1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ata shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hdbrs, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

Ok im gonna try going to an ata shoot this weekend in Jackson, pa. im just wondering what to expect and how it works. curious about cost also. i need to join the ata first so im in for that. i want to shoot 100 16s then 100 handicaps. Will they judge what yard line i will shoot at on my 100 16s score? i know registration starts at 930. what time does shooting start. i don't want to show up at 930 register and join to stand around till 1 when the shooting starts. and should i expect an all day affair lasting till 7pm. Thanks Ben

2. dsb

dsb Member

First off, Congrats

You can either fill out online at the link above or you can sign up at the shoot. If you do the online bring the paper you print out to show proof you signed up. You will shoot your singles (16 yd) like everyone else then being a new shooter you will shoot your caps from the 20 yard line until you get a change from the ATA. If the shoot does not start till 1 pm maybe get there around 11 and you can sign up and talk a little or even practice if need be.

Be expected to pay $25 or so per hundred you shoot plus your ATA fees of $20.

Have fun
    Danny

3. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

If i shoot from the 20 yard line should i change anything. i use an im choke and aa shells #8 shot. thanks Ben

4. dsb

dsb Member

I shoot IC for singles and mod for 20 yd cap.

5. alf174

alf174 Member

Ask about the ATA membership specials going on right now.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Don't surprised if your HCP is equal to or higher than your 16's. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

7. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

First shoot, if its a big one they may make you shoot penalty yardage if there are minumum target requirements. That would be from 23 yrd line. Your beginning ATA yardage will be 20 Yrd line. Also if you are put in Classes for singles you would go in B class (as penalty because you don't have targets to average). ATA fees are ussually $5 per day not per event. They will ask you if you want to play any OPTIONS. This is ussually a bet. Lewis class pays off for all level shooters and is an ok gamble if you choose. If registration starts at 9:30 shooting will probably begin at 10am. Some clubs shoot doubles, singles and then Handicaps, and otheres shoot singles the handicaps followed by doubles it is at the clubs discression. There will be alot of hurry up and wait at shoots its just the nature of the game. You should be done shooting by I would say 4. and all this depends on how many shooters, how many traps there are but I ran throught the ATA website and I can't find the particular shoot your talking about so its probably not huge. At Cardinal forinstance they shoot 3 events a day averageing 500 shooters and all is done but the shootoffs by 4. But they also have 48 traps. I shot my first ATA shoot almost a year and a half ago and it was at the silver dollar a week after I shot my first round of trap, and I was tickled with my 79/100 in singles. If you ask 10 people what chokes to use you will get 10 different answers. When I started I wanted an open choke because I felt it would help my lack of accuracy, but thats just not so, use an full choke from every where and smoke the snot out of them. Bottom line you have to start somewhere and this is it just think the next time you feel this nervous is when you call for your hundreth bird to run them all. any specific questions feel free to PM me and I will give you the scoop. I am not an expert but still remember my beginings. oscar suski

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Can't speak for this club directly, but if registration starts at 9:30am, get there at 8:30 to familiarize yourself with the place, apply as an ATA member (there may be PA state membership also) and get in line... if you get there at 9:30, you may be in the registration line for 1/2 hour...

Registration at 9:30, shooting should start relatively soon thereafter for singles; followed by the program's next event(s) If they offer and you shoot all three events - plan on making a day of it...

Penalty could be B or higher (check the program) for 16 yards/doubles with trophies/monies... 20 yards or farther (check the program) for handicap without known ability, again if trophies or monies are at stake...

regards all,

Jay

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What Jay said. Get there early. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Relax, don't make the day stressful like a job. You are there to have fun and more importantly learn. You will do fine.

If its like the smaller shoots around here, they can run quite a lot of squads through in a relatively short time. Often they will be done with all 3 events by 1:00-2:00pm at the latest. Make sure to stick around to see where you finished. It stinks to leave thinking you shot bad and later find out they called your name for a shoot-off. You just never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata shoots

ata shoots in pa

ata shots

ata trap shoots