1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Finances

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SF SGM, Aug 8, 2013.

1. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

http://www.dtatrap.org/Glatz2.pdf

https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2012_03_EO/20-2118440_990_201109.pdf

I have several PMs asking for the link to the ATA form 990. The first link goes to a link for Robert Glarz, CPA, recommendation/observations he proposed to the ATA. It brings out several good points and worth reading.

The second link goes to the ATA's 990 for 2010. It is the latest that I have been to locate on the net without paying for it. For those interested and attending the Grand, the 2012 and previous years 990 are available at the ATA headquarters. These are open both to members and the public as well per IRS regs.

Van

2. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Van, the first link that you posted (above) is a real eye opener! Lots of common sense and very good points.

More members need to read this.

3. jdhog

jdhog Member

THANK YOU FOR THE POST it sure opens your eyes to some BIG DOLLARS GOING AWAY . It could be controlled I believe better .
    JDHOG

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Just to cut down on the conspiracy theories, keep in mind that the 2010 Form 990 is for the fiscal year ended 9/30/2011. The 2011 Form 990 for 9/30/2012 would not have been due until as late as a few weeks ago, so that is why copies don't show up online yet.

The Glatz issue is old news.

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Just this alone opens many eyes.

2.4 EC reimbursements are excessive, poorly substantiated, and highly personal in nature.
    Reimbursements for EC travel expenses (averaging over $15,000 per year, each), the president’s gun
    allowance ($16,500) and the president’s Discretionary Travel Budget ($20,000), in addition to the
    president’s normal EC reimbursement (average of $15,000) are highly irregular in a public charity setting.
    If the ATA plans to continue this policy, the payments should be recharacterized as compensation,
    properly substantiated, appropriately approved and disclosed broadly. Proper IRS reporting should also
    be adopted immediately and prior years should be corrected.

In another post there is a question:

Do you think the ATA should hire some sort of person that has a resume built around operating a non-profit member driven organization?

I would like to see somebody who know the ins and outs of the legal/tax issues that come with being non-profit. Being AA27AA is not a prerequisite for being a good manager. I would like to see someone with no ties/loyalties to the "good old boys" of trapshooting and somebody with an open eye towards technology and communication.

I would second this idea entirely !

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

The 2011 is available now. It was completed by the accounting firm in May of this year after requesting a 6 month extension. 990 is normally due several months after the close of the fiscal year. Should also note the required audit was completed in December 2012.

Van

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Right Van, its due on the 15th day of the 5th month after year-end, with up to an additional 6 month of extensions. I assume you are saying the 2011 990 (9/30/2012) is available from ATA since I don't find it online yet. This is not unusual since the IRS does not release the PDF's immediately.

Just trying to short-cut complaints on here from some because the ATA won't give them a copy of say the 2012 990 yet, when in reality the 2012 form could potentially not be due until August 15, 2014.

8. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Yes, the 990 and the audit are both available from the ATA. You are probably aware that the ATA uses guidestar.com for their public filing and also used it to set Lynn Gipson's salary.

Va

9. 9point3

Regarding Lynn Gipson,

Since he is the Grand's Director and I have heard that he has a business on the grounds during the Grand, how does he do both?

I am not saying there is a conflict of interest, I am wondering if the Grand gets his full attention?

10. zinger

zinger Member

it's easy, Lynn gets paid compensation for attending the Grand, gets paid to be the director and makes money selling guns. Sounds like a good deal to me.

11. 100straight

100straight Member

The EC had the option to hire an Executive Director with a Master's degree in Administration and many years of experience in private, public, and non-profit sectors in both of the past two times they've hired. They chose to hire Executive Directors with a lot of shooting experience instead. I'm not saying the men they hired aren't great people, but the EC knowingly chose to hire inside their network instead of hiring based on managerial education, experience and skill. I wonder if it was because they knew (or suspected) that a skilled ED would have called them out on some of these issues concerning spending the member's money?

12. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Lynn's business address is listed at Sparta on the grounds. The ATA states he works 40 hours per week as the Executive Director.

Van

13. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Zinger,

Let's not overlook that Lynn is listed on page 6 of the GAH program as the Tournament Director as well.

I don't know Lynn Gipson intimately but I've met, shot and talked with him on ocassion and always found him to be a gentleman, very likable and a hard worker.

However, I agree with those who feel it is impossible for one person to to adequately devote enough time to each of these monumental duties. In fact, why would any Executive Committee want to place that much work on one person? It would seem much wiser to me to have a Tournament Director who's only job during the Grand is to manage the tournament.

So, how much will Lynn Gipson be paid as Tournament Director? An additional salary; percentage of the profits; bonus after the Grand?

I wish Lynn well but still cannot understand why he would take on such a huge responsibility in addition to being Executive Director.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Pittsgrove, NJ

14. 9point3

I would think that during the week preceding as well as during the Grand, the Tournament Director would be working from daylight till dark if not more.

15. running bear

running bear Member

You guys sure like to bash the ATA.

Buck

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Nothing will happen, except as noted in the first advice, raising dues and fees on the membership.

17. 9point3

One has to find the flaws in order to fix the flaws

18. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Please don't confuse the term "bashing" with the asking of legitimate questions regarding the management of the ATA.

I assure you, these questions are coming from members who care very much for the welfare of a wonderful organization. Life members like myself believe it is our duty.

Better communications from our leaders, explaining the need for major decisions, would greatly reduce those questions. And, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Pittsgrove, NJ

19. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Buck,

If we are "bashing" the ATA aren't we really bashing ourselves. For, we the members are the ATA. Granted, the number of ATA members on this website are just a very small fraction of the total membership. I do find it somewhat ironic the comparison if our elected ATA governing board and those we elect and send to Washington. Seems the majority of the forget who they work for. They get elected the senior members call them in tell them what they will do, what they will or will not vote for and explains to them how the good old boys club functions. That is the reality of how I see it.

I would wager that the number of members of the ATA that have read the by laws are minimal . Most of us have read the rule book as it effects us every time we compete but few learn how the corporation operates. I spent 26 years in the Army and there was this old saying, show me a reg and I will show you one to get around it. From my interpretation of the by laws, that also applies here as well. Just look on another thread former ATA president asked for a reference on one of the by laws, some have responded with their answers but I don't believe Neil has with his answer.

Van

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

These Volunteers make a pretty good buck for Volunteers, plus bonus ... The ATA has become their Cash Cow ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...