1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA President's name on everything?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CharlesR1100, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I suppose it is just my day to be obstinate, but why must the name of the current ATA president be on nearly all ATA logo merchandise, belt buckles, pins, etc? Some of which I would consider buying but for the personal ID of the Pres.

I have nothing against, or for, Pres. RAY GREB and he may even agree with me, but I see no sales incentive to have his name plasted on this stuff.

I note that this practice also extends to some state T.A. logos. Why?

I think it degrades the ATA logo. This is not a year to year organisation, barely hanging on. It has national stability, so why not make the logo stable and dump the name bit? You do not see the name of the CEO of GM on any grills. And we are a little better than "Ray's Dinner."

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I bought some ATA T-shirts left over from the 2004 Grand with the President's name on the front below the logo. After the second person asked me if I was...(forget the guy's name)...I took a Sharpie pen and scratched through it. The questions stopped. Best Regards, Ed

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

One word covers the question "EGO" and a big one at that.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Years ago, back in the 70's, everyone had name tags on their shooting jackets. Why did that practice end? Just curious. As to the presidents name on everything, I don't know, never really thought about it. The way the shirts are though, it does kind of look as it that would be YOUR name. I'll wait till the Neil Winston shirts go on sale, then everyone will think that I am a genius. Just kidding Neil. John

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Remember Mary sitting at her sewing machine close to the ATA office?

She made a small living stitching on names and patches for shooters.

She was a sweetheart!

Danny

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I agree and have turned down buying items with the ATA's president's name on stuff, especially T-shirts. Fred

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Ray Greb sponsored this thread.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But Fred - where did you get that chance you mention to turn it down? You've not been to the Grand from what I can see so did you turn down an online opportunity? That hardly counts, does it? We all do that all day, every day, after all.

Neil

9. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I think the ATA could make more money by removing the temporary name and having a standard logo. No one person is ever the sole representative of ATA.

I can not think of another major amateur/professional sport, business, profession or trade in which a (commissioner's) name is near always attached to the general logo.

If the ATA is really a mature sporting organisation, and if the Grand is the World Series of trapshooting, it ought to fade the name pasting practice out.

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

We give him that rather than pay him. It works out well for the members.

jim brown

11. Ertz

Ertz Member

Personally I can't wait to go to the 2008 Grand so I can buy a bunch of T-shirts with the name of next years president. Of course that is if I am right in my prediction of who it is. :^)

IMHO, anyone who spends so much of their time and money working like a dog for the ATA (and taking so much crap over petty little things) deserves everything they get.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Aint the Prez a non paying job with the ATA? I would suspect that there is some clause within the rulebook that can be interpreted to the effect of he gets a certain royalty each and everytime his name is used on an ATA logo thusly he is getting paid for being president.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just add this to the list of things certain shooters can whine and bitch about.

Don

14. atashooter

atashooter Member

BCNU - The above website has the pin on badges you were talking about of yesteryear. One page is for trapshooters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.