1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Shoot results for Chicago area....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Wolfman, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Note: If I am wrong or don't know where to look, don;'t flame me - just point in the right direction and you all have my apologies for ranting in error.

I have shot several ATA shoots this Summer, and I am deeply agrevated by the inability to find results for any of them (with the exception of Maywood, who pasted a winners list - since I wasn't a winner, I wasn't there but still wanted to see where I wound up).

This is frankly disrespectful to all of the shooters who don't frequent that Club. The purpose of the ATA shoots is to encourage inter-club shooting. They are open to all members of the ATA/ITA, and draw some 100+ shooters.

I would think that at least the ATA, who receives the scores for our averages, would be posting the shoot results. Yet I can find none. I guess I have to question what the ATA is doing for the shooter besides handicapping and publishing a magazine (which I don't subscribe to, as it had little information in it).

For that matter, why can't the local clubs get together and unify the posting either here or somewhere that could be accessed? I would think the additional traffic would benefit trapshooters.com. For Pete's sake, my winter skeet league has results up after every shoot within 24 hours including standings. It's a lot less organized and professional than the larger Clubs for trap.

My apologies in advance to anyone who is offended, and my hope that I just don't know where to look.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

From what I can see registered trapshooting in the Chicago area is pretty much the pits.
    I went to a shoot at Northbrook a couple months ago, and 5 shooters showed up. One shooter I met had driven 2 1/2 hours to get there. They don't promote their shoots very much, nor do they post scores. Maywood hardly has any shoots anymore. St. Charles and McHenry don't have very many shoots either. Contrast that to Wisconsin which seems to be thriving.

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wolfman & Dickgtax. See the DGSC 8/5/07 shoot post. We have a registered shoot every month from April thru October, with the exception of May. We almost always get our shoot results on this board after a registered shoot. That would be the winners list, I don't think it's realistic to put up every shooters score for all events on this or any forum. We do post all scores on our scoreboard for all to see as the scores come in, along with lewis winners at the shoot. Why don't you try us 8/5, I think you'll like it. Harv Shell

4. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Wolfman,

St. Charles posts ATA shoot results on their website:

St. Charles Sportsman's Club

McHenry also posts results to their website at times:

McHenry

Although I understand your concern, you do have to remember that all of the clubs throwing ATA targets around here are managed by volunteers. It takes a lot of time to plan, coduct, and document a registered shoot and not many folks are willing to help out. The standard method for broadcasting shoot results has been to send them to Trap & Field for many years, and it takes time to change that.

dickgtax, I think the limited number of shoots in Northern IL is mainly due to a lack of volunteers at the clubs. I certainly can't blame people for not wanting to help run an ATA shoot, as it is a ton of work with little reward. I personally hate to work them (I'd rather just show up and shoot), but I do it to make sure that my club is successful.

--Dan

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Dan, Thanks. I did find them, and appreciate it.

My contention is that most (if not all) of the clubs are loading the results onto a spread sheet or scoring program. It should be relatively easy to load these up to a website. In another life (other sport to be exact), we accomplished this 10 years ago.

I know it is all volunteers, and I REALLY appreciate the time and effort that goes into an event. However, it seems to me that if you go to the length of inviting people and want them to come, some publication of results is in order.

Maywood does a very good job of this, and I was happy McHenry and St. Charles had results up also.

I have noticed the ATA shoots in Northern IL are lightly attended compared to other areas. Why?

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

You know, as a further thought, don't all of the results have to be submitted to the ATA for handicapping and yardage??? Since that ATA gets them by event, and enteres them, why can't they do it??

They have an online looked for your average. It seems that it would be a natural extension of what they are doing, and would be (in my neverf humble mind) a service to the shooters.

7. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

As a member of both Maywood and Downers Grove, I will usually post the results of the ATA shoots that same evening that I get the results usually the night of the shoot. That is if I get them and have time. <br>
    I set up a format to post the scores on TS.com which makes it post ALMOST in a readable format. If any local club would like a copy, I can make it available.
    <br>
    <br>
    this from shockstrap ------dickgtax, I think the limited number of shoots in Northern IL is mainly due to a lack of volunteers at the clubs. I certainly can't blame people for not wanting to help run an ATA shoot, as it is a ton of work with little reward. I personally hate to work them (I'd rather just show up and shoot), but I do it to make sure that my club is successful. (signed dan)<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Well Dan, I think that you hit it on the button. As an ATA shooter who started in the early 70's I can absolutely attest to working EVERY ATA shoot at Maywood for nearly 30 years. (I have also helped out at Downers and a few years back at St. Charles) We used to have 40-45 squads of singles at our (Maywood) bigger shoots, BUT, we also had a whole bunch of help. Now we can't get enough help to run the shoot and allow me (or the other workers) to still shoot the event. Speaking only for myself, I have to go to other clubs to be able to shoot an ATA event peacefully and enjoy the day. I just returned from an enjoyable and peaceful shoot at the Wisconsin State Shoot. Our whole squad regularly works the ATA shoots, but are unable to shoot at our own club any more. The newer shooters have little or no desire to help and have the attitude that the old guys will do it. Talking with some of the other clubs they are getting little support for their ATA programs. If the clubs and their memberships don't want to support the program, where do you think it will go ??????

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Marco Polo: having also started shooting trap at Maywood in the early 70's, I guess I'm "preaching to the choir." At my last visit to Maywood, all I saw was "protection" and "annies." True, they were big back then, but so were the registered shoots. It's sad to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.