1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Shotshell Rule

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JDS, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDS

JDS TS Member

ATA limits the amount of shot to 1 1/8oz. so, why limit the velocity to 1290fps?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

New rules are;

1 1/8 oz 1290

1 oz 1325

7/8 oz 1350

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I thought it was 1-1/8 1250?

1-oz 1290?

I don't really know - I know that when I started shooting trap there were two loads: 1-1/8th at 1,145 and 1-1/8th at 1,200.

Now there are so many weights and speeds - it's impossible to keep up with

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

section XIII Part F paragraph 3

velocity no greater than 1290fps with a shot charge of 1 1/8oz or 1325 with a max shot charge os 1oz or 1350 with a max shot charge of 7/8oz. Max shot size 7.5. No shot charge may exceed 3%.

Maybe they should just go to 1 load? Say 1oz at 1200fps 7.5. Would really make thing interesting.

5. JDS

JDS TS Member

I know the rules, the question is "WHY" limit "Velocity" ?

6. just_bob

just_bob Member

I suspect they are trying to even things out. By increasing the speed on the smaller loads gives each pellet more energy.

just_bob

7. JDS

JDS TS Member

Thank You.
    Now look at it this way please, per "ATA's rules" reduce shot weight and increase velocity fps, 7/8-1350 fps. Why limit the velocity to "1350 fps"? Reduce shot weight even more and increase velocity! Why not launch a 24 gram at 1350 plus ? So, "Why does the ATA limit Velocity(fps)"?

8. Hauser

Hauser Member

The shot and velocity limits have more to do with giving the ammunition manufactures reasonable standards for fabricating ammunition than enforcement of ATA rules.

They can be set at any velocity.

Jerry Hauser

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

JDS,

I would love to see a shooter hold up for 100 targets shooting those Nitro 27 sporting clays shells. He would be easy to spot, the one that is flenching even before he mounted his gun! LOL.

I'm in agreement. The ata should limit shot size and the amount. The speed should be up to the shooter.

ec90t

10. JDS

JDS TS Member

Jerry, you really lost me on "resonable standards", ammo. mfg's already mfg. the 24 gram load at 1350 fps plus!
    The ATA is limiting the ammo mfg's. if, the ATA didn't have the velocity restriction there would be more shell choices available therefore "more" sales.

11. Hauser

Hauser Member

JDS

Has your game developed to the point where you actually believe you need to increase the velocity of the shells to improve???

You quote the 24 grams load at 1350 fps +. My question to you is

"why did whoever originally set the limit to 1350fps+ choose that velocity instead of 1500 fps or say 800 fps+???. Basically why restrict velocity, shot size or load size??

Jerry Hauser

12. JDS

JDS TS Member

Is this your answer to " reasonable standards" ?
    To answer your question, Yes. If, comp. shooter's choose to shoot lighter shot loads meaning less shot increase the velocity increases the energy. I know old habits are hard to break and so will targets if, "old" 1 1/8oz. theory exists. History proves it, release triggers... My point is that the ATA shot shell rules have a very old and narrow window that is obsolete and needs to be changed in my opinion. A 24 gram load is less shot to begin with so why restrict velocity! The ATA does not have a printed rule for 24 gram loads...
    Besides do you know of other shooting disiplines that use "realease triggers"?

13. JDS

JDS TS Member

Hey, Jer Waiting???
    Why not reduce shot amount bt 25% and increase velocity by the same? Fair enough?

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . in order to solve what problem, JDS?

Neil

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

(Veocity should not be an issue.) Shoot amount should. Many of us could buy those 3/1/4 dram 1/1/8 loads cheap. Federal game loads $3.88 a box. Also those super sport loads used by sporters should be legal as long as it is 1 1/8 ounce of shot.

16. JDS

JDS TS Member

FlaLagarto
    My answers;
    I do not know which mfg. wants to make 158 different loads ONLY for trap shooters. I do know, though, that they ALREADY make the one specifically, I am talking about so, I guess they are at ONLY 157!
    Sounds to me your shell house has a management problem. It has been my experience that successful business's work on the "supply and demand theory" some of "US" call that capitalism. I will post another thread and explain that later!
    Your second question; You are getting the point, the endless supply of people keeping them in check is "GREAT" this is called "DEMOCRACY" and to finish this question, It does not pay enough.........................
    COMPRENDE'
    ADIOS

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Wasn't it restricted for safety? Someone could, in thinking speed equals winning, go crazy and put fellow shooters at risk. Dave T.

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It certainly doesn't add up to me to limit the velocity. In the first place velocity doesn't equal winning and too much velocity doesn't do anything for pattern and in most cases HURTS it. As far as safety goes, the Skeet/Sporting Clays crowd has pretty much debunked that long ago. Remember The ATA is the "ONLY" clay target shooting disipline that limits velocity. If the velocity was much of a safety issue there would be a slew of blown up skeet and sporting guns around, because neither organization limits velocity. Sporting in this country NEVER did and Skeet ended the velocity limitation YEARS AGO! PRESSURE is dangerous, velocity IS NOT. I can show you lots of loads that would be legal in VELOCITY for the ATA, but the compontent mixes are WAY over pressure for safety. Maybe someday the ATA will join the other clay target organizations and go with shot size and weight limts only, but until they do I guess the the cheap bird loads will be restricted to practice only. By the way I shoot one ounce loads.

19. JDS

JDS TS Member

FlaLagarto

Read my previous response!

Si

20. willing

willing Member

It seems that a lot of people think there should not bq a restriction on Velocity. If thatis true, why do you need a restriction on shot size. Why not #6 or 4. Where does it end???

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata ammo rules
ata association shotshell speeds

ata ruled

ata shot rules
ata shot shell velocity rules
ata trap ammunition rules
does ata have a dram size rule
dram rules ata