1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA lowering All American Points

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DuckDog, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

The ATA website states that on October 17th the All American points to the top seven shoots will be lowered. Perhaps I have missed a thread that already discussed this topic, but does anyone know what this is about?

Don Cogan

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Don, the present points you see attributed to various shooters represent the total earned, whether the sources are from a single shoot or twenty. However, only seven scores (the highest) can be used for team placement. That means that some totals will drop - the points from the lowest-scoring shoots in excess of seven will disappear.

Anyone with seven or fewer point-scoring shoots will see no change. Those with more than seven will see some points evaporate. Note: though the Preliminary Grand and Grand are noted separately on the website, for "shoot" purposes they are considered but one shoot.

Neil

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- I am glad to know that my total All American points will not change. Now, what we need to do is use a Lewis class system for selecting the team. My chances would increase greatly. Under the current system, my typical 10-25 points does not put me in high standing.

Pat Ireland

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Fellow readers,

I know to how to find my own All American points - a triffling few as they may be - on the ATA website. I have yet to figure out how to look up AA points for other shooters. So far, I've been reduced to scrolling thru the entire list - all 104 pages - one page at a time.

I have to believe there's some simple search (by name, ATA number, etc.) which would drill directly down on a given ATA member's AA points. Would someone take pity on a dolt and explain how???

sissy

5. canada

canada Member

go to www.shootata.com, then shooter information center. then under the "chose all-american year" tab, click 2008. then type a shooters name into the search for a member box. click on the shooters name, then scroll down to where it says "men" or whatever category you are looking for. click on that, and the shoots should pop up

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I do not understand how and/or why we allow our current system. A shooter can attend and participate in 20 or 30 shoots. And we only look at the highest scores counts from 7 count.

Why not just simply put a requirement as too what scores would count. i.e. the Grand, Satellite Grand (in that shooters zone) his/her state shoot and the zone shoot in their respective zones. And maybe a couple of designated shoots, to be selected prior to that shoot by the shooter. Hell many shooters buy their way onto the AA teams simply by attending many many shoots. - Jim

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

In follow up to above post. Some very good dedicated shooters are left off the AA teams due to this rule. - Jim

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- It is true that some excellent shooters are not competitive for All American selection due to their inability to attend many shoots. I am also surprised at the large number of shooters who can miss many days of school to attend the Southern and Dixie Grand. Many of our better Junior shooters are also very good football players. Football practice begins for many before the Grand American ends and football players know what happens if they miss a practice.

The All American system is far from perfect and it is reviewed every few years with the intend of improving the system. It is better than it was many years ago when one man simply picked who he thought the top shooters were for that year.

Pat Ireland

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Thanks Mr. Lamont! Worked like a charm.

sissy

10. bas

bas Member

Another thing with the total points showing that shooters have earned is some may not have met all of the AA Team requirements - like you must pariticpate in a minimum of three different states. Some may not have but would still be on the list because they earned points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.