1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA President's Term of Office should be 5 years

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The term for ATA president should be for 5 years and elected to office by members, as well as the Executive Committee be elected by members to a 5 year term, and all can be re-elected by vote of the members and we could get the ATA back on the right road. Opinions of those interested in office could be stated in trap and field for membership info purposes.

I would nominate Neil Winston to a term of 5 years as President so he could get his cabinent in order to run the ATA properly.

You herad it from me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- The ATA President has no more, or no less authority than any other member of the EC. He simply calls the meetings to order and all other decisions are made by the committee. Neil is now serving his fifth year on the committee. Next year he will hang around the meetings as an ex-officio member. It seems that you now have something very similar to what you asked for.

Pat Ireland

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I nominate Al Gore...

Curt

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Copied and pasted from the "Grand attendance" thread, to which I posted before seeing this one:

I have supported the idea of our ATA president's term being longer than one year for a long time. My thought was two years but the goal is to give a person enough time to get something accomplished. Why should the ATA be different than a gun club? Both are small businesses serving the shooting population and the officers in every club with which I'm familiar serve at least two-year terms. But I suppose it would never work because it's not the way it's always been done...

Ed

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Does the president have the same voting privileges as other members of the EC have at meetings. HMB

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Yes, It has worked great. A hundred years in existance and we couldn't afford our own place. We need a C.O.O., without a term limit, who answers only to the BOD and has the authority to make decisions without fear of the EC overstepping his authority. A real business man! Not another Executive Director who has little authority except to screw around with the office help. JMO! Yours may differ. Jimmy Borum

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I would be in favor of at least a second term for Neil. And I will pass along that thought to my delegate.. Of course that dose assume that Neil would be willing to serve again???

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bob, the problem with your idea and mine is the same - every VP next in line would have their obligatory term as president moved ahead years; in some cases, many years. The ATA would have to set a time for such a change to become affective so as not to upset the vice-presidential apple cart.

Shucks, they could even go to open elections at the state shoots every two to four years and ditch the current GOB system. But maybe that would be too much change at one time for the boys to handle.

Ed

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Ed

Most of the BOD serve for long periods of time. They too must recognizes quality leadership ? I can see no reason for the BOD not to elect the same person more than once ? Other than tradition ?

I have not studied the ATA articles of incorporation and by-laws so I am not sure weather it is possible or not?

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pat Ireland that is the problem, he has no more authority than a voice.

It takes time to accomplish things and the ATA needs improvement, it takes dedicated people to get it done, not the GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB as it is now.

This President has good ideas but does not have the time to implement them.

One thing he does is listen to the shooters, sometimes he does not get the pointas on one topic I discussed here on TS and that is the number of high scores on 2 hole targets versus 3 hole hole targets in the past.

Neil stated 200 still won the singles, but it is the ties that have multiplied
    on the 2 hole targets of now.There were I believe 26 at the southern grand this year. I remember tying for the singles championship with a 199 in the 70s, a 199 won't even get you in a shootoff on 2 hole targets.

The EC is not in touch with the average shooters that support the ATA.
    That is a fact stated here over and over.

You heard it from me.
    Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

A 5 year term seems kind of harsh for just the lapse of common sense to say no when someone asked them to run for the BoD. Maybe 3-5 years with time credited for good behavior and a year on parole as immediate Past President.

12. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

The answer to our problems is simple or complicated whatever you make it. Our current system of being managed and/or run by a EC with support from the BoD is not being successful and/or in the best interest of the membership or sport. A personable efficient single member is without the ability to do anything. Regardless of a persons convicitons or desires. He is only 1 or 5 on the EC and being President, as posted above, only gives him the right to call meetings to order.

We must face facts. Our sport is in major decline. We, not only need too, but must hire General Manager or Director, whatever you may call he/her, and give that person the authority to administer his/her responsibilities. Not kiss the back side of some egotisical EC member that is holding his position for the sake of his ill conceved prominence. Let for forward instead of what we have been doing. - JIm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.