1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigBadBob, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

How does the ATA determine the membership number when you become a new member? I am thinking it is numerical.

When my oldest son became a member in 2008 he was assigned number 0762xxx. Last night when I was getting ATA numbers and averages to pre-squad some kids for a registered shoot this weekend, I noticed that my new kids this year all had numbers beginning with 1211xxx.

That is almost 45,000 numbers in 5 years if they are issued numerical.

Just curious if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.
    BBB

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Looks like the first two numbers are the year. HMB

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That's the way mine is, it starts with "91". If that's true, then they start over each year rather than issue them consecutively.

4. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Thanks, that makes sense.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The first two numbers use to indicate the State at which you reside. At some point(don't know when as it was well before me joining) they started issuing membership numbers with the first numbers indicating the year in which your membership was created. I started shooting Registered ATA in 2006 thus my ATA number starts 061xxxx. One of the members that has been around the ATA for decades will know when they switched.

6. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I think they changed the format in 1978. I first registered in 1977 and it was the old format then. I don't have an average book here at work, but I have scanned them before I believe there are some 78xxxx numbers. It's in that area anyway.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Used to be that the first two digits denoted the state of residence and the last five were where your name fell alphabetically within your state. State and Province numbers were also in numerical order. New Jersey was 35, New York was 37, Pennsylvania was 44. Clubs also had the same prefixes in their club code numbers used for shoot report purposes.

Ed Yanchok

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

38-01615 - got that number in 1964 @ age 9..

FRedmon

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

#2558 written by hand, signed by L.M.Krieg, Secretary

Date issued: 5/16/46

Broke a 91 singles score at Lewiston, ID for my first registered score. Age 16.

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Now that is some history Big Heap.....

FRedmon

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

1980 was the first year that the first 2 digits designated the year you first joined the ATA. Larry Evans

12. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I was an annual member during the late 70's. In 1980 I became a life member and my card starts with 80.

13. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Larry,

I think it was 1978. If you look through an average book you will see some 78xxxx and 79xxxx numbers in most states. Just my observation.

Shooter R,

I also was a annual member from 77 to 87. When I got my lifetime in 87 my number did not change, still is 57-03968.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.