1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA invition form for Canadians

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by canada, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canada

canada Member

Does anyone know where to find the ATA invitation form for Canadians to send in with the Form 6 NIA?

Thanks

2. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

go to the ATA web site Jack

3. OVBILL

OVBILL TS Member

when you login to www.shootata.com , then under "MY ATA" it should come right up

http://www.shootata.com/visitor/my_ata.aspx

Regards

Bill

4. RonC

RonC TS Member

I think the letter is in the details of your ATA record accessed with your pass word.

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Are canadians charged $50.00 bucks to bring a gun into the US?

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

No. But a Canadian may have to wait up to six weeks for approval of application. Also, on the application they must list all ammunition to be brought into the states. If ammunition is not listed, not allowed, same with firearms. If you leave something off, you must re-submit.

Also, the ATA letter by Federal law only allows for them to attend scheduled trap shoots, for other shooting activities, like club visits, target practice, funs shoots (can be done with a shoot inviatation), and so on, they must likely have to end up purchasing a state side hunting license if they want to be legal 100% with a firearm in the states.

By the way, for US shooters, if you go into Canada more than a few times a year to shoot or hunt, attend a Canadian Firearms class (held at many locations just inside the Canada border) and you can get a five year Canadian Firearms permit. Was just in Canada last Friday with said permit and not a problem.

7. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

What was the cost of the 5 yr permit?Can you cross the border with a gun for free for 5yrs?Does it still cost $50.00 bucks even if you use a club gun?I don't know of any state that requires a hunting lic. to shoot trap,but I haven't shot in every state.I made it simple for me,I don't go to canada anymore.Last I heard they are doing just fine with out my dollars.and so it go's.

tracy

8. Joe Potosky

If I remember correctly without taking a look, it was around $65 when it was all said an done. May be off a few dollars. That was for a 5 year license. No other cost for 5 years. At present it cost nothing to renew. Have already done one renewal for free.

After passing the course (you can take the test before classroom, and if you pass, no classroom required). You will need a letter from your local law enforcement stating that your not wanted for anything and have a clean record (citizen in good standing). I get mine from the local sheriffs office. They run my license before issuing the letter. I send in the letter with my application. You must have a new letter for each renewal. About 60 days (maybe 90) you get a renewal notice before your present license expires.

As I said I was just shooting in Canada on Good Friday and cross the border with firearms several times a month from April - December without incident.

-------------------------

As for borrowing a firearm in Canada (not bringing your own). You do not need a license if you remain under the direct and immediate supervision of a licensed adult (aged 18 or older).

I've done that a number of times for those who don't have a permit. I bring up an extra gun and they shoot on my squad (sporting, skeet or trap). If you have a Canadian friend he can do the same for you.

You can get a Non-resident Temporary Borrowing Licence for Non-restricted Firearms where you don't need to be supervised, but cost $30 and you need a licensed sponsor. Not worth the bother, but that's me...

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

-----------------

Re: License for shooting trap.

Canadians crossing the border to attend shoots must have a shoot invitation (supports the ATF Form 6NIA and sent in with the application).

Thus the posting for a letter from the ATA. All well and good, but the letter only covers attending registered ATA shoots. Not so good if you just want to drop down and shoot at a club along the border that is not having a shoot but you just want to do a little shooting and visit friends.

However...

U.S. federal law allows Canadian with a stateside hunting license (any state) to enter the US with firearms (to include handguns) and ammunition to attend shoots, visit shooting clubs, attend various non-registered events at any time without a shoot invitation. This option does not include self defense and so on.

This option is used by many snowbirds. Almost all the sporting clays shooters that I know from Quebec and Ontario use the hunting license option. They sent a copy of the hunting license with the application to the ATF in WV, usually by FAX.

http://www.losttarget.com/form6.html

9. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Thank you for the info.Might re think my canadian goose hunting.It is a long way to drive and a pain to fly with a gun and amo.Thank you again.

tracy

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Haven't done it yet....and every time I think about starting the Form 6 process I start to think it's just not worth the bother any more...JMHO

11. Joe Potosky

Not a big deal anymore for a Canadian to apply for an receive an approved ATF Form 6NIA.

The first few years of the ATF Form 6NIA requirement saw many horror stories from mishandling the paperwork at the ATF to a pissing contest at the border with US customs for many.

Rare now to hear of any problems. The ATF office in charge moved to WV and many problems at that end cleared up. Many renewals are processed in a week or less (not to be counted on) and those working the border are now use to seeing the form and don't question the usage.

The only thing you have to decide is are you just going over for shoots (shoot invitations) or wish to have more flexibility. If you also wish to cross to visit clubs south of the border with firearms for shooting purposes at any time, to include all shoots, then to be 100% legal I suggest the hunting license option for most. Many get by just using shoot invitations, but you have to decide what direction you wish to go and how legal you wish to be.

Shooters should list a backup gun and over do it on ammunition requirements when completing the application. You do not have to have all firearms or ammunition listed with you when crossing. The approved form is good for one year with proper supporting documents. If you have to add a firearm or additional ammunition, the form has to re-submitted for approval.

All entering the US (Canadians and US citizens) require a passport or ENHANCED drivers license. If flying, passport only.

I attended a sporting clays shoot at Rochester Brooks (New York) a few weeks back and easily over 40 Canadians in attendance from Ontario and Quebec. None that I spoke to had a problem at the border. A Canadian from Quebec won the shoot...

http://www.losttarget.com/form6.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.