1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA letter on category changes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by multifired, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. multifired

multifired Member

The following is the text from a letter from the ATA Executive Committee to Clubs hosting 2012 Satellite Grands, Zone shoots and State/Provincial shoots. It is dated 12/21/11. tom sletta

We on the Executive Committee are very proud and excited regarding a few changes for the 2012 shooting season. These changes should increase attendance as well as target participation.

New categories have been added for 2012, Junior Gold 18-23 years of age, Sub Vet 55 through 64, Lady I (up to age 55), and Lady II(55 and over). The need for these new categories has been supported by intensive research of the age and participation of shooters today, in this shooting environment and with trends of the past we believe this is a change that will allow for an increase in shooter base and an increase in target participation.

We recommend to all host clubs that you take advantage of these new categories. We will be announcing this in all shooting publications as well as on the ATA web site etc. All host clubs should be prepared to offer these categories to participants requesting any of the new classifications. Because of the short lead time on this if your club is unable to provide trophies for these categories we can supply you with All American points pins to fill that void. As always we will expect your shoot reports to clarify ALL category winners as they have in the past including the NEW categories now in place.

We expect many shooters to take advantage of these new categories and they will be traveling to your clubs to earn these new AA category points. Imagine what it would be like today if we had NO categories, category shooters amount to almost 40% of the Grand American entries in 2011. The largest single age group that we have currently participating in the ATA is the 55-64 years of age group (over 6,000 members).

Please join us in making 2012 the year that started the rebound of ATA registered shooting. Signed by Connie Collier for the Executive Committee)

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

How about a SUPER VET class for shooters over 80??? Maybe will have to wait till the 6,000 sub vets get a little older, oh crap by then I'll be over 100. NEVER MIND

3. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I'm now a sub vet and I wasn't even in the Navy. Brad

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

How does it work if you declare a category can you still win class?

5. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Best change I've seen in many a year! I have a good day once in a while and break my share of decent scores but can't compete with the younger Vet's that I couldn't beat before they turned Vet's nor the current crop of excellent, short
    yardage young shooters.

I'm more in favor of the sub-vet and Lady I and II than the junior gold for 18 to 23's. They aren't kid's anymore and need to shoot with men. I do support the kid's but it tends to be on the younger end of the age range.

Curios to see what fellow TS'ers think. I also think the one time two yard reduction may give the sport a shot in the arm! Yea, I'm 59 headed to 60 but would have favored this change regardless of age. I'm all for every shooter having a chance for that one big day.

Eddie Quire

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Not if you are eligible for a category trophy. It's pretty complicated. Best to download the rulebook and study it. In many cases, it's better not to declare for category if you are after either trophies or money.

Neil

7. C1

C1 Member

Sounds a little like a cross between skeet classification and today's society. Give everyone a trophy so they don't feel bad. Trophies watered down will equate to cheap trophies.

I can't see this being good for the sport but then I am just about 70 and don't understand a lot of the new world customs.

Gary Riecke

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

More classes = everybody wins?

Should see alot more of these.

9. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Gary, I agree. Ohio, Fla, and Pa are already talking to each other and I don't beleive are going to do it. This would add over 100 trophies to the Ohio State shoot and about 9 grand in cost to PA. The EC have lost their minds, they don't even enforce the rules they have today.

I think they believe that by creating more all american teams they'll get more people to shoot the grand and the sat. grands. I've got a lot more to say about this but right now I've got some customer's here in the store so by. Brad

10. DON1911

DON1911 Member

Let's see now....if I shoot in sub vet category I'm in same class as Leo and if I wait a year and shoot in vet category I'll be shooting against M.Stinebring.....s--t I've never beaten either one of them! Think I'll just stay a non category shooter .My odds are getting better...be in a category by myself soon. Don Mason

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Even though it is not April Fools Day, I am going to hope that this is a silly joke

12. Donm

Donm Active Member

That would be fine and dandy if the ATA was paying for the extra trophies and time and targets because of extra shoot offs. Why not have a category for men from 24 to 55 that way everyone would have a special category and be eligable for a meaningless trophy. The more categories you have the less they mean. For clubs that are close on the bottom line this will put them below that line. This could add a couple of thousand dollars to a state shoot. Everyone likes more trophies untill you have to raise your shooting costs. And the ATA already raised your costs once this shooting year. Now they are doing it again. And they think this is the way to get more people to shoot. This is just plain stupid.

13. Barry

Barry Member

Why not a category for 25-29 year olds, another category for all in their 30’s, another for all in their 40’s and another category for 50-54 year olds? Then we can add a category for each yardage. We already have awards for every class.

Then maybe to save money we can eliminate all championship awards because we won’t need them anymore!

Sorry guys…this isn’t a good idea.

14. Hauser

Hauser Member

Extensively researched !!!!

I happened to have the October 1976 issue of Trap and Field magazine which had the results from Grand American. Here are some facts.

There was a total of 22 trophies handed out for the Grand American Handicap that year.

1st through 10th place.

2 each (1st and 2nd) for the following: Women, Juniors, sub Juniors, Veterans, Industry, Past Grand American Winner, and one for high Canadian.

The most important fact was there were 3718 people that shot the event.

Two questions:

First: Given the above history how did the EC conclude that more trophies would help the sport??

Second: Did the clubs hosting the satellite Grands buy into the additional cost?

Jerry Hauser

15. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

It's the new way everyone gets a trophy, Hell why even keep score give us all a red ribbon pat on the back and send us home.

16. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

This has got the makings of a Rush to local Ceramic craft shops for additional
    cheap worthless animal heads on a stand. Trophies that fracture with a touch
    and metal tags that loose adhesion in a week. Its a waste of shooters money.
    Its the shooter that pays for these tokens of ruble. I can only image who, who
    on the Executive committee (notice Executive) would have made this suggestion and the rest of the idiots took the bait and ran with it. And this will aid attendance? What is their mind set? Their concerns are never on what seems to
    be priority and that being the current Handicap system. They close a deaf ear to
    to that topic. And needless to say the Handicap system could use their attention and a complete overhaul. The Day is fast approaching when these decision makers (EC) will look around and say, What Happened? Where did all the shooters go?
    And than they will blame and point there finger at the economy! Fools.
    The ATA is on a death march. They know not what to do, and fail to correct the
    problems at hand. Very Sad to watch this once fine organization melt under their own gunfire.

Farewell to Arms,
    Gunnerx11

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

WOW, I'm a Car Vet, Vietnam Vet and now a Sub Vet. LOL

18. smsnyder

Barney Franks made the decision.

19. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

I Think your on to something!

Gunnerx11

20. smsnyder

More trophies won't help but (Quality trophies) and higher purses will bring more shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.