1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Shoot Survey

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Our club has over 20 ATA registered shoots a year. Our goal is to increase attendance at these shoots. As in most endeavors, we have many different opinions on how to do this from the various members of the Board of Directors.

Last year we made an effort to meticulously set targets. We had got lazy at doing that; but a change in personnel has resolved this as an issue. I love seeing the occasional 100 and a bunch of 98's and 99's as that is a decent indicator we have "good" targets.

Please share your opinions on what triggers your decision to attend an ATA shoot at a particular club.

Target Prices

Atmosphere

Food

Prizes

Saturday or Sunday preference.

Other factors?

Thanks for your help.

Don

2. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

IMHO...

Good, Consistent Targets.

The cheaper the better!

Have some people that can break away to show newbies the basics of registered shooting or trap in general.

Publish your shoot dates and times ASAP on shootata.com. Stick to them! Many clubs don't have a single shoot posted yet. Of the 8 clubs within 75 miles of me, only 4 have their shoot dates posted! Publish them also with your state trap organization, most of them have web sites. Make sure your club web site is up to date and fresh. DO NOT rely on word on mouth if you want new shooters, you are going to get the same old guys if you do.

Make and publish shoot programs on shootata.com, even if they are short and sweet and more or less all the same. Publicity is everything, particularly with the younger, internet savey crowd.

Cash is always a good prize, no more buckles!

Sat or Sun? I like either, although Saturday tends to work better. Don't be afraid to schedule a shoot on the other day if a near-by club is shooting the same weekend.

I like to see venders and discount reloading supplies. Encourage the local stores to show up.

3. Kent

Kent TS Member

Not knowing if most of your ATA shooters are club members or not, and do not know what you consider good attendance at your shoots, I would first say that 20 registered shoots a year may be too many.. One a month with good attendance is beter than 2 or 3 with just a couple of squads.

Yes targets are important but also shoots of some consequence other than just registering targets is also going to bring in the more serious competitor.

A medium sized shoot can be 2 days with the biggest crowd on Sunday for the weekend warriors which most of us fall into that catagory.

good luck.

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Patience is not one of my strong suits! Besides properly set targets, at fair prices, the most important thing to me is start on time and keep the damn thing moving! Wasteful delay time between events not only costs the clubs labor dollars, it pisses me off when the 16 yard event is over and the caps event lollygags for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes! I understand the first squad out is a problem with long yardage boys next to the last 16 yard squad but even this could be overcome with a short yardage squad being the first one out! Also, some decent lawn care appeals to my eye! Tom Rhoads

5. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

1) Targets
    2) Shoot efficiency
    3) People
    4) Clean restrooms

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

1) Target fees.

2) Limit of 100 singles. I won't go to shoots that insist on throwing 200 singles.

Just my humble opinion..

7. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Roger tcr1146!

Keep it moving along. All the usable traps should be shooting as much as possible with the next squad waiting to shot ready to walk up. You can eat lunch while waiting to shoot, no break needed. All our time is valuable.

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Thank you for asking.

1. Good Targets/well maintained equipment/voice pulls
    2. Shooter Appreciation
    3. Competitive Price
    4. Quick Turnaround events (1 trap for doubles anytime if enough traps)
    5. If compulsive money - $2/entry returned to class/ydg group that paid it
    6. Don't let late squad members shoot early squad next event
    7. Squad Communicaiton - which squad on which trap and who is on deck
    8. Trained score keepers

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good targets first, timely events second, and polite, efficient people squadding and cashing out third. A nice, clean place means a lot too, but if you have the first 3, you probably have that covered.

Just the fact that your asking for this information shows you care. I want to shoot at your club. Where is it?

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we dont dont shoot many- but was at one 2 weeks ago and i cant stand seeing empty traps and shooters waiting! that lag between events is a killer . especially when there is a long drive home!!yes good targets and back grd!

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Setterman,
    It is the Birmingham Gun Club in Michigan:
    8701 Richardson Rd. Commerce Twp., MI 48382
    Call us at (248) 363-9191.

We shoot on Saturdays (10 am to 5 pm) and Sundays (11 am to 5 pm) during the Winter. We also shoot on Wednesdays 11 am to 5 pm) starting in April until December. During the summer we stay open past 5:00 when we have shooters who wish to keep shooting.

We throw the most registered targets in MI after Mason - home of the state shoot.

To all,
    Thanks for the feedback.

Don

12. ajc

ajc Member

1. Distance from my residence.
    2. Quality of facilties (incl. clubhouse, restrooms, firing line, etc.)
    3. Trophies

Thanks for asking.
    ajc

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Don How many squdes do you normally have and how many squades per-hour ? Most of the clubs I shoot it,s $20.00 a hundred with a Wednesday evening registerd at $16.50 and no options . (good deal)

I come to shoot if the programs say we start at 8:30 and it don,t start untill 9:00 it,s a problem . Also no lag time between singles and handicap .

Rhoads needs to mow his grass and sunday is the only day ??

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Well set targets, start on time, as little time between events as is possible, squad hustling and info board, good food, reasonable pricing for targets.

15. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

If there is anyone from Purgatory gun club on this site, please print this and give it to your directors. Bruce

16. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Good Targets are the key.

Starting on time and on multiple traps is great, but good targets will bring me back. That and a trap-shooting jones.

Jim

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

DV: As long I can shoot with you and the mighty Tron that is all that really matters.

You are on the right track and you have a nice club to start with and proper management will make it better.

Don

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Don, though it's not one of your options, I decide, usually, on the closest if I'm just going out from home. All the rest is negotiable; I have a good time no matter what.

Neil

19. 3357

3357 Member

Throw good targets, start on time, run an eficient shoot and keep squads moving. Other than these desires I am pretty flexible. As far as prizes go..... after you win or place in a few shoots, the trinkets, statues and buckles lose there "luster"... I think the two best prizes are ammunition or money. Jess

20. Fox32

Fox32 Member

I think that the number one thing as a club you could do is put the winner or winners on your club website! Stroke the ego! Pt a board in the clubhouse that cogratulates these winners would be a bigboost! Shooters at Sparta wait by the monitors just to take a picture of their name! Have a permenant board in your clubhouse for all shooters that shoot a straight and have them listed by event singles, doubles, handicap, this is a great one! People like recognition! I think the best trophy ever is a jacket with that persons name on it declaring that they are the handicap champ (yardage too) for your main event of the year! Just my thoughts! Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.