1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA making efforts to grow sport thru Clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pipe Layer, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Spring Greetings ATA Gun Club:
    As spring and summer approach, the ATA would like to make some key points be to your club. We are making efforts to increase your gun club’s participation and ATA membership. Please share this information with your trapshooting customers.
    Enclosed you will find a copy of the 2012 ATA Average Book produced by Trap & Field and furnished to you compliments of the ATA. You may use this copy for classification purposes, or to find member information. Additional copies of the average book may be purchased by calling Rebecca Brazzell at Trap & Field at 866-896-3851 or she can be reached via email at: circulation@trapandfield.com.
    The 2013 Grand National AIM Youth Championship will again precede the Grand American Championship at Sparta Illinois. The AIM Championship will be August 3-6 and the Grand American Championship August 7-17. Campsites at the World Shooting Complex are currently available, but are filling up quickly.
    The ATA is encouraging gun clubs to print registered shoot forms from the ATA website www.shootata.com. ALL forms necessary for hosting a registered shoot are now available on the website. The forms can be located under the “ABOUT THE ATA” option located in the column to the left. Once the next screen comes up, select the “ATA FORMS” option. There are forms for members use also. We encourage you to print off multiple forms to have readily available for your members. This advancement in technology greatly reduces the amount of postage and handling costs to the ATA.
    FIVE FREE MEMBERSHIPS PER CLUB - In an effort to increase new memberships, the ATA has issued your club 5 New Annual Member certificates. Each certificate can be given to a new annual member of your choosing. Each certificate must be stapled to a new membership application and mailed into the ATA office. This offer is not valid to renewing memberships.
    BUY 2 GET 3 - New this spring, the ATA is offering new members a “Buy 2 Get 3” program. This program offers new shooters the opportunity to purchase 3 years of ATA membership at the price of a 2 year membership. This applies to our new AIM members also. This offer can only be applied to an individual’s membership. Simply write “Buy 2 Get 3” on the top of the membership application and submit payment for two years.
    FREE MEMBERSHIP TO AIM PARENTS - As an incentive for our AIM parents, the ATA is offering a free annual membership for the 2013 target year. Any AIM parent that has never been an ATA member may sign up for this one year membership by referencing their child’s ATA/AIM membership number on the membership application. This offer cannot be combined with the “Buy 2 get 3” program.
    Each offer for new members must be written on the membership forms. Please make it clear who the memberships are for and specify which membership deal is being selected.
    Here’s to another season of great shooting!

1105 East Broadway (PO Box 519), Sparta Illinois 62286
    (618) 449-2224

2. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Just received my certificates to sign-up 5 new people with the ATA, as being the trap chairman for our clay-target range. I look forward to increasing the membership of the ATA, as well as getting some "new blood" signed up. Thanks to the ATA for taking a step like this.

Mike Hessong

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

3. Pipe Layer

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I know they used to have a 3 year membership price and took it away. I wonder if the buy 2 get 3rd free is only to NEW members or renewals also??

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One word. Paragraphs.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

All of this applies to new members only. Like Mike, our club will be offering these free memberships to the first five club members who sign-up to shoot at our next ATA event.

FIVE FREE MEMBERSHIPS PER CLUB - In an effort to increase new memberships, the ATA has issued your club 5 New Annual Member certificates. Each certificate can be given to a new annual member of your choosing. Each certificate must be stapled to a new membership application and mailed into the ATA office. This offer is not valid to renewing memberships.

BUY 2 GET 3 - New this spring, the ATA is offering new members a “Buy 2 Get 3” program. This program offers new shooters the opportunity to purchase 3 years of ATA membership at the price of a 2 year membership. This applies to our new AIM members also. This offer can only be applied to an individual’s membership. Simply write “Buy 2 Get 3” on the top of the membership application and submit payment for two years.

7. Pipe Layer

Barry you are welcome to make paragraphs if you wish.I copied it from a news letter.
    TD

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I will offer this as a simple help tool ( not intended to be the paragraph police) I have in the past struggled with pasting and copying as I post a lot of Idaho, Oregon, Washington shoot info. I read up on here and figured out how to do it and it is pretty simple. Just hit enter twice for each paragraph, otherwise it will end up all one. Here is Davids post regarding paragraphs

Welcome to the Trapshooters.com Discussion Web. Here are a few tips and hints.

Only the last 3 days are visible on the main thread page to see older threads click in the age box select a time frame and click show threads to see older threads. This is done to speed up download time and so you dont have to wade through a ton of older threads.

When creating a new thread or repling to a thread, either tab between field or click into the next box, hitting enter with submit the thread or reply. When type your post, hit enter twice between paragraphs.

Feel free to start a new thread of a new topic, but if the topic is already listed, please reply to that thread instead of creating a new one.

Thanks for visiting Trapshooters.com

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Free this, Free that... doesn't solve the underlying problem and a "free" anything does not give the receipient any vested interest.

Memberships cost virtually nothing - plastic card, envelope and mailer...

Still no skin in the game - NO proactive marketing on their side...

Folks who are inclined to register will take the free membership to try it out for a year - a gungho small segment will purchase the B2G3 - BUT...

"Where's the Beef?!"

How that membership retention tool working... again, the ATA is talking to/at the clubs, not with the clubs...

respectfully,

Jay

10. cubancigar2000

Free this, Free that... doesn't solve the underlying problem and a "free" anything does not give the receipient any vested interest. Jay, your are 100% correct

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kids are the future and when you get the kids- their parents come along in lawn chairs and watch them shoot- so you at least get the parents understanding of the shooting sports

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. cubancigar2000

Gene has an important point. The kids have been hard to get to the club ever since the economy tanked because Mom and Dad cannot afford it. This is one place where I believe in freebies. Buy the kids shoots, shells, guns, whatever you have to

13. Pipe Layer

Sorry for wasting my time again.It appears nothing the ATA does will satisfy the whiners of this site.Amazing! Damned if you ,damn if you don't.I'm a little slow but I'm learning.

Being so many professionals on here know so much , why not run for office and fix all the ATA's problems .

And you wonder why the EC does not reply to this site? Smarter than me. But not anymore.See ya at a shoot.

TD

14. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

When you give something "FREE" you are getiing some one to try something that they may not other wise do. And if even 1/3 of them get "hooked" like a lot of us are, we grow the ATA. My hat is off to the ATA for coming up with a new program. I would bet on the come that this addicting game we play gets more new shooters addicted. Scott

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think it is a good idea for the ATA to offer this program and see how it works.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

TD...

I don't know you, so my response was not directed to you personally. The posting is appreciated, but the facts remain that this band-aid, does not solve the underlying problem.

The $20 annual fee is never a deal breaker - membership dues in and of themselves are not the problem to entering the membership door... it's the lack of perceived value by the recreational/practice trapshooter. The revolving door spins for those longer time registered shooters who no longer see value, have less money and/or developed an age-related infirmaty, coupled with the new member who jumped in all excited and now 2nd guess why they did and leave.

I'm not a registering target maven, but I am a salesman. The ATA has nothing new to sell.

I've been a member since '99 and register @500 singles and nearly as much handicap a year - I will never be a competitive shooter in the ATA sense - shooting state, satellite or national Grand events...

Where does the ATA itself, promote it's image and benefits, outside of its cloistered community?! Where? What is the benefit of joining the ATA in general, for the practice, game or league shooter? How does offering registered targets truly benefit a club offering them?

Unless the ATA can come up with a few good, solid reasons and shout them out to the American public, the majority of recreational shooters will never join the governing body of American Trap... and clubs will discontinue to offer targets... how sad is that?

I know why I joined... so I pay my $20 and happily sit in my little corner of the ATA universe with a few of my like-minded shooting buddies.

The ATA Blue Card... the next Diners Club card...

I would be interested to see in 18 months, the retention data for all the freebie memberships offered and just how many in turn, became dues paying memberships for 2014-15.

Respectfully responding,

Jay

17. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I see the free membership as a good thing and when it comes down to it,there's not really that much the ATA can do about what really keeps people from showing up every month for an ATA event.

The overall cost for a ATA event is the problem.Depending on where one lives,you have $25 to $30 per 100 targets,another $25 to $30 per 100 shells,add in day fees,state fees,the cost of travel/lodging for some and a 600 target event can easily run $600 or more.

If one wants to run with the top dogs,that shooting stick has to fit and we know what that cost.If one wants to shoot the shooting stick good enough to take home a trophy,money,a pat on the back,etc........Then one has to practice and practice often.

A parent and child/spouse together doubles that cost,add in another child as some do or have another child that is into something else......Our game is not cheap by any means and if one does not have the money coupled with a competitive spirit,it's not likely they will ever be more than a recreational shooter.........and a lot of those recreational shooters feel like they will never be able to compete so they just go out on the weekends for a little fun

18. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Why only 5 per club? If it's such a good promotional program, why not open it up to any new shooter that wants to join ATA?

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe it should be based on demographics as well. Larger clubs get more

But why only 5- my guess is you wouldnt get any of these kids/parents intially but was with SCTP- once they are bought in- they are there in full force

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As good an idea as the five free memberships may turn out to be, are there other ways to help shooters HOOK themselves to our sport? Of course there is and it would be foolish to think everything is perfect as is?

Reducing the rate of shooter loss once they do try our sport needs more attention? Blaming cost alone won't cut it as the younger generation has gone to shooting sporting clays more so than trap? Why might that be? Until we figure that out, it's practically business as usual which is what Jay is referring to above and not slamming an idea?

I have no idea the loss percentages but it must be staggering, as in 8 of 10 leaving once they join or something close?

I feel we need a ( probationary class for new members ) and allow them time to hook themselves to our games? Lumping new shooters into the fray of old timers sliding down the class scale is asking new shooters to wait longer than most are willing to shoot competitive scores? We should create some outside the box thinking to retain more of these new members. Not scare them off with thoughts of having to shoot near perfect scores to be in the hunt?

T.D., it's no wonder our EC, delegates and such don't partake here in these discussions. Separating wheat from chaff is a job and some may not have the temperament to admit they may possibly learn something from a dummy?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.