1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ata questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hdbrs, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

i went to a shoot last weekend and joined the ata. will i get something in the mail like a card or something so i have proof when i go to the next one. i threw away the receipt i got not thinking i wouldnt need to save it. secondly what is the proper way to set up a pat trap. a couple guys think ours may be shooting a little high after the winter. there is a pole at our club and a mark out in front of the trap and the guys say the bird needs to just skim the pole. i searched around but i figure someone here has the exact numbers. thanks alot Ben

2. James344

James344 Active Member

Download the ATA rulebook from the website. It has all the rules of trap setup in there. Includes speed of targets and height at a certain distance.

You will receive a blue membership card you need to register at a shoot and an average card in a week or two. If you shoot before then, try printing your average card from the ATA website. You may need to contact the ATA to get a temporary password though.

3. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

you made that one easy James. thanks

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It might well have been a good idea to save your receipt showing you paid to join until you receive your average card and Membership hard card. It just acts as proof paid.

Good luck and welcome to ATA Registered shooting.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hdbrs get a 9.5 ft piece of 2"inch PVC, a 2" Pvc Tee and cut another 4'ft piece in half, put the tee on the 10'ft piece and the 2' pieces on each side to make a tee. use this at a point level w/trap out 10'feet that will set the height.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

From page 48 of the ATA Rulebook in part...

E. FLIGHTS AND ANGLES
    Singles targets shall be thrown not less than 49 yards nor more than 51 yards. Distance measurements are on level ground in still air. Targets shall be between 8 feet and 10 feet high, when 10 yards from Point B. The recommended height is 9 or 9 1/2 feet. The height at a point 10 yards from Point B is to be understood to mean height above an imaginary horizontal straight line drawn through the post and Point B. (See Diagram II) (See also the alternative to setting by distance - setting by speed - in Section F, following.)

www.shootata.com is website and you can download the full rulebook

best regards,

Jay

7. wrd

wrd Member

Go to Sears and buy a magnetic protractor for $10. Aim the machine down the middle of the field and set the table to 22 1/2 degrees. This will give you 9 1/2 feet of elevation at 10 feet from the launch point. Adjust the tension on the launch spring to send the bird 50 yards plus or minus one yard.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"This will give you 9 1/2 feet of elevation at 10 feet from the launch point."

wrd you and Dr longgone need to get your facts straight if you are going to assist someone. 10 Feet is incorrect it is 30 feet or 10 YARDS.

Bob Lawless

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

hdbrs,

Seeing that you did not save your receipt and if you go to another shoot before you get your actual card, you may be required by the Club to again pay for membership. The reason being is that any club who takes a shooter's word that they have paid up their dues is held responsible for paying said shooter's dues if he/she is not actually paid up. It used to be the on shooter but no more. Now they bill the Club and the Club has to "go after" the shooter.

If a Club requires you to pay again, you can do one of two things if you do. Either ask the ATA to refund your double payment (once everything is processed) or they will apply it to next year.

Good luck and welcome to the ATA!

Tim

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

setting targets is not a 9.5 feet set in stone. Set them for appropriate winds and this may require anything as long as its higher than 8 feet and lower than 10 feet. Be sure your pole is set at the SAME height as your throwing arm. Your grade could be higher or lower so check it with a transit. One thing is the rules say from throwing arm...some could mis-interprit that as in the cocked position or at the point the target LEAVES the arm. That can be a few inches different. IMO its the spot where it leaves the arm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.