1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA legal target?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"My club sets them at 9' and 42mph, but they are a good ten yards short of the 50yd stake."</I>

So raise the targets up a bit. You have another foot to work with, don't you?

Morgan

2. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

How about, raising the target, check the speed, and then take down the 50yard stake?

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think the information you request Joe -----is still on the ATA website, titled "Guide to Setting Trap Targets with a Radar Gun", it's a couple of pages long-----explains it better than anyone will here.

Short answer; 42 mph measured from behind the traphouse with the gun held level. That~~and 9' high 10 yds in front of point "B" (in still air)will give you not only a "legal" target but also a "GOOD" target that will have your shooters coming back for more.

BTW, are you sure the pad where you place the hieght pole is actually 10 yds from point "B", and is the pole 9' higher than level with point "B"? And---is the "50 yd stake" actually 50 yds from point "B" and also on the same level?

John C. Saubak

4. setter

setter Member

42 is an appropriate speed; however, that is with the yellow Decatur radar gun with the reading taken from the 16 yd line on a straight away target. I would consider at least 9.5 ft for height and that depends on the wind. For example in a nice south breeze (assuming your traps face north) the target needs to be even higher than 9.5 ft for the better presentation.

Jim

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

6. setter

setter Member

It's under "Information for Gun Clubs and Shoot Management".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how fast is a legal trap target

what is a ligal ata target in trap