1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA 'Handicap Yardage'????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

I've just recently joined the ATA and plan on shooting my first registered shoot in two weeks. I'm having trouble gleaning info off of the ATA site - figured I'd get quick answers here from the 'pros'.

I'm planning on shooting singles of course (newbie). Have been shooting at the 16yd. line. Is this where I'll be shooting from at registered shoots? The ATA has my 'handicap yardage' at 20 yards. What does that mean? I'll be shooting at 20yd mark as opposed to the 16?

Thanks.
    Bill

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

You start form the 20 for Hdcp and work your way back from there. Welcome,enjoy and good shooting. Jake

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I 2 started this year, just relax and shoot. I felt no real differance at 20y line. Ive earned a 1.5 so far this year.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Bill,

Welcome to the ATA!

All singles (and Doubles) events are shot from the 16yd line. Singles and Doubles are divided into different Classes based on performance at registered shoots. Refer to the ATA rulebook (.pdf format on the ATA site) for more on the various classes.

Your Handicap yardage only applies to handicap events and varies from shooter to shooter based on performance.

Until you have enough registered targets, you will be assigned a penalty class and yardage during classification, which means you will shoot in a class (singles/doubles), or yardage (Hcap) that is likely beyond your skill level. The reason is to make it harder for sandbaggers to hold back on performance just to suddenly shoot great when the money and trophies are in the line.

Hope this helps clear it up.

Guy Babin

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Guy wrote: "Until you have enough registered targets, you will be assigned a penalty class and yardage during classification, ..."

That's not entirely true. You will only be assigned penalty class/yardage if the shoot program imposes that condition. Most small shoots don't employ penalty. With that said, your singles and doubles class could be debateable, but my experience is that a new shooter would probably be put in B class for singles and doubles until they establish their average.

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks for the responses. Understand a bit more now. Next step should be to sit down and actually read the Rule Book, huh? (can't they print any bigger?) Looking forward to the registered/competition shooting aspect of the sport.

Cheers
    Bill Stengel

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Welcome to our addiction Bill! Agree with V10, B for 16s and Troubles er doubles I mean.

Your familiar with shooting 16s in practice, shoot the 20 yard handicaps the same way. Don't change anything and break em all guy! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.