1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA rules question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rrrocketman, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Could somebody explain to me exactly what rule #9 in section VII, sub-section A should "look like" in the real world at a registered event?

Yes, I got an expensive "lesson" about proper notations at a registered event!

Thank you,

Rich Redovian
    Cody, WY

2. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

9. To preserve the harmony of the competition, no member of a squad
    shall move toward the next post or leave the field until the squad
    member who is last has fired his/her final shot of the current post’s
    specified number of targets.

Is this the section your are reffering to? If so it is pretty clear in my mind. Do not leave your post until the last shooter has finished. Do not distract any other shooters by walking off the field.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Shoving the next shooter off his post while he's still in the act of shooting is often considered in "poor taste".

jim

4. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

J-a-S, the rule you quote is # 8 in my rulebook printed 01 Sept. 2007. I was referring to rule #9 and how it is actually implemented.

Thanks!

Rich

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the scoresheet being in plain view at all times; that should be deleted as it is never applied. It would be nice, but it does not happen. The best you can hope for is some scorers will hold it up so you can see it when changing stations.

Interesting to note in old pictures of the Grand you can see they had very large scoresheets set up slightly behind the line just past post 5. All shooters could easily see scores as they were recorded. The rule made sense back then, it doesn't anymore.

6. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

rrocketman
    I do not have an old rule book. What is the rule you are questioning?

7. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Thanks 870! Do you have any idea why it's still in there? Could you please explain how I can insure that the scoresheet is correct per rule #10 if an error has been made? Do I need to check the scoresheet between post changes?

Just-a --- 870 nailed it, the scoresheet being in plain view.

Thank you very much!

Rich

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

YOU ALL HAVE AND UNOBSTRUCTER VIEW. JUST WALK TO THE SCORE TABLE OR BENCH AND LOOK AT IT, NOBODY WILL HIDE IT.

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Gee Bob, that must be what the rule really was meant to encourage!

10. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

New to ATA and wonder what the ruling would be in these two examples. First, the scorer calls out 4 when you had 5 and no calls of "loss" after your shots. Second, you run your 25 with no calls of loss and find out you have a loss on the scoresheet when checking it at the end of the round. How do you handle this by the rules? I have yet to shoot any registered targets but have shot a bunch of local shoots. It seems that it happens now and then that one of these situations occur. I don't think anyone wants to check the board after each post but I would be upset if a won or lost by error.

11. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Thanks for the replies! I need to know what the proper etiquette is regarding checking to insure you have been scored correctly after shooting your five birds from a post. Not knowing EXACTLY what to do regarding a scoring error that was corrected but not initialed in the right place cost me nearly $450. An inexperienced scorer and an inexperienced shooter (me) resulted in an expensive lesson that I do not wish to repeat!

I hate to be a pain-in-the-ass to my squad-mates but neither do I wish to get hosed again! Would I be totally out of line to check the tally sheet before moving to my next post? Any and all suggestions will be gladly accepted!

Thank you,

Rich

12. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I started shooting ATA trap in November 1978. All clubs that registered in central Indiana at that time used the large score sheets and had them upside down to the scorer. Black grease pencils were used to score each target.

You could look over any time you wanted to a see how every bird you shot was scored as the score sheet was right side up to the shooter.

No club scores this way anymore. The rule stated above is misleading and should have been removed long ago.

13. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Rich and DA,

After the last person has fired the 5th shot on a post the scorer should call out the scores for the post. Make sure that your 5 shots are correct. If it is not, question the scorer right there. Make your case, hopefully one or more of your squadmates will back you up. However, the score keeper's decision is final as to change the score or not.

At the end of a round of 25 or 50 (if 10 shots per post), check your score on the score sheet. If there is a discrepency where, what you heard is not what is recorded, again present your case to the score keeper. I am not sure if you can insist the squad leader NOT sign/initial the score sheet if the score keeper does not correct the score sheet, since your next option is to file a protest to management.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.