1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA SHOOTS NEW DIRECTION (PLS COMMENT)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

I have now been given the job of being my club's ATA delegate for next year. I was wondering if you the shooters like/ dislike one of my ideas which is NO TROPHIES. That being said the club would provide a meal to the shooters who travel and shoot. Example a ST. Patrick's Day shoot we, (Synepuxent Gun Club) provide corned beef and cabbage, (maybe beer) to all the shooters and guests who show up. I am looking at attracting more shooters to the club. Feel free to leave comments good or bad. Thanks, Mike Sharkey, DC

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I would not travel for a no trophies/no cash prize shoot. That sounds like tgts only. Perpetual purse at my local club, plus well run shoots, has boosted particpation at ATA events.

Good luck to you.
    Dave Eberhart

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bad idea in my opinion. People can shoot targets only at their local club all week long.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like a ATA shoot. Sounds like a club function, fun shoot. Why pay ATA and state fees for a fun shoot. What incentive does the shooter have other than a burger which everybody gets. Why not do that along with some trophies, as simple as boxes of shells. Do it and invite the public to the dinner portion along with 10 trial shots at some clays, they can watch the ATA shoot and try the sport at the same time as getting fed.

You are thinking, just keep it up.

Don

5. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

I'm pleased, Don. That was actually an attempt at something constructive.

Except for a very special occasion, I'd skip the food. It's 14 miles to Ocean City, and one of the primary reasons someone travels is to enjoy the finer things away from the shooting club.

You don't want to suggest an obligation for someone to have to eat with you when he can be at a memorable dinner spot in a few minutes. If his family is with him, they'll have long since tired of the gun club.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I won't shoot at an ATA shoot if there isn't trophies/money awarded to the winner. The only local clubs I shoot are those that award trophies/money to the winners. Why would I spend $20/100 to not have a chance to bring anything home from a local club when I could go and pay $20/100 at a state shoot, etc. and have a shot at trophies/cash?

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

We tried cheap food to get members to our monthly membership meeting. We still have trouble getting 25 for a quorum out of approx. 400 members.

Having said that, we had a local club a few years back that would serve a free breakfast to anyone signing up and paying before 9:00 am. Just scrambled eggs with ham served out of a big roaster and toast and coffee. I thought this was a great idea. It got folks there early and the shoots started on time with full squads.

Good luck and keep thinking outside the box. Too many clubs just keep doing the same old thing and expecting different results and wondering where all the shooters are. You're on the right track to find your niche.

Regards

Bob

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Thanks for doing SOMETHING to help with ATA shoot attendance. I actually like small inexpensive trophies such as pins, small coins, etc. as a memento. Could care less about the cash. Care even less about the food. It’s usually the wrong kind and only adds to the expense and labor. We are already too fat. Water and such should be for sale though.
    Mark

p.s. If the local “roach coach” wants to come out and try to make a few bucks, then that’s fine by me.

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I didn't buy a box of cracker jacks for the caramel corn only.

From my newbie perspective, competition means something to compete for. Good of you to look for new ideas, keep it up.

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

These silver coins were popular as awards at a yearly invitation shoot we held for many years.

We gave a mounting board that would display nine of the coins.

A custom variation produced by a local mint is available.

The coins are easy to display and have a real value when the shooter switches games.

A 2oz. round custom coin just fits in the top of a clay pigeon - for display.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike I can't speak for others but for myself I usually draw a 60 mile radius circle around my house and will try and attend ANY ATA shoot within that radius no matter what the trophy/money back/free lunch. For distances beyond that the Trophy or Money back is an incentive and for one club where I shoot their lunch alone would keep me coming back. Don has some good ideas especially if you are looking to actually get more people interested in the ATA and Trap shooting. If you are only trying to boost attendance of those that are already ATA members the Coin shoots and Leather shoots always seem to draw a bigger crowd.

--- Chip King ---

12. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

mike i will try to be there this weekend you should help grayson set the targets and if there is a shoot off you should supervise and score the shootoffs i don't care what the wackos say. bill kelly

13. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

corned beef, cabbage and beer?? OMG! Everybody will have to ride home in separate cars.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Big Heap--Those American Silver Eagles are great. I have a few of them from the late 80's and early 90's. They are attractive and can and will increase in value if taken care of. The biggest problem i see with giving them out now days is the price. For a current 2011 issue mint American Eagle its rough $55-$65. I don't think too many small clubs could afford to give out many of those at a monthly shoot. Then again i have never had to purchase trophy's so i do not know what they usually spend per/trophy. Maybe be could for the HOA/HAA only. My 2 cents anyway.

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

IMHO-Throwing a good target will bring in more shooters than most anything. Good trophies are an after thought but should still be presented.We all want to show off something.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

ATA Triple Play, food, money and good targets. HMB

17. DONNE

DONNE Member

Problem is , people will NOT drive across that bay bridge ! That is one of the reason many in the state association want to move back to thurmont (amoung others). They think the State Shoot attendance will miraculously increase .

Since most of your shooters will be comming from Delaware , you have to see what motivates them to shoot. Just remember , what ever you try there will always be some that complain so you have to have a thick skin . We always tried to have the club grounds looking good , throw good targets that people can break , keep the machines in good repair (no breakdowns) , reasonable trophies and lots of volunteer help. You've got a thankless job .Good Luck ! Been there , Done that ...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata trophy shoots within 100 miles