1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Rule On Calling A Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I looked through the ATA rule book and I could have over looked it. What is the rule on calling a target? What is the rule when a scorer can't hear the call of the shooter? Should the scorer cater to the shooter or should the shooter call louder?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why does the scorer need to hear your call in the first place? Thats what the CVR is there for.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Matt many clubs don't have CVR's just like many clubs don't have computer services.

Bob Lawless

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My bad. I didn't realize that. I would say the shooter needs to speak up then. If all the shooters on the squad can't be heard then it is the scorer.

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Why are we always looking for an ATA rule on things like this? The fact is that if the scorer can't hear the call, the shooter won't get a target. Eventually the shooter should figure out he has to speak up.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

If you want a good target, give a good call. Don't be a pussy, CALL for the target.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How can the scorer "cater to the shooter" if he can't HEAR the shooters call? Pretty hard to read the shooters lips when you're behind him.

John C. Saubak

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

9. ivanhoe

For a few seasons this topic has been ignored here. Instead the wise A**es say I can't believe the "Hog Callers* on the squad ahead of us. He was setting off trap on fields on either side of them.

If you shoot at a club(for any length of time)that human pullers that can't here you. You raise your call and it becomes automatic. Then when you go back to CVR's you will set off traps next to you.

I don't know about you but the last thing I want is to think about is the volume of my call when I am trying to concentrate on the targets. The call should be a reflex not something you need to think about. If the puller is more than one yard behind the 16 yard line he is to far away. JMO

Bob Lawless

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen a puller position himself only 1 yard behind the 16 yard line?

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I can honestly say that I have never ever seen a puller on the 17 yd line.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just sound off like you got a pair!!

Curt

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The shooter should call louder if he expects a target.

14. Auctioneer

The reason I'm asking is because I had a shooter that has a soft light call. He wanted ME to stand behind him and score. I told him to call louder. He refused to do so and got mad as hell. Is there a rule in the ATA book about calling for a target?

15. ivanhoe

Doesn't mean it isn't possible though does it????

Bob Lawless

16. Auctioneer

The person in question does not have a health issue. They just don't WANT to raise their voice or change their call at all.

I have had scorers that were either pulling late or early. I would turn and look at them and ask them if they are having trouble hearing my call. They would say yes. I said OK. My call was louder and after the station I would smile and ask them is that better? They would then smile back and say yes and thanks.

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: He wanted ME to stand behind him and score.

He needs to shoot another sport such as skeet or sporting clays if he wants the scorer to stand behind him.

Enough said...

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This is a reasonable question. Stationing yourself behind one contestant is unreasonable. You would have to run from station to station to be fair to all the shooters.

In the rule book Section VII C 2 it uses the term "recognizable command". I know that this section doesn't directly deal with the question at hand. Still, I think it's reasonable to use that term. Your call must be recognizable. That's the only reasonable way to interpret this.

Another way to judge this is to ask the shooters on either side. If they can hear him, then it's an issue with the scorer. If they can't, then the shooter needs to speak up.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with this. I can hear even the quietest calls from station one when they are on five. Yes, there have been days when I was pulling, and I had to stand closer, but I've never had a guy I couldn't hear at all. That guy must have been whispering. I'd be surprised if you were the first to have trouble with him.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have seen shooters who have trouble calling loud and shooting good scores use a whistle to call for the target. A louder noise with less effort and body movement.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I had no idea there were still clubs with hand pulls. I would rather stick my hand in a blender and hit frappe'. You remeber? The button all the way at the end of the blender.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.