1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA # Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz231, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Back in the mid 60's and early 70's I shot some registered targets. I can't find any of my old ATA cards that had my registration number on them. (Really like to come up with a special one, Dan Orlich punched it for me at the grand in 65). Does anyone have any idea how I can find that number so I can renew the membership with that old number ? I have asked the registration office of the ATA but did not get back a real incouraging answer to that question.

Thanks,
    Burton E. Dillin

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

There's only one person on here that may be able to help you and that's Lord Neil. LOL. He may run across this over the next couple of days. Good luck Burt and glad to see you back shooting again. Bob

3. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Burton,

someone on here will have a copy of an old average book. They'll need to know what state you resided in at that time and they will be able to look up your old number.

I know my dad has average books dating back to the late 60's. I won't see him for a couple of weeks, but would be more than willing to help if it takes that long.

Getting a renewal with that number might not be as easy.

Good luck

tom

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I got my ATA number in 1974 but only shot for six months and didn't try it again until 1989. I got my old number back by asking for it - they did some checking and found it. Because the first two digits of the number were the alphabetical order of your state of residence back then (for example, PA was "44"), telling them the state in which you lived then might help.

Ed

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Break a good score at the Grand after a 30 year absence and the Central Handicap Committee will track you down and confirm you are at the right yardage.

Check with the HOF. They might have the records easily available.

Kenny Ray Estes
    E-mail Address(es):
    TRAP200@aol.com
    Personal Information:
    Phone: 856-358-2947

6. old folks

old folks TS Member

Give me the state you were living in when targets were recorded and I will
    find your number.
    "Old Folks"

7. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Old Folks,

Sorry I'm not good enough on the computer to send this note to you, so I'll post your answer here and hope you get it.

Registered the birds while living in Illinois, starting I think in 1964, then every year until 1972 when I was drafted.

Thanks in Advance,
    Burton E. Dillin

8. NintyT

NintyT Member

Burton,

I have a great majority of the average books (ALWAYS LOOKIN' FOR MORE)going back to 1915. When looking up your name I realized that back during the period you shot in Illinois, the ATA member numbers were not listed with each shooter.

You have a good number of targets registered, and I would be that the ATA office could find your original membership card number.

Steve Johnson

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Burton E. Dillin, if you shot ATA registered targets from 1964 through 1972 and live in Illinois, the first two digits of your old ATA number would start with 17-XXXXX.

Number 17 identified the state of Illinois back in those days. Tom E.

Rick Johnson = Maryland resident ATA numbers started with 25-XXXXX

10. joconnor

joconnor Member

Alan Wilhite has a 1962 average book. I know because I looked at it over the weekend. He is a reader of these threads but I will email him and see if it is in his book. Jerry O'Connor

11. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I looked in the 1962 Average Book and there are no ATA # listed with the names, sorry. Allen

12. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

sorry for getting off topic but a chime just went off in my head, In the post above the name Alan Wilhite, what a blast from the past, I went to school with an Alan Wilhite, ummmm Enid Oklahoma?

Rick

13. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Rick, I went to school in Yates Center Kansas. Allen

14. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Oh well, worth a try, Nice to meet you Alan.

Rick

15. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your first two digits are 17, for Illinois. The next five digits were based on where your last name fell alphabeticaly. I see that a man named Deering is 17-15776 and a man named Dixon is 17- 16645, so your last five digits are somewhere between them, probably starts with 17-16XXX.

Ed Yanchok

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Ed,
    I don't think thats right. Numbers would have to be sequential based on when a person joined the ATA. My Illinois number is 17-23XXX and I joined around 1971.

17. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Dear Mr. Dillin:

Make your reqeust to the Amateur Trapshooting Association, 601 West National Road, Vandalia, Ohio 45377. Their phone number is 937-898-4638. Kathy Key handles shooter information. Her extension is 516 and email: kkey@shootata.com

You can provide the ATA with your full name and the years of your lost targets along with your address & state residence during those years. They would be more than happy to search for your lost targets and send you an updated target history, capturing all of your targets.

I see your name in the 1967 average book at Box 67, Hillside, Illinois. You registered 700 singles (.8928), 500 handicap (.8880) and no doubles. You were at the 22.5 yard mark.

They have done this for me many times in my research of old shooters from our past. Contacting the ATA is the best method for getting those targets credited to you. I can't imagine you having any trouble capturing your old targets but if you do, let me know and we'll do what we can to locate them.

Regards,

Kenny Ray Estes
    Trapshooting Hall of Fame

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dick, I'll muddy the waters even more - I joined in 1974 and my number is 44-09158. If they ran consecutive, my number would be higher than yours.

I seem to recall being told many years ago that they reset the counter every year but don't hold me to that. And I don't know if each state had a counter or if it was a national counter.

Ed

19. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Please believe me when I tell you that after the number 17 for your state the numbers, AT THAT TIME, were based on alphabetical sequence.

Ed Yanchok

20. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

I have taken the advive from this tread and emailed both the ATA and HOF, but it seems their microfiche files only go back to 1973. I had numbers from an October 1965 T&F magazine but that # was no help either org. I believe I have registered between 5 and 7 K 16 yd. birds that I won't get credit for unless I can come up with my old number. I have average books from 65 to 72 but they too do not include my former membership number, that is why TS.com was my best hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.