1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA shooting cost to rise again?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Speaking with a ATA delegate today I learned that the price of targets is most likely to go up again this year. This will be due to the larger trophie packages that the ATA is forcing on State Shoots and Grands where all the new categories will be used. This to me is an unfair cost to States and Grand shoots. This should a choice made by each state and not dictated by the all mighty ATA.

Do we really need all those new categories? ATA is trying to get more shooters to shoot but in the process are chasing away older shooters. Is it just me or do the ATA trophies suck? A year ago or so I saw a sub junior get a liquor pocket flask as a trophie, his dad still smiles at that trophie. Most of us have won upteen belt buckles, 4 box shell carriers, silver plated dog bowls and silver serving dishes. If the ATA wants to give away this type of trophie year after year at least give it with out the ingraving or tooling on the trophie, just a 3/4" x 3" plate that we can keep and the trophies we dont want can be giver to a young shooter at our clubs. You can not give a kid a shell bag that says 27yd Handicap Champion, PA, State Shoot. Just a thought.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...You can not give a kid a shell bag that says 27yd Handicap Champion, PA, State Shoot..."</I></blockquote>If they're the 27 yard handicap champion, why not?

Do you think they'll be embarrassed to use it?

Keller

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

We need more trinkets say some but don't raise target prices to pay for 'em. Sounds counter-productive-doesn't it!!

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bernie -

Before you start knocking the ATA and their trophy packages . . . are you sure the liquor flask was a trophy provided by the ATA? You know that for state and satellite grand shoots the ATA only provides the trophies for the championship events, right? So any trophies for other events are provided by the shoot organizer.

One reason the ATA has a standard package is to make sure that all the different events get similar trophies. This means that prizes will be roughly equal at any shoot you go to (for which the ATA provides the trophy).

I've been to a lot of state and satellite grand shoots in the past 10+ years, and I don't ever recall seeing liquor flasks given as a trophy for a championship event. Not saying it didn't happen, just that I haven't seen it. Again I ask, was the liquor flask an ATA provided trophy?

Since you have stated your opinion with regard to trohies (give them with no engraving, provide a separate plate or plaque), I'll give you mine. I'd prefer it the other way. There's nothing worse than getting a trohpy with nothing on it, so you have no way to knowing what you won or when you won it. Some people like trophies as a rememberance of what they accomplished.

Just goes to show you that it's a tough job to please everyone when it comes to trophies. But I have to say, at any shoot I've been to, usually the ATA trophies are far better than what is provided by the organizer for non-championship events.

Scott

5. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Sure ....trophies are nice .... but I would much rather win a nice silver or gold coin with some REAL VALUE!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get rid of all trophies/trinkets/dust collectors. reduce the cost associated with targets and make just have money payouts.

Have compulsory money and more monetary options for those who dare...

Curt

7. oleolliedawg

It'll be cheaper to move the big dogs back 3 more yards, eliminate over half these new meaningless category awards, money punches and mandatory yardage for crappy scores. Use the money saved to pour more concrete and ATA trap has a chance of succeeding!!

8. JAAS

JAAS TS Member

Amen oleolliedawg.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

You got it Dawg.
    Clyde

10. firedawg

firedawg Member

one or two years ago maybe even three i won a class trophy (open) at the N.J.
    state shoot singles championship. the ATA trophy was an embroiderd soft shotgun
    case. the case would not fit an unsingle 34in barrel. it was too short.
    great trophy ?

john

11. Bobba Woods

Bobba Woods TS Member

Ya that Olliedawg!!!!!!

12. oleolliedawg

Not only that, as wife Tammy suggests, eliminate trophys for the upper classes and hand out some cash instead. Does anyone really not believe Harlan, Kay, Ray or most of the others wouldn't rather have a $100 bill instead of a belt buckle or shell bag. Properly done could save money too!!

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Why not have a vote by shooters on what they think would be the best Trophy's

Draw up a list of Trophy's and vote on them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I always thought the best option would be to give shooters a catalog to choose from, and a "credit" based on what they won. Say you won gun champ, you get a catalog of possible trophies to choose from, and $200 credit. If you don't want a trophy, you can take $150 cash. Seems like it'd be a win-win for everyone.

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

They've been talking about the catalog or premium book idea for a while, and I think Carla is solidly behind it, only, folks like to go away with something in hand, not wait for the brown beetle to show up. PSSA started giving substantial gift cards from Cabela's last year, and this seems a good idea to me, you can use 'em at the store, on line, or go to the bank and get cash for them. They came with a wall plaque stating the event etc. I've also seen some nicely done up scale type wall plaques with engraved emblems, showing the event, date & such. There's always room on my wall for those, if they're not junque.

best...mike

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Where do the catalogs come from...the catalog fairie? The cost assembling, printing and distributing the catalogs, especially the small production runs that will be involved, will add a serious additional expense to the cost of trophies. The offerings will change periodically requiring more new expensive catalogs.

Why complicate the issue?

Keller

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I will knock the ATA trophie packages as they are not equal to many shooters. EX. In NY, class shooters on championship events may win a shooting bag. This has been the custom for as long as I can remember, Vets, Sr. Vets and other catagory shooters for the same events win a 4 box shell carrier. I talked to the ATA trophie rep at the 2011 NY State shoot and his answer was the younger shooters need better trophies.

I have been to every NY state event since 1990 and have paid my dues in shooting for all these years and the ATA feels I'am not equal to a new shooter. This was right from the ATA rep. I'am sorry but I have boxes of ATA engraved trophies that I have never taken out of the box and never will. Most long time shooters need another silver tray or belt buckle like they need another problem in their life.

The problem is the increased cost of the bigger packages. Someone will have to pay and you know it will be the shooters.

The catalog is a great idea.

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A catalog could be something as simple as a 3-ring binder, for which new pages could be printed as the inventory changes. How long does it take to print 10 pages? We're not talking about a Cabelas type printed catalog with hundreds of pages here. We're talking the choice of MAYBE a couple dozen different items.

Also, a website could be setup with all the available options. It would take a few hours time to set up, could be done for free, and changes could be made in a matter of minutes.

19. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Sounds like the ATA is continuing on their trek down the dumper.

20. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

This is a sore subject with me. I do the trophies for our state shoot and it is a tough job to keep everyone happy. I understand the ATA trophies were not as desireable a few years back but they have improved. I have a moral dilemma when I am given the resident trophies to give out for the Championship events and I order better trophies for the Non Res and Open Categories. We have more latitude withe the prelim events but it is expensive and finding new trophies that are not crap are hard to find. I wish the ATA would give each state a budget and the states could add money to the trophies if they want. We give category trophies that only 2 or 3 shooters have a chance to win and most of our shooters are class shooters like me. Frustrating but we do our best. Just my 2 cents. Please come to our state shoot up here in Maine. Thanks, Al Baker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

average cost to shoot trap