1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA rule question/opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mich746

mich746 Member

I was at Maryland state Friday, first squad shooting. We were having problems with the trap from the start. We had to stop twice on the first post, then again on the second post. No birds or very erratic birds. We called the range master and he tried to make adjustments as best as he could. I asked if we could start the round over because it was obvious that there was a serious problem with the thrower. About 8 shots were fired and the 3 man squad lost about 15% of the targets. I was told NO. We moved to the next house to finish the last 75 targets. Does ATA have a rule for this? If you were in charge how would you have called it?

Let me add that it was not upsetting, and it was a great event and a most enjoyable weekend of shooting.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Rick said.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Never shoot on the first squad, unless your shooting with the big dogs. HMB

4. mich746

mich746 Member

"Never shoot on the first squad": Yes, lesson learned. I thought it was strange that we only had a 3 man squad, now I know why.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Count this as a learning experience and read the rule book. It's almost all in there. Good luck and have fun.

6. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

And once everybody signs up for squad ten or better and the first nine squads are empty, guess who's headed out first....

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

MNGuns......Thats true on the little shoots also. lol

9. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Years ago I once went to a local club and was the first squad out for singles. The fields faced east and I could not shoot well at all in the morning as the sun was brutal. Lesson learned. A month later I was back and signed in early on the 4th squad. While waiting outside, they finally went on the loud speaker system to call the first squad (#4) to the line and it wasn't even a full squad. I thought I was fine by sighing up on the 4th squad but was still the first squad out shooting directly into thr sun. Never again.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Lesson don't sign up until they start.

Don