1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Rulebook Changes as of 9-1-11

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From the ATA:

ATA Rulebook Changes
    August 2011
    Section IV, ATA Tournaments A. Registered Shoots (Page 12, 2b)

b. each contestant must pay an ATA daily registration fee of $3.00 for each day of competition at each shooting location ($1.50 fee for Big 50 events), and such Zone or State Association fees as may be charged, and

2. In Handicap there shall be no more than two (2) yards difference between adjacent shooters in the squad, and no more than a total difference of three (3) yards in a squad. If 18, 19 or 20 yard shooters are in a squad, there shall be no more than one yard (1) difference between adjacent shooters in the squad and no more than a total difference of two (2) yards in the squad.

Section VI, The ATA Handicap System C. Handicap Yardage Assignment (Page 23)

2. New sub-junior shooter – a new male shooter who has not reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 19.0 yards. A new male shooter who has reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 20 yards. All additional yardage increases or reductions will be earned.

Flights and Angles (Page 48, Third Paragraph, Last Sentence)
    Where terrain allows, a visible stake may be placed on the centerline of the trap on the arc of a circle that has a radius of 50 yards and its center is Point B (Point F, Diagram II)

2. Donm

Donm Active Member

Other than the fee change what else is different?

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Everything on the change page above represents a new rule change.

Eric

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why does it refer only to male sub juniors and male juniors? Aren't females subject to the same rules?

Ed Yanchok

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

ED,

Perhaps rules pertaining to young female shooters weren't changed.

Eric

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

The rule about squadding short yardage shooters is not new. It took effect in this (2011) target year.

Tim

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The wording of the short yardage squadding rule was changed slightly.

We had a person who insisted that the short yardage squadding limits only applied to squads that consisted of 18, 19 and 20 yard shooters, i.e., only to squads that had each of those yardages on them.

Rather than, as it was intended, that it applied to squads of 18, 19, or 20 yard shooters. So the word "and" was changed to "or."

New female shooters, regardless of age, are assigned a handicap yardage of 19 yards. Whereas new male shooters are assigned a handicap yardage of 20 yards, <i>except</i> in the case of new male sub juniors who are assigned a handicap of 19 yards. The change in this rule is that when a sub junior moves into the junior age group they won't be moved to the 20 yard line, as they were under the previous rule. It was felt that it was not correct to move a shooter back just because of age; that moves back should be earned in accordance with the shooters ability.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"The change in this rule is that when a sub junior moves into the junior age group they won't be moved to the 20 yard line, as they were under the previous rule. It was felt that it was not correct to move a shooter back just because of age; that moves back should be earned in accordance with the shooters ability."

Scott just a question not a flame. The previous rule said.

"New sub-junior shooter – a new male shooter who has not reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 19.0 yards. A new male shooter who has reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 20 yards. All additional yardage increases or reductions will be earned."

The question is where in the previous wording does it say in the old rule that the shooter would be moved back because of age?

Bob Lawless

9. ivanhoe

10. ivanhoe

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Bob,

What you quoted is the way the rule now reads, after the change.

The previous rule was:

"2. New sub-junior shooter - a new male shooter who has not reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 19.0 yards. A male shooter upon reaching his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 20.0 yards unless he has previously earned or been assigned greater yardage. (Note: If a male sub-junior has been reduced to the 18.0 yard line by the review process, upon reaching his 15th birthday he will remain at the 18.0 yard line until additional yardage is earned)"

So, we were moving male shooters to the 20 yard line (if they were at a yardage less than 20) when they turned 15 years old. Now we aren't going to do that.

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

V10,

Thanks for the clarification on the yardage rule modification. I enforced it the way it was intended to be from the start. That is, the way it is now worded. I had contacted my Delegate prior to our shoot in Sept. last year and that's how he explained it to me.

Tim

13. ivanhoe

Scott thank you. I did find the rule changes a little later on the ATA website. I tried to remove my post but I couldn't get the site to co-operate I deleted two post because they weren't as written. It seems the words wouldn't post. Then the thread wouldn't move to the top.

Thanks again

Bob Lawless

14. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

The "Flights and Angles" section now suggests you MAY place a 50 yd stake at the proper place rather than requireing it as in the past. Long and short targets will all look the same. You won't know if you're getting a 52yd target or a 45yd target. FWIW I totally disagree!

Jere

15. ivanhoe

"You won't know if you're getting a 52yd target or a 45yd target. FWIW I totally disagree!"

So how do you tell without a 50yd stake?????

Bob Lawless

16. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Jere -

Are you suggesting at a 50-yard stake should be required? What about all the clubs that are not perfectly level from the 16-yard line to the 50 yard stake (which I would estimate to be large percentage of the clubs I've ever shot at). If the ground at the 50-yard stake is not the elevation as the 16-yard line then the 50-yard stake doesn't tell you much. In fact, it can be misleading which I belive is why there is no requirement to have one. Per the rulebook targets can be set by distance or by speed, but to set targets by distance you have to have a 50-yard stake at the same elevation as the shooting platform and targets have to be set in still air. That can be a tough combination at a lot of places.

Scott

17. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Scott

Granted, there are installations where the 50yd stake is impossible, Elysburg being a good example and I'm not suggesting anything. The rule previous to this change states "where terrain allows, a visible stake must be placed on the centerline of the trap"...etc. I still believe that where possible there should be a 50yd stake.

Jere

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

A 50 yard stake is worthless in any kind of wind. Most places have wind.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Without level ground and calm weather conditions a 50 yd stake is worthless. Besides that, it's not likely anyone can tell how close to the stake targets are falling while standing at least 66 yrds. away. That's why I always set targets in late evening with a spotter at the stake and in the complete absence of wind. Woe to the idiot who suggested a few more turns on the spring would somehow make the targets more legal when the weather turned windy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.