1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA rule on slow pulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Brother Shooters - I've downloaded your rulebook, but I can't find your rule regarding 'slow pulls'. Can somebody point me to correct Chapter and Verse?

Page number?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rule VII E(no target) 6, page 31. The term "material interval of time" is typically defined by the shooter.

Pat Ireland

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ty

Short, simple, and seems to make sense.

Any problems enforcing something that simple? Are there ways to "game" that rule?

4. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Proper answer: What Pat said.

Sarcastic answer:
    mrskeet410, I will assist you as I have had the pleasure of being assisted and taught on this site in regards to rules questions and the rule book: Quit whinning and just ask for another target. If your not smart enough to ask for another, then you only have yourself to blame.
    Also, my new education on the rules includes the unwritten " Leo and Neil" eyeball and set the targets rule. BTW, does anyone know what page the Leo and Neil super human eyeball/slow pull atomic target time delay interval rule is on? Now that's funny, I don't care who you are...........

5. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Those voice release microphones can be as hard of hearing as a human puller, especially in the frequency range of some shooters' voices.

I have witnessed a mike working fine for three shooters, working fine for the first two targets for a fourth shooter, balking numerous times for that shooter's third target, and then working fine for the rest of the round. What's up with that?

What drives me up the wall is watching and hearing a shooter use a conversational tone to call for a target and not getting it, then leaning over and shouting into the mike and getting a target, mounting his gun and calling in that original conversational tone and not getting a bird. How does shouting into the mike equate with standing there and, essentially, whispering for a target to shoot at?

Roger C thanked this.
  6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I agree with Jim Brown. Microphones CAN and DO give slow target pulls from time to time for various (and sometimes unknown) reasons. I call it "ghosties" in the system. Some shooters "calls" the microphones don't like.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. joshif

joshif TS Member

A lot of the slow pulls from a mic. is caused by the shooter calling while the trap is almost cocked or the VR is almost timed out. The trap will not fire while cocking and the VR will not fire while timed out. If the shooter calls at 1.5 sec. after the last shooter he may get a slow pull as the VR will trip the trap on the LLLL or the AWWWWWWWWW or his call,if the trap has cocked.Thus the shooter see's a .5 sec. delay. Most no targets are caused by calling WAY too soon and the VR and trap aren't ready. The shooter opens his gun, moves the mic.closes his gun ( which takes at least 2 sec.)and calls. He gets a target, he thinks he fixed the problem. WRONG! Next target he calls too soon and the process starts all over. You can't fix STUPID!

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

The rule on slow pulls is that it is a no target. In the heat of battle and with voice callers, most scorers could not tell if you called or not or if the bird that just flew was from you or was it an overcall. Frequently the overcalls are quite obvious to the shooter but are they to the person who can say FF? There is a lot of latitude here, but I can cheerfully and thankfully say that I have only witnessed what I would call cheating once and that was the first year the rule changed to 2 FFs per round. Following that experience, I talked with the appropriate people and have never seen that behavior since.

If I feel the target did not appear on time - there is a very good chance that I will take the gun down and not fire. At that point I will unload my gun and check the connection to the mic. I will stand back up and use my shooting call. If it looks good, I will get back on the scorecard.

9. chunk

chunk TS Member

Earl--I love Frank Little's VHS Tape from Indiana Club, too. I have two questions; 1. Is his boy and "Portia", the girl in the tape, still shooting? 2. Don't you ever wonder how he got those styrafoam cups to stay on top of the trap house with that wind blowing? Of course lead was cheap then...he probably had the bottoms of the cups full.

Speaking of lead...why don't you see bags of lead shot holding down the speaker stands anymore...or holding doors open at club houses?

10. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Unfortunately, Frank Little's son, Mike I think, committed suicide prior to Frank's untimely death from brain cancer.

Frank's daughter was scoring at the Grand one year and told a shooter that she would not allow him to continue to turn down her prompt pulls. When she called the next one lost, the shooter called for a line ref who over-rulled her scoring. That was the last straw for her and she no ended her participation in ATA shooting. Frank told me this story himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

people using mic to pull trap targets on time