ATA shoots I attended I won 16yd Vet in shootoffs. All class winners won shooting bags, all catagory winners won 4 box shell carriers. Question... why do the catagory shooters get a trophy worth less then the class shooters. Also the runner up gets the same trophy. I have 4 of these carriers and gave three away to other shooters.

Now don't get your panties all up in a bunch. I know it's not the trophy but the win that counts, but why the difference in the trophy. I ask Phil Wright and he told me it's because there are more shooters in each class then in catagory. After checking we found this was not the case. Just remember in a few years most of the shooters will be vets or Sr. vets.

Just venting. BernieK

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bernie- Just wait until the time that your score is high for your class and tied for high with 5 other Vets from different classes.

Pat Ireland

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Will the last shooter to leave the field please turn out the lights.

4. acre44

acre44 Member

They need to split out the Vets, Sr Vets, Juniors, Women, etc. from the classes. If you want to declare a status (vet, etc.) then you should be pulled from the class, A, AA, AAA, etc. Not fair to us under 50 males, the future of this sport.

Ned.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ned- How is it not fair? True, category shooters may have an extra opportunity to win. But that only helps them and does not hurt you. Some shooters live in areas that allow them to attend a registered shoot every week. They also have more opportunities to win. Is that fair?

Pat Ireland

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I would be very interested in seeing Phil's numbers and where they came from. "Class" is all inclusive, in other words, everyone can be in a class, not everyone can be in a category. There really isn't alot of price difference between the trophies, but I understand your point. We are working on selecting the ATA awards for next year and appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully we will do better....

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At the Main Event of the 2010 World Series of Poker the winner got $9.4 millon. The poor fellow that finnished in 600th place got $21,000. There were about 7,900 entries. The entry fee was $10,000, I don't think trap shooters could handle that. HMB

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

so don't enter as a catagory shooter, just enter as a AA 27 AA or whatever, say NO to special catagory, which is a "choice", for some but not all. mark crist

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

40 years of registered shooting and its always been that way with class/ydg versus category. Reason I was always told was same as Phil stated.

10. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

You guys have raised a very valid point and I will take this to the table when we begin selecting trophies for 2011. Any suggestions of something DIFFERENT would be greatly appreciated. You can post here or email to my address above. I would love to hear from you.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No lawn chairs or flashlights please(as if i'd win one anyway lol). The problem is, as i'm sure you know, what pleases one pi$$es off another. You will NEVER win in pleasing all. I like the old pewter and silver plates and bowls. Something that looks nice displayed in anyones living room is nice. Keep up the good work. The fact that your asking for suggestions tells me the job is being done right.---Matt

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gift Cards to stores that sell ammo and sporting goods. Like WalMart for example. HMB

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Karla,

Nice of you to ask for suggestions.

I know this won't be popular because most want to "Take something home" with them, but the suggestion of handing a winner a sheet of prizes to choose from and then having it ordered and shipped to them, may be a good option..

The sheet could even include a "Cash Prize" on it for those who have every other shooting prize known to man...I don't envey your job at all !

Dave in SC

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dave---I like that idea. not sure how practical it would be with shipping involved but nice idea. Cash always looks good on my wall.---Matt

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Suggest the ATA work with an airline who has a mileage program with a big bank. Free travel and/or mileage awards to winners with the provision they could be traded among shooters. The winners get something of value and the airline fills empty seats while getting lots of advertising exposure. The very definition of "WIN/WIN".

I have an Alaska Airline credit card through Bank of America that could be adapted to this program.

16. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Karla, thank you for the input. Brian Whaland said they have been thinking along the same lines that the trophies have become less then desirable. I agree that you can never please everyone. I also agree with trapboy1957 when they also reach Vet or Sr. Vet things will change. Thanks for all your input and thank you Karla. As pres. of a club I know what you mean by thankless. BsernieK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.