1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Rules Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chipshot, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

Now, before everyone runs a grabs the current ATA Rule Book and starts quoting from it, this thread is about why we have a couple of rules. I have the current rule book and can read.
    First is the muzzle velocity restriction. Why restrict 1-1/8 ounce loads to 1290 fps, etc? Would a faster velocity really give you an advantage? Why not just limit all shot weights to say, 1350 fps?
    Second, the rule on handicap yardage, in particular, the "standing on the correct yard line" rule. Now I understand why standing on a CLOSER yard line would be grounds for disqualification, but if I'm so stupid/inept (or whatever adjective you'd like to substitute) or just not paying attention and stand at the 21 or 22 vice the 20 yard line for one or more posts, what advantage have I gained? Why make a shooter re-shoot the hits from the wrong yard line or DQ the score for standing farther than assigned?

Just wondering,

Bob Mizner
    ATA Life Member 9801608

2. dzneff

dzneff Member

Trapmobilepilot,
    Your questions do not deserve answers.
    Dennis

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The questions do deserve answers but I don't have very good ones. The speed issue could be a real safety problem for many clubs with a shotfall distance concern and unregulated speed combined with someone breakin the rules for shot size 7 1/2 could cause major problems for the club and the sport in general. If Handicap shooters were allowed to shoot at the "Yardage de'jour" instead of their official yardage this would again lead to general chaos instead of a well managed tournament where everyone is required to follow the Association rules.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Trapmobilepilot at the risk of insulting your intelligence I will quote you and the rule book. "I have the current rule book and can read."

C. RULES OF CONDUCT OF AN ATA SHOOTER (page 8 of the online rule book)

Each member will be furnished a copy of these Official Trapshooting Rules,
    and it is assumed that the member will read and understand each rule.
    Members are strongly encouraged to know these Rules and abide by them
    for their own benefit and for the benefit of other shooters.

1. By entering the competition, every contestant agrees to accept all official
    decisions and to abide by these Rules.

I can't find anywhere in the rulebook where it says that anyone that doesn't like a particular rule can readily question it or bring it up to see what kind of DoDo he can stir up

I guess it is because unless you have a better grasp of the problems and complaints of the members than the BOD and EC does it probably take the rest of the year to make you understand the uniqueness of the rules you are questioning.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.