1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Shooting in CA as a non resident?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

What are the regulations for a non resident to drive into CA to compete at ATA shoots? I'm referring to the very restrictive gun laws pertaining to non residents bringing and possessing guns when in their state. I know when I have driven to CA. in the past, I have left my carry gun at home because my CO permit is not allowed with reciprocity there. What's the real deal there for those that would like to drive to CA. for the State Shoot? Are there any other states that have laws making this difficult, as well? I heard that Cook county in Illinois you can't even drive through with guns because of local gun laws.

Duane

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

The easy and unfortunate answer is...don't bring it. You might get by with the empty gun locked in a box in the back seat with any and all ammo in the trunk or visa-versa. Depending, of course, on how the officer became aware you had a gun. CA does not recognise most CCW permits from other states.

Kind of defeats the reason for CCW.

JON

3. Perazzi_MX8

Jon, I understand about the carry gun, and probably shouldn't have mentioned it, as I understand that law. It's bringing in a couple of shotguns for trap shooting along with a few flats of ammo that I'm not sure of. I was thinking about shooting and visiting my grand-kids in one trip this summer. Any one have the answer on how to do it legally?

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Separate the gun from the ammo with a lock. Pretty simple. Nobody is going to stop you and check you for your gun. Where you live has nothing to do with your ability to legally drive with a gun in your car. If in doubt, check the California DOJ website for all of the gun laws.

5. KCDODSON

KCDODSON TS Member

Duane:

Calif penal code 12026.1 & 12026.2 restrict the transportation of a "concealable weapon (handgun)" longguns are not restricted as long as they are not loaded, and not displayed.

You can travel with a handgun as long as it is in a locked container and not loaded, and ammo is not attached to or with the handgun.

enter: Calif. penal code 12026.1 and it will define the law. Also 12026.2

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Dont over think this. Carry your shotgun and ammo as if you were going to your own local gun club. A trap gun is normally carried unloaded so that is a given and moot point. 12026 has nothing to do with carrying a long gun in your vehicle since that law pertains to concealment and per Ca penal code a long gun is not considered concealable.

Where in Ca will you be shooting?

Bryan

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

You won't have any problem with your trap gun Lot of out of state shooters go to the Calif. State Shoot with ammo as well as their guns. I also go to Calif hunting and have no problem with a shotgun.
    Sometimes people who are their own worse enemy.

8. Perazzi_MX8

The State Shoot, wherever it ends up, and then to visit daughter near Redding.

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Glad you can come to make it. Maybe we will cross paths if the state shoot stays at KGC.

BTW....from the gun club to Redding will be over 8 hour drive. FYI.

10. Perazzi_MX8

I was very misinformed by my daughters neighbor when I was out there last. I'm not going to repeat it here and spread more falsehoods, wow did I just sound like Hillary or what......Yikes! Come to think of it he was drinking at the time, too. Thanks for the correct info.

11. skipsor

skipsor Member

Although most of the people who make the laws here are Ricardo Cabeza's don't let them stop you from bringing your trap gun and ammunition into California.

Unless you do something very stupid that would attract law enforcement in large numbers no one will ever know that you have a firearm with you.

Enjoy the state shoot wherever it will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.