1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA rule book

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I haven't shot ATA in a few years due to health reasons. I was reading an outdated ATA rule book recently and I have always felt that anyone who participates in any sport, including trapshooting should better know the rules.

With that being said, I strongly believe that an unknown percentage of ATA shooters do not know the rules or even carry the rule book with them to a shoot.

I have talked to shooters in the past and some felt the ATA rule book is to confusing and to hard to find what you are looking for in the middle of a shoot should some thing about the rules come up.

Vic Reinders was a friend of mine who at one time rewrote the ATA rule book. If I had a question about the rules, he would always say "look it up". As for Vic, he did not seem to have a hard time finding what he was looking for in the book.

Has their been any talk, or do you think there is any need to condense the rule book and make it a bit easier to find what you are looking for as not to cause longer delays at a shoot should the need arise?

Steve Balistreri

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I keep a pdf version of the latest rules on my smartphone. Makes it easy search...

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Condense it????? wouldn't that only make it more confusing????

It has an index in the back, how hard can it be to find anything???

People don't understand it? Have they read it???? Can't they ask about the things they don't understand (if they did read it)????

How is re-writing the book going to change anything if as you state a great many don't know it (meaning they have not read it) or don't carry a copy to the shoots????

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

You should also note that very little of the actual rulebook is about the "rules", so finding an answer to a question about a rule isn't that hard. There is a lot of space taken up by how to run a shoot, the bylaws, zone shoots, all-american points, etc.

Scott

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Where is the trap line layout w/the 16 yd line to trap pedestol setting height
    I could not find that info out on page 47 & 48 of the rulebook.

Gary

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

If a shooter does not 'know the rule' and gets burned by it, too bad!
    Shooters responsibility. Besides that, it's not rocket science.
    You're probably (sadly) right re: not many shooters know the rulebook.

Tim

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Gary:

There is nothing in the rulebook that refers to the "trap pedestol" so that is why you cannot find it. It refers to the height of post 3, or alternatively, to the height of the trap arm in the house when these two points are not the same.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

BigM-Perazzi:
    Great idea putting the rule book on your smart phone.
    Steve

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

there is also a direct link to the rule book from this site under "Fun Stuff"

I have started taking my I-Pad with me as I have noticed some clubs have wi-fi, here in the "backward" country.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Gary, you mean pg 54,55,56?

There in mine. Of course your rulebook predates 1996 when many rules and distances and angles were changed..

11. bas

bas Member

The current hard copy version of the rulebook (9/1/2011)has had many modifications since it was printed. The most uptodate version is on the ATA website and is the one you to which you should refer. I find it easier to carry the paper rule book in my shooting bag and if the changes pertain to shooting rules, I jot down the change. And, yes, there is an index in the back AND the front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2015 ata rule book

ata rule book

ata rules book

ata shooting rule book

ata trap rule book

ata trap rules
ata trap rules and regulations
ata trap shooting rules book