1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA should have a Class for 75 & 80 ages

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vinge, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinge

vinge TS Member

I WILL TURN 80 THIS SUMMER. I STILL LIKE TO SHOOT AND COMPETE. HOWEVER, I CAN'T COMPETE AGAINST 70 YEAR OLD SHOOTERS. MY RESPONSE TIME IS SLOWER. HOW DO THE REST OF YOU OLDER SHOOTERS FEEL ABOUT THIS SUBJECT?

2. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Don't have a dog in this fight (yet!) but as an example, the Senior Pro Rodeo Association separates its competitors into 10-yr age groups, 40-49, 50-59, 60+.
    Granted, trapshooting isn't quite like rodeo, but they seem to feel it's fair.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

A new class for 80+ shooters has been proposed in the past to the B of D. There was little documentation supporting the change. We did not know the number of shooters that would be in the new class and the total number of targets these shooters shot.

Based on the number of individuals, it would appear that if a new class were added, the current classes B and C should be divided into three classes.

Pat Ireland

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Take those that were All Americans prior out of the senior classes and you might have a chance. Instead of shootoffs now Kaye just takes the Vet. class. Look at other shooting sports and they take better care of their senior shooters.

Don

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, I was in charge of Grand American Shoot off. Senior Vet. Don Mackerman and Mr. Smith(ATA Secretary)I had no interest in shooting off against these two gentleman. I have shot in Arizona with Don in the past. I was impressed with there ability.I think that a Vet. class to facilitate these shooters would be apropriate.Why don't you express your views to the president and the committee.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. motrap

motrap Member

I have always thought the categories were more prestigious and meaningful than the current class system, and have advocated that "REAL" divisions (classes / categories / whatever you want to call them) would have more/some meaning. You can't sandbag your way into the 70-79 year age group or the 5th year shooter group ........... I can get into any class I desire (except maybe AAA)!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The idea has both some merit and support. Anyone interested in pursuing the matter needs to develop a cost analysis of the change and the number of shooters that would benefit from the change. I have never seen these data, but any member of the ATA could do the work required to get the information.

Pat Ireland

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good post BIGDON. Hap

9. SILVER S 007

SILVER S 007 Member

sir to answer the question.........when phil wright was pres. ......the board voted on and passed that there be a super sr class .just as a sr class. is now.if they could find a sponser to buy the trophies....ok so far?......
    i informed the fl delegate that ihad one..the largest auto dealer in the country....he would give the ata 25k per year to buy trophies for the super sr.at the larger shoots plus the grand AND more if needed......now.,.....my answer well there is not that many that shoot and we will look into it at the next meeting......so i informed the company ........they said ok maybe we just withdraw if there not that much intrest and put our sponser money some place else ....there are lots of takers when you offer money ........so what is your thinking on that?

BOB MEYERS

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

nspktr1- It would be no more, nor no less, work for a member of the B of D or any ATA member to collect the data. Your comment about the inabilities of 80 year old shooters strikes me of age discrimination.

If the individual wanting these data is not able to collect it for some reason, he surely has a friend or his delegate he could convince that the work should be done.

Pat Ireland

11. SILVER S 007

SILVER S 007 Member

mr ireland

did you not read my post..........you were there..........or not

12. samme_no2

samme_no2 Member

Texshooter, You have it all wrong, shooters that can make a living from trapshooting such as (IEkay)should be in another class altogether. It seems to me that no one on the BOD wants to hear about another catagory becuse of the added moneys, and trophy costs. That is a quote from my delegate. Harry

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yeah I know ... I know what this thread is supposed to be about but my first thought and reaction even from earlier today was and still is this ...

Why? Have the become stupid in there old age and need to go back to class to learn again?

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

ATA has all the data for seniors so what would be hard to find out how many 80yr olds there in in the Assoc. Its all in the computer isnt it?

15. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

I travel with a fellow that is 83 and loves to smoke a target. He has made SVET Captain in our state for the last two or three years!

Call them Silver Vets:)

38-01615

16. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I like that...Silver Vet....has a nice ring, rather prestigious.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

SILVER S 007- I was at the B of D meeting you mentioned above. As I remember, the FL delegate reported back that he had made some contacts but could not find a sponsor. The idea was dropped.

nspktr1- A logical approach to this question would be for you to gather the data and convince your delegate, and your zone VP that the question deserves consideration.

If I wanted a change in the rules, I would present a well documented written proposal to all of the delegates and the VP of my zone. I would not ask someone else to do it for me.

Pat Ireland

18. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

They don't need an 80s Class. There is already an entire State that addresses this. It's called Florida.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What's wrong with keeping out (if you were a All Amrican before) from the 75 or 80 group. It's just a trophy, do they have to have it all? It is just a nice way of saying thank you to those who supported the ATA for many years. Please spare the moaning about additional cost, it is a pittance. I would vote for calling it "Silver Vet".

Don

20. smartass

smartass TS Member

How about a class for the mentally challenged- we'll call it the BIGDON class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.