1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA leadership?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, Aug 8, 2013.

1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Do you think the ATA should hire some sort of person that has a resume built around operating a non-profit member driven organization?

I would like to see somebody who know the ins and outs of the legal/tax issues that come with being non-profit. Being AA27AA is not a prerequisite for being a good manager. I would like to see someone with no ties/loyalties to the "good old boys" of trapshooting and somebody with an open eye towards technology and communication.

2. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

9point3,

Good idea, for your info, here is the salary paid to Lynn Gipson in 2012,$150,251.00 and another $3,472.00 from "other" compensation.

Van

3. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Question from someone who doesnt know. Does Mr. Gipson have a business near Sparta that would benefit from the Grand being held there and, what has he done to deserve this salary? ed nichols

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA is a Cash Cow for Gibson, the EC and who knows who else ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Another stupid thread criticizing the ATA........

If you think its that bad run for delegate and change it instead of running off at the mouth on a forum where it gets nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Those who still shoot....go to the Grand & shoot.......those who don't stay home & piss & moan.........always the same names, just like broken records.

7. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I've been a life member for many years. When I joined it was understood that if the ATA was ever disbanded the finances and holdings would be divided among the life members. I now am told that is no longer true. Yes or no? ed

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No longer true.

HAP

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That is the way it was written, but the BOD Stole it away from us lifers by re-incorporating in Illinois and re-writing the Incorporation Certificate, and the voting rights of the Life Members.

This is it all in a nutshell, we lifers got SCrewed Royaly.

Gary Bryant
    Life Member

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

l-t-s, Like politics, if we the base don't keep'em honest, we'll get abused.
    Too many weird things goning on with the EC to feel comfy about the operation.

$150,000 to do the accounting? Do they still hire a private firm to audit their books even though they pay $150,000 for accounting? Yes. Any legit company will have a certified accounting firm do the filing for back up (to stay out of tax trouble). A "book keeper" can relay the monthly info to the tax accountant.

If they are transparent....show us.

If they aren't, why not?

Not "piss'n and moan'n"....only typical, good, business sense.

Raises flags.

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

This one is going off the deep end fast with those last two posts,

12. Steve R

Steve R Member

Just to set the record straight!

There is a business on the grounds by the name of Gipson Guns. Karen Gipson manages that business and I might say quite well. Karen has taken over the gun business since Lynn took the Executive Director job with the ATA. As far as Lynn being the Executive Director and Grand Tournament Director I believe that David Bopp may have also had both jobs at the same time. I can assure you that the Grand gets Lynn's full undivided attention.

Stephen Ricketts

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Setterman............I realize that there always is room for improvement for transparency and even in some business practices of the the ATA but look at the post directly above mine. Those type of posts are nothing but unsubstantiated hate and contempt for the ATA and its employees.

A civilized question would have resulted the same answer like the one above this post.

I noticed that it was deleted, imagine that!!

14. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

As far as if the ATA ever being disbanded and the corporate interest being divided among life members, I do believe that is in violation of IRS regulations which state the assets of a 501 (c) 3 upon being dissolved must be liquidated to another approved non profit. If read the IRS regs the main thing about a non profit is no member can profit from the proceeds of the corporations. I have known and seen non profits who were going under, make "gifts" to its members before the company fold. Is this legal? I really don't think so..

Van

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Those that complian that there are those that only piss and moan are Obama voters in their finest hour ... They could be led to slaughter without putting up a fight or even having any idea of what is going to happen ... If they think everything is on the up and up and there is no need for supervision they are even dumber than those who voted for Obama ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. zinger

zinger Member

As an active member (because anyone who isn't, aren't allowed to voice their opinions by some) why can't we ask questions, debate and discuss any issue without it being labeled "ATA bashing?" Why can't we wonder how Mr.Gibson can get compensation for attending the Grand while he is a vendor? Same with Rob Taylor? (and I don't care that someone else is running their business)What happened to Chuck Fritzges when he was tournament director? He wasn't an EC member, in anyone's back pocket and ran a great Grand? Where's Mike Hampton? He was supposed to be the savior with all his past experience? Did he get fired? Did he get a nice severance package like before? I will never understand how someone who volunteers to be a delegate all the way to President expects to be paid to do what they volunteered to do? If you're a Zone VP or zone delegate, aren't you expected to go to your zone shoot? And to get compensated to attend a shoot where you are always a vendor? Or, get compensated to attend a shoot that you always attend but it happens to be in the next state over so guess what? Compensation! I love shooting and love the people, I just want the ATA to be a great organization to be proud of. Unfortunately, that's not the perception anymore...and to answer the question to this thread, no. I think we can have a shooter who could run the business and have integrity too! Kim 92-01058

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I guess you can't own a trap related business and be a director. I missed that rule. He can't put the business in someone else's hands to run according to you. I love you perfect people.

Why don't you judge how hard he is working and what successes he may have.

Don

18. zinger

zinger Member

you're missing the point Don. I didn't say he can't do both. He's being paid a salary to be tournament director, fine. As an Executive Director of the ATA, would he not get compensation for attending the Grand? It's two separate things. Just like Rob Taylor gets compensation for attending the Grand as the SW Zone VP, but he's a vendor and would be there anyway. I never said I was perfect either...

19. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

9point3 asked an excellent question.. Its not an ATA bash, actually has nothing at all to do with any organization in particular........ He asked if the director of a non-profit should have credentials to be director. If the answer to that is a "yes" then the next question should probably be what are those requirements that make up the credentials. Then the next question might be does the current director meet the requirements that comprise those credentials.
    Without some basic guidelines to go by it is very difficult at best to make any value judgements........ Larry

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Maybe better to ask what are 9.3's credentials to make such judgements of the organization in question. What do you suggest about your credentials when you can not get anyone to run for the BOD without them, what happens with them.

Don