1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA No Target rule, part II

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ATA No Target rule, VII-E-8

Thank you for the guidance you gave on my previous post. Those replies primarily addressed the issue of broken targets. But I am curious about how my trapshooters friends deal your rule VII-E-8 (pasted below).

8. When an “illegal” target is thrown, which is a target that is not within
    the prescribed angle or height limits for single target shooting, or what
    is known as a “flipper” or “freak” target is thrown, which is a target that
    may have slipped out of the carrier of the trap or one notproperly placed
    on the trap, provided the contestant does not fire at it. If the contestant
    fires, the result must be scored.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Generally, twstrode, we just deal with it as it directs and we do a lot less of it than we once did.

When handset traps were more common, a "flipper" occurred when the target is not put on the arm right, or the "snubber" ran out of oil. Pat Traps, especially if they have an extended finger, may do it when a piece of broken target lodges under the finger but it doesn't happen all that much.

If it's just the wind, you shoot it.

Neil

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"If it's just the wind, you shoot it." That pretty much answers the question. Thank you.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I take it there is no expectation the puller/scorer will attempt to call 'No Target" before the shot.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's the perfect time to use one of your FTFs. HMB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Over the years I have had many zeros put after my name on score sheets because I have shot wild targets. I seem to only be able to tell that the target is very wide just at the time I shoot.

Pat Ireland

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

After 25 or 30 thousand targets you will just know when a target is not right . But remember if you shoot at it it,s yours .

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF-99 I am over 300,000 total ATA targets and I still shoot the wild ones now and then. Even worse, when a trap is throwing wide targets I begin to question if I will get one. Thinking that you might get an irregular target is usually worse than actually getting one.

Pat Ireland

9. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Some people consider the 2 hole wide. Lets just go to the 1 hole. Wouldn't that be the logical progression? At some point we should be able to get everyones scores up to where they like them. Might take the 0 hole for some of them to get there. Along the way we can shorten them up some more. 40 yards minimum distance would help too. We could even do this under the excuse that its a membership drive.

I can see it now. Come home from a shoot and the wife asks how you shot and you have to reply, "Bad. I was one of only 5 that didn't break the 100. I missed one on the last trap." In an effort to console you she then says, "How many were there?" This cheers you up and you smile and say, "Now that you mention it, there was only 62 shooters!"

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Southbend- Sorry, but your "logical progression" is faulty. Using your logic, 3 hole is better than 2 hole, so 4 hole would be even better and the 5 hole is next.

Another example that demonstrated the fault of your logic. If a physician gives you a pill and tells you one a day would be good. Then you conclude that two a day would be better and 4 a day would be better than two.

Pat Ireland

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I figure that if I passed on shooting a questionable wild target the consequences would be far worse for mental head games than if I had just shot at the damned thing and took my chances.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If a target is questionable you can have the referee go the the video for a review. HMB

13. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Ireland, as usual it went over your head.

Lets just stay with the progression we have experienced a possible first step of, which was 3 hole to 2 hole. Not a looney hypothetical pill taking one out of a 3rd. graders book. By the way, I never said the 3 was better than the 2. That was your misguided assumption.

Must have been somthing I said about the weaker shooters trying to get their scores up anyway possible that set you off. I bet your toes quit hurting before next year........

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Southbend- It did not go over my head. I understand the logic of a syllogism.

Pat Ireland

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Syllogism = a deductive argument consisting of two premises and a conclusion. HMB

16. Gluegun

Gluegun TS Member

Just step on your yeardage line and see what a good score keeper will tell you. No target period!

17. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

They're not rules actually, more like guidelines.

LL

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb- A nice concise definition. If the premises are counter to each other, the conclusion must be faulty.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.