1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mich746

mich746 Member

Just started shooting this year (@62) so I joined ATA. Every shoot I go to they put me in A class and on the 22 yard line. I understand why, so for me I guess I just shoot targets for fun this year, get enough birds in to have an accurate rating for next year.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Should only take 300-500 Registered targets to fairly assess your skill level. Keep in mind though, some larger shoots have a minimum target requirements or you are penalized class and yardage.

3. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

How many targets have you shot?

And where are you shooting? Normally, at local shoots a new shooter is started in B-class and 20yds, unless you are shooting larger shoots with target minimums and penalty yardage.

4. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

You're being handicapped at the wrong yardage unless there is penalty yardage stated in the program.

Tim

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Tim is correct. Unless there is penalty yardage specified in the program or indicated at the shoot, you are being handicapped (yardage-wise) incorrectly.

There are a lot of "local" classifiers who think they are free to do what ever they please. They think they can put somebody on whatever yardage they like. They can't unless they are complying with the penalty yardage rule.

It's in your best interest to know the rules. If you do, you'll stand a good chance of being the only person at the shoot who knows whats right and what's wrong.

6. mhill76

mhill76 Member

V10,
    You might need to look a little closer at rule book. If your "local classifier" happens to be a Central Committee member he may increase your yardage. The following was cut and pasted from rule book.

2. Any Central Handicap Committee member may increase a shooter’s yardage at his/her discretion when applying the Known Ability Rule.

While most members think "known ability rule" only applies to singles and doubles, it can be applied to handicap as well. A North Carolina shooter with a handicap yardage of 23 yards, when classified at the Grand American was placed on the 27 yard line. He didn't have much of an argument since he had won over 40,000 in two handicap events at previous Grand Americans. I think he shot a 97 from the 27 yard line, so I would say his yardage assignment was justified.

marty hill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.