1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA renewal form - Bad timing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Harv Shell, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Usually look forward to getting my renewal in the mail and sending it right back with a check. This time it's going back with a letter and no check until this mess get's straightened out. I know the $20 is a drop in the bucket, but if 7,000 of us held off that would cover the expense money. IMHO it's excessive and goes against our bylaws besides putting the organization in jeopardy of losing our tax status.
    And yes, I have already talked to my delegate about this mess and his position on it. I hope all you ATA shooters have contacted yours. Harv Shell

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Harv, whether the masses share your opinion or not, you are to be commended for taking a stand. And since there's no penalty for late renewal, waiting to renew is painless for the member. Unfortunately, we life members don't have that leverage.

Ed

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have also Harv!! This must be cleared up and not swept under the proverbial magic carpet! Hap

4. Harv Shell

Ed, it will be interesting to see what comes first from the EC, reform or a penalty for late renewal. Besides talking to my delegate I see it as my only way to vote, per se. Harv

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What mess?

6. royboy

royboy Member

What are you talking about???????

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Yes, there is no late fee to renew to the member, BUT, if you shoot registered targets, the club you shot them at will be billed by the ATA to pay your dues for allowing you to shoot without having checked to see that your dues are current.

8. dshot

dshot Member

Harv, thanks for taking a stand, yes I talked with my delegate and will follow-up on what he says.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I would think that any member upset over this fiasco would not be shooting registered targets. Remember, shooting at registered targets is not something that any of us HAS to do.

Ed

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Harv,

I always knew you were a man that stands by his convictions and I applaud you and everyone else for taking a stand ... I being a Life Member do not have that leverage like Ed said but my Delegate will be hearing from me, I hope he will have definitive things to say and be ready to stand up and say them in Sparta when all of the chips are down ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

AveragEd

"I would think that any member upset over this fiasco would not be shooting registered targets."

Ed just out of curiosity who would not shooting Registered Targets hurt. Certainly not the EC or the BOD, no the only one that that will be hurt by unproven accusation. Is the shooter is the only one that will be punished by a boycott.

JMO but I think this is bad advice, some I would never take.

Bob Lawless

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Terry,

Do you really think the EC will respond, personally I feel that they feel they are above the law and if the membership don't like it thats tough shit ...
    The ATA does not need the likes of the EC as it stand because anyone can milk the system just that most people will not and boast how much they do out of their own pocket which as it turns out is false as in a out right lie ... The EC owes the membership some absolute answers, that goes for former EC members also and without the answers they having nothing coming and deserve what they get in the end (no pun intended) ... They obviously been getting paid to jam their agendas down the memberships throats, now its pay back time ... You must be the only Delegate that never got money to attend the Grand like ours does but its all on the up and up and everyone is aware of it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Could anyone spell out what is the current problem with the ATA's tax staus? What has to be done to correct the problem? All I want to do is shoot. Keep all the politics in DC where they belong.

Phil Berkowitz

14. perga1

perga1 Active Member

i too am a Life Member and can't vote with my renewal. I just shot my first registered targets in over a yearlast week at the Eastern Zone in NY but I will not shoot another until this mess is rectified. I shot trap for years before I joined the ATA and enjoyed it just as much. The clubs need your participation whether registered or not. JRM

15. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

Hey Harv, Could you and the rest explain what you are so upset about, I haven't gotten my renewal yet and at a loss for what's going on. Steve F....

16. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Renew your membership on time, deal with any politics through your delegate, help make the ATA a stronger organization. It appears that we have members who would rather see the ATA fail than work to fix it.

Attend the Grand American & have a great shoot!

17. Harv Shell

Terry, there's plenty of operating capital now to get the organization through this, UNLESS nothing is done and it remains status quo. I thank you for your time and dedication to the ATA, but I don't think telling the membership goodbye will help in this situation. I for one hold Mr. Glatz' opinions in high regard and we need to dig this up, not bury it. We have to get to the bottom of this, or you may be the last shooter left to turn out the lights. Harv

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The best way to stay involved is through your state organization. Your state's directors should formulate a response to the EC's irresponsible actions and advise the delegate (and alt's) as to your state's postion.

If the delegate does not do what the state's member's have mandated, then you can vote them out at the next state shoot or at a special election.

We in Delaware will have all this correspondence up on our website soon so all our members can weigh in on the situation and be aprised as to our delegate's actions.

Curt Jones - DTA President

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Terry,

I will not quit being a Life Member insures that, not that I would want to anyway ... So, back to my question, "do you think the EC will respond" ... The fact that some Delegates get some incentive to attend the Grand is not unusal but as I said its totally above board and on the up and up ... Honesty, Integrity, and Honor seems to be missing in some circles, but not all of them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Harv Shell

For those not aware of what is going on, go to the "Times Like These" thread. It's all there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.