1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Point System Instruction ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike31z, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike31z

mike31z Member

I am trying to find some good written instruction on the "ATA Point System" with more detail then the single paragraph from the ATA web site is as follows.

ATA POINT SYSTEM The ATA Point System is an option designed to insure that the more targets you break, the more money you win. It is usually found in Handicap events. One money each five entries means that one-fifth of all shooters entered in the purse will be winners. Low score in the money will receive one point, next higher score will receive two points, etc., except that the difference between the first and second scores will be four points, and the difference between second and third high scores will be three points. The total points awarded will be divided into the total money to determine the value of each point. The amount the shooter will receive is the total of the value of each point multiplied by his total number of points.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

mike- The point system purse is good for larger shoots but does not work well at smaller shoots.It is a high score purse. That means if the high score is 96 and two people tied, each would get 1/2 of the combined money for first and second place. The simplest way to envision this purse is that 1st = 10 points, 2nd= 6, 3rd = 3, 4th = 2 and 5th = 1. Each point would be worth 4.55% of the total purse and the club would lose 1% of the total purse.

Pat Ireland

3. RLSS

RLSS TS Member

Mike,

Good question, not many know how this works: including Pat, according to his post above.

Let me try to run you through this easy example:

Let's say it is a 20 dollar purse and 25 shooters play the option on a 100 bird handicap. 25 shooters ( playing the option) x 20 = 500 dollars = Total purse money.

The scores come in as follows:

etc. The rest or the scores don't matter since we have identified the 5 shooters that are going to get paid. Remember 1 in 5. In this case 6 shooters will get paid, you can't pay only two of the three 96's.

Point distribution as follows:

96 = 1 point x 3 scores = 3 points.
    97 = 4 points x 2 scores = 8 points.
    98 = 8 points x 1 score = 8 points.

3 + 8 + 8 = 19 total points. $500 divided by 19 points = $26.315 per point.

Payout per score = 98 x 8 points earned x 26.32 per point = $210.56
    97 x 4 points earned x 26.32 per point = $105.28
    96 X 1 point earned x 26.32 per point = $26.32

This is basically a modified high gun purse where a lower score can not earn more money than a higher score which is common in other purses because of splits.

RLSS

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- You are absolutely correct. My explanation was very clear and very incorrect.

Pat

5. mike31z

mike31z Member

Here is what I have put together in the last couple of days my research is from info that I have had for a couple of years and from and old mimograph work sheet I found at the Spring Green WI trap club.

The ATA Point System ( Modified Rose Point System)

ATA POINT SYSTEM Muscoda: The ATA Point System is an option designed to insure that the more targets you break, the more money you win.

It is usually found in Handicap events. One money each 4 entries means that one-fourth of all shooters scores entered in the purse will be winners. This number can be changed my shoot management prior to the shoot to reduce or increased the number of paid score

This system is based on the lowest score in the money earns (1 point) the next higher score earns (2 points) and so on up. However, if four different scores are in the money, then the difference between 1 st & 2 nd high score will be (2 points) instead of 1. If five or more different scxores are in the money, the the difference between 1 st & 2 nd is (3 Points) and the difference between 2 nd & 3 rd will be (2 points).

The total points awarded will be divided into the total money to determine the value of each point.

The amount the shooter will receive is the total of the value of each point multiplied by his total number of points.

Step by Step instructions:

Step 1: Multiply the number of options players by the purse amount to determine the Total Purse.

Step 2. Divide the number of options players by 4 (this number comes from the printed program for the shoot) and round according to common rounding rules. This will tell you the number of scores that will be paid. Special Note 1: If 4 shooters have a score of 100 this only counts as one number. Special Note 2: Rounding There are three method in rounding (Method 1 commonly use .5 or more round up and less the .5 is rounded down; Method 2 Round up any fraction is rounded up, Method 3 Round Down any fraction is rounded down.)

Step 3: List scores in descending order. You will need 5 columns to finish this process.

Step 4. In the next column assign point value to the scores starting at the bottom with 1 using this guide. These are the points won.

Step 5. Add up the points won.

Step 6. Calculate the point value by dividing the total purse amount (step 1) by the total points (step 5). This will give you the value of each point won.

Step 7. In the 3 rd column enter the Point Value amount (from step 6) top to bottom.

Step 8. Multiply the points won column (Step 4) by Point Value (Step 7) to determine the winnings by score.

I will have to post a link to a pdf file to provide examples.

<a href="http://www1.nofilelimit.com/files/e6f/a2a/8d3cb8c91968167d39e203bb160a9a5c2b/ata_point_system.PDF" target="_blank">ATA Point System</a> <br> <br> Its a pdf file. This is a 2 page document page 2 has an example work sheet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.