1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA history questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

I have a couple of questions that I thought one of you might answer quicker than an email to the ATA although I will email the ATA too....anyway...when was the High Lady category created and what is the growth of women in the sport compared to the men? Any and all statistics will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. calilori

calilori TS Member

I can't believe I stumped you all with those questions.

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Will this help? First year that there was a Woman Clay Target Champ trophy 1918
    Junior CTC 1919 Sub Jr CTC 1926

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Actually, I tried to find some information last night for you. Went to the ATA Hall of Fame site to see if they had anything. They have a nice section on Women Shooters, but not the information you seek. I looked over the entire website thinking that somewhere it would show at least when the High Lady category started. It doesn't, but there were some awesome lady shooters shortly after the turn of the last century (1920's).

I think it's definitely an ATA question, because it doesn't seem to be anywhere else. Past programs maybe?

5. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thanks for trying to help. I did find some info on the first woman to win at the Grand. I appreciate the effort. Cy- thank you for that info. That is helpful.

6. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

I wrote to Trap and Field about 6 months ago and had several questions regarding Lady Shooters (Has any lady ever made it to the 27 yard line in her first year, what are the most yards gained by a lady in her first year, has a lady ever won the Rookie of the Year Award over everybody, quickest 100 straight, etc.) and never received any type of response. If you have any luck, please let me know, as I still wonder about these things.

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Plinky Topperwein / first lady to break 100 straight at trap.

Iva Pembridge Jarvis, was the first woman to break 200 straight at the Grand, 1956. Her 200 in 1954 at the Texas State Shoot helped her win the non-resident H-O-A over all the men, and it gave her a long run of 354, a registered record for women that stood until 1972, when it was surpassed by six birds.

During the 1972 Grand American, Nadine Ljutic became the first woman to post a 200 in the Clay Target Championship, capturing both the woman’s crown and the second-place Class A trophy.

Dorothy Marker registered her first singles target in 1939. On May 26, 1962 she pulled the trigger on her 100,000th and became the first women in ATA history to achieve that goal.

In 1961 Dorothy Marker and husband Van set a record for husbands and wives when they broke 100 straight apiece in the same event at the Grand American. It was the first time in history that a husband and wife had had perfect scores together at the Grand, and it remains the initial time in memory of early statisticians that the feat had been accomplished on any grounds.

In 1970 Hortense Wood Hardesty became the second woman in ATA history to be handicapped at 27 yards, 30 years after beginning her shooting career in Utah.
    On July 15, 1967 at Harolds TC in Reno, she broke 97 from 24½ for a yard-punch, becoming the fifth woman in ATA annals to fire from the 25. Thirty-six days later a 98 from 25½ earned another yard and made her the fourth woman to move to the 26. During a windstorm on June 6, 1970 she led a handicap with 86, enough for the half-yard punch she needed to earn a 27-yard pin.

At the 1960 Montana State Shoot, Ruth Ray was the only person to shatter 200 in the Singles Championship, winning the top non-resident trophy. This 200-straight was the first in the A.T.A. record books posted by a woman.

Joan Pflueger was 18, in 1950, she broke 100 straight and 74x75 shootoff targets to become the first woman to win the Champion of Champions event at the Grand American. Joan shot live pigeons in Havana, Cuba when she was 15 years old, and became a member of the winning world championship team.

The third woman in ATA history to make it to the 27-yard line, Ruby Jenner earned her punch to the back fence on July 21, 1972, at Waukesha (Wis.) GC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

iva pembridge jarvis