1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA rules question - re: yardage reduction

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hubcap, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

According to my ATA rule book the 1000 target review has a "break point" of 89% for the Eastern & Southern zones, but the other zones are 90%

Why does your zone of residence influence whether you get a reduction or not?

Thanks

hubcap

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

The alitude makes a difference.

Foggy

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Something is different, but I can not figure out what the difference is with much certainty. Background is one factor.

Handicap scores in the low to mid nineties will win a trophy at many shoots in the South, but the same scores in the West will simply end up in the middle of the pack.

Foggy- Higher altitude and the resulting low air resistance will make a difference at some Western Clubs, but it will not explain all of the differences.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

4. laura!

laura! Member

I'm not sure but it could have something to do with humidity. The south and east are very humid. That humidity not only affects the way the targets fly, but also how they break. A clay target that has absorbed moisture can actually get "swiss-cheesed" and not break, whereas out west they'd shatter. Obviously if you hit the target really well its gonna break, but we're only talking 1% here. Even really good shooters usually have at least 1 target in 100 that they don't break well - particularly in caps.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a thought that the Western Zone could be split in half between North and South just for the purpose of reduction break point. The Southern States could have the break point raised to 91 and the Northern States and Provinces could leave their break point at 90. This scheme would make it more competitive to shoot where top dawg 27 yarders dominate the Handicap events. Of course I live in the Northern portion of the Western Zone where the 90% break point seems to work OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.