1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Rules Question for Pat Ireland.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BL350, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Mr. Ireland,
    Since you create so much turmoil with questions, Here is one actual happenning @ the PA State Shoot. A doubles squad in front of us started with only four shooters. They almost completed their first post when the "late shooter arrived." He stepped up to the line and started shooting the last pair on his post. The "full squad then finished the 25 pair sub-event" The late shooter then made up the targets AFTER the squad finished the sub-event on that trap. Is this procedure correct? Is their a specific rule? Or does shoot management declare the correct shootup method?
    Waiting for a reply......Respectfully Jet Boat Bill

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If it's not there yet, there is/will be a rule that you can make up one post. The way the shooter did it is fine.

Neil

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill (and Neil)- Making up the targets is fine, but the manner they were made up was out of order. He should have made up the targets before the squad moved to the next post (Sec V A) and not after the others in the squad had completed the sub event. If I were managing the shoot, I would declare that no harm was done and accept the scores.

Someone else could get real fussy and claim that the entire squad shot the targets after the late shooter arrived out of order and require them to be shot over. That would, in my opinion, be counter to running a good shoot and helping shooters as much as possible.

Pat Ireland

4. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Pat & Neil,
    Thank you for the quick response. I believed that the targets had to be made up BEFORE the squad moved to their second post and PA shoot management confirmed this, but they did allow the squad scores to be posted as no other problems or complaints were observed.
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In trapshooting it is common practice to make up the rules as we go. As Pat said only real fussy people want the rules to be followed as they are written. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.