1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA shoot software

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by speer130, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speer130

speer130 Member

I am looking for a good software program for our ATA shoots. Currently we use Shoot Compute which is a dos program and we only have one person at our club that can run it. I thought R.J. Stuart sold a progame but he said he no longer does this. Our club needs a new computer and am interested in having a friendy program to work with a newer windows program. Appreciate any advise out there.
    Roy Crichton Bedford, Pa

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

3S from George Cook.....it's what we use for our cashiering business.
    Easy to use.

Rick in Mt.

3. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Roy,
    We were in that spot in 2007. ShootCompute crapped out on us during our June shoot. We couldn't get any support, no return calls, nothing. We went right to 3S for our July shoot, and never looked back. What a pleasure to use. I couldn't say enough on this site to give George Cook the praise he deserves.

Bill Radwan - Glen Park Izaak Walton

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

I know of several clubs that use Triple S software. I don't have contact info. Maybe someone else will jump in that can be of more help.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If you go to the top of the main page on this site just above the banner at the top it says.

"Please visit and patronize our advertisers whose support helps maintain this site!"

If you click on the word "advertisers" It will open a page and the first advertiser is 3S software.

Bob Lawless

6. speer130

speer130 Member

Thanks to all for the input on the software
    Roy Crichton

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Roy, we recently set up to use the 3S software. We have three networked computers- one each for classification, squading and cashiering. The software works. The guy who set it up has been using it for years and knows it inside and out. He says the support is superb.

All that being said, the learning curve is STEEP. It is not intuitive. In fact, I would call it quirky. It is a Royal PITA to use on a single computer. That's why we went to three. I'd recommend you look before you leap. If you decide to buy the package, give yourself plenty of time to learn it. Don't plan on installing, then using it for a big shoot the next weekend.

BTW, you'll need a good laser printer, and you'll go through a LOT of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.

8. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

I Agree with ZZT we always used RJ Stuart's program. it is in dos. but it is a very good program. he would put updates on his website. but now it is gone. we have tried sss to run a shoot but we could not figure it out. so we went back to rj's program. Rick

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I'm at a loss why you guys think 3S is so difficult. #1 advantage over everything else I've seen is that you can view the page or report you are about to print, unlike ShootCompute. We run a monthly shoot with 3 events. We use a cheap ink-jet printer and DON'T use a lot of paper. In 2007 when ShootCompute crapped out, we were up an running the next shoot in July using 3S without a hitch.

A short story is needed here. In January 2008 my wife retired. So she started coming to our ATA shoots. I think to keep tabs on me. At our March shoot, our classifier was late, so I started classifying and entering into the computer started to back up. My wife has watched before entering the shooters, positions and options. Next thing I know, she took my spot entering shooters into the computer, and I began cashiering. And she is not that computer literate. She then took over entering the scores and printing out the score sheet to post on the board. Later I prepared a cheat sheet of what to do when an event finishes. She does it all while I'm out shooting, usually on the last squad. I then finish up figuring out the class, yardage & category winners and the added money. By the way, she's still doing ATA Sunday. Matter of fact, I'm to stay out of her area till she has the reports ready for me.

I could not see us using another program. And the times we've had issues, usually self created, George was there to answer the phone, even at 7 am, or there was a time at 8 pm one time. George's website has a forum where users post issues, but if you look, there aren't that many.

Forgive me George, but I do get carried away.

Oh, and George helped us set up a "sneaker network". We sign up at a main house where breakfast & lunch is served, then back up the shoot, and restore it at the traphouse about 150 feet through the woods. Been doing this for 3 years now. Technically this is set up for one computer, but we use two.

Bill Radwan - User #279

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

We used to use Shootcompute, and it was a royal PITA. A few years ago, we switched to 3S. There is a learning curve, and I still learn a little more every time I use it, but we would never go back. George has the patience of a saint, is available almost anytime via his cell, and usually has an immediate correct answer for whatever has you stumped.

Our setup has four computers networked. The first is usually used for classification, the second for squadding, and the third for entries, with the fourth used for entries when the load gets heavy. However any of the four can be pretty much be used for anything if needed. Once people are entered and the scores start coming in, we run one or two with the constant scores display so people can see where they stand. When the last event is done we usually have everything done including printing the checks within an hour. People like to get their money before they leave, and it saves us a lot of postage. You'll also like the summary financial report, something you never got with Shootcompute. 3S is the only way to go.

11. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I have been using 3S for about 6 years now and while I admit that I have never used another program, I cannot see why anyone would use anything else.

Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve (I am still learning new 'tricks' on it) but we had a new helper at a shoot yesterday and she had no problem picking up on the cashiering and entering scores aspect of it. I even showed her how to do a backup and she understood that right away.

NOTHING is missed on this program. The part I really like is that you can save all the important reports you need to a flash drive and electronically file your reports with the ATA. Of course, you still have to send the check, membership forms, and the program targets report but not having to print out and pay for sending all those reports makes doing shoot reports much easier.

Plus, as has been stated, George is the absolute best on customer service/support.

Just get the program and you'll never regret it.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata shoot software
ata trapshooting software

trapshooting software