1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Losing Money Each Year

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tex Ritter, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tex Ritter

Tex Ritter TS Member

The ATA has been losing money for a few years. The EC hasn't been able to increase revenue. We must cut costs. I suggest the elimination of ATA paying for travel expenses for the EC. The will save, based on last years travel costs of 100K plus dollars. Certainly a very good start.

Others Thoughts?

Rod Ritter

2. JRW

JRW Member

Rod if you are not careful you will be sent home for suggesting cuts to the EC gold mine. Jerry in MI

3. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Discuss it with your delegate when you vote at your state shoot!LMAO

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The elimination of the EC totally would be the thing most prudent thing to do and let the Delegates run the ATA ... The meetings could be done telephonically unless they were going to attend the shoot anyway but on their dime ... The membership should then supply the refreshements for the attendees at the meeting ... Cut the losses especially when there are others who cannot afford to shoot at all because of the economy while the EC are getting paid to do it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rod,

One of the reasons the ATA revenues are declining is shooter attendence and participation is down sharply. It's NOT that they're losing operating money. Losing operating money and declining revenues are 2 different animals.

Without travel expense reimbursement to our Delegates who'd volunteer to take that job???? It's damn thankless even with re-imbursement.

Respectfully submitted.
    Dave

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think they are losing money from continuing operations.

7. Hauser

Hauser Member

Here are two suggestions:

Reduce the number of trophies awarded at both Satellite Grands and the Grand. For example the ATA awarded 95 trophies for the GAH in 2009 with 1900+ entries vs. the 22 trophies awarded in 1976 for the same event which had 3600+ entries.

Explore the possibility of eliminating the printing and mailing programs for the Satellite Grands and the Grand. The programs could be placed on the ATA web-site for downloading and printing

Jerry Hauser

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Jerry:

Your point is valid, but remember that is a bit misleading since it includes the "Medallion" awards or whatever thay call them. I don't look at them as real trophies. I would expect they don't cost a significant amount. I'm not really sure why they started them in the first place other than to encourage category shooters.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cutting a little in many places may provide a good start on the process of getting our financial house in order. Online programs would be a good place to start.

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

It's been a while, but I remember that the Satellite Grand host club pays for the ATA trophy package.

Does the host club also pay for the programs and the travel expenses for the ATA officials attending? Programs often don't cost anything to print and mail anyway due to the revenue from advertising.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Here is a radical thought, how about trying to increase revinue through increasing registered trapshooting opportunities, you know sort of like accepting target and membership fees for targets cross registered with other organizations .......

12. blacklab

blacklab Member

Why not just eliminate the Satellite Grands altogether. Let the clubs that are now hosting these Grands have their own shoots on these dates if they wish. People will come based on many factors not just because it is a sat. grand. The ATA's function would be rule making, shooter score keeping and running The Grand. All meeting will be held at the Central ATA office. If a director does not want or cannot afford the expense of the trip hook them up telephonically.

13. blacklab

blacklab Member

Remember the ATA owns no land assets. Sell the building in Van. Ohio and move into a local office building.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

right blacklab, I can just see Leo, Ray, Kay , Harlan etc, traveling to Michigan for the New Spring Great Lakes Shoot, oh, sorry, no AA points to speak of, but, it has a great background! And Lansings just up the road.

15. blacklab

blacklab Member

Why would there be no point? The Cardinal Classic last year was one of the largest shoots of the year and had Bigg Points earned. It was not a sat grand.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

News must travel slowly where you are, blacklab. The ATA sold the buildings in Vandaia five years ago. Are you really suggesting they sell them again? Is that legal?

Neil

17. blacklab

blacklab Member

Like I said, the ATA owns no land assets.

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Like you also said, "Sell the building in Van. Ohio and move into a local office building." A statement like that leads me to think you believe we still own a building to sell. We don't, We haven't for five years.

Neil

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Now a suggestion to eliminate the paper trail on this forum is indeed humorous....

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jerry A well tough out post the only problem I see is in regard to this statement.

"Explore the possibility of eliminating the printing and mailing programs for the Satellite Grands and the Grand. The programs could be placed on the ATA web-site for downloading and printing"

First thing is for the last several years the Programs have been on the ATA website and can be downloaded and printed. As far as stopping the mailing of programs is concerned the link above will more or less explain the way people feel about not getting a program like they always have.

What make it more interesting is some of those complaining demonstrated a extreme amount of emotion after BG's report was posted.

Not an attack just an observation.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.