1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA fails Marketing 101 at the Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lisalong, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisalong

lisalong Member

My impression with the ATA in the last several years is that they are trying to promote the sport, which is great. But, in my opinion, they missed the best opportunity with the Grand. Route 4 is the closest state route to the "complex." At the turn of Route 4 and County Route 18 (the road that leads directly to the "complex," there was NO SIGN that showed what event was occuring at the "complex." No sign that said "Amateur Trapshooting Association Grand American World Championships" (with the date?) to encourage visitors to the area, vacationers passing through, etc. to come see what it was all about. And what is even worse, there was no such sign AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE COMPLEX. So anyone just driving to the complex for the fun of it, didn't know what was going on at the "complex." Proper signage is the fundamental of Marketing 101. There were plenty of other signs promoting the Spartan businesses. I wonder why Nick Aycock, Marketing Manager, could have missed this? And how could the President and all the Vice Presidents miss this? And what about the Tournament Director? Why wouldn't our powers that be promote the event to the general public with something as simple as a sign?

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

All good questions Lisa, but you'll only be known now as a Sparta Basher.....so shhhhh!

3. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I don't think she's bashing Sparta ... Maybe trying to help a marketing mishap!!!! OR maybe she's proud of her sport and wants more people to know what is happening on the complex grounds!!!!!!

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

A business with no sign is a sign of no business. For further verification see attendance figures.

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

they are probably out of money?

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There was signage out in town. Do you think the locals didn't know what was going on. Other local towns and businesses had signs out welcoming shooters. Local newspapers had articles covering the events. Does the IDNR allow the signage?? Before you get so critical find out what the local rules are. Did you go in the main entrance??

I think you need to take Marketing 201 and 301. Then maybe some advanced study in Marketing results and effect.

Don

7. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

As far as the ATA, I couldn't answer that, but......LOL, you have to remember, WSRC is ran by the State Of Illinois and it's employees! It's the same for the other things there. I was there the week before the Govenors Cup Sporting Clays shoot. Asked them if it was still on, and they couldn't even answer that! The only reason I asked is that there was another a couple weeks earlier that was cancelled. I guess their hourly employees without the incentives like profit sharing.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

100 after9....
    I didn't say that she was a sparta basher, I said that she would be called one, do you get the difference??

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Lisa, there should have been signs; there will be next year.

Neil

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It would probably be a good idea if the major TV news stations and daily programs were approached as well. Even if coverage is turned down, if we keep asking, we may eventually get a "yes".

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try Fox News. They might still be "Gun Friendly".

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lisa- Your point is well made and you suggestion applies not only to Sparta, but to 98% of all trap clubs.

Our sport has a problem with lack of growth. Most people who live within a 5 mile radius of any trap club do not know the club exists. Could these two observations be related?

Pat Ireland

13. shootime

shootime TS Member

Did someone pass away and leave BIGDON in charge of everything? Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to voice it regardless of what BIGDON Says!

Suggestion: BIGDON keep your NEGATIVE comments to yourself, YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH AN OPINION.

SHOOTIME

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Where's Carson Woods when ya need him??

Curt

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Interesting aside. We were in the middle of an event at a small tournament at Evergreen Sportsmen's Club in Olympia, WA when a very friendly young lady came forward and said she was with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. She asked if we could cease shooting for half an hour so a French TV unit nearby could film a documentary on a local point of interest without all that "banging" in the background.

We thought we were the local interest at that time so denied the request. We should have put out a sign.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Thanks Neil,

I too thought it was odd that there wasn't a banner at the entrances.

17. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The Springfield (IL) State Journal Register did a very good story on the Grand, which was a complete surprise as usually they lean toward "anti-gun" with the editorial page. Link above.

The local Randolph County paper article was full of errors and offered little worthwhile information. Someone in PR needs to get with these folks and at least tell them the Grand was formerly in Vandalia OHIO not Vandalia IL.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

While at the Grand, I read one of the free newspapers that someone left.

It had a picture of someone shooting and in explaining what the shooter was doing, it said he was calling for the "skeet" bird to come out of the house.

And you could plainly see it was a trap house.

It was really obvious to me and I'm sure to all trapshooters, that this writer had no idea of what the different shooting sports are.

Hauxfan!

19. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I think your curriculum is a little advanced for marketing 101. Marketing 101 only consists of three words.....location, location, location. Ohhhhhhh, never mind. Sorry I brought it up.

Not bashing Sparta, I love the place. Just addressing the marketing 101 issue.

Bob

20. arnie2

arnie2 TS Member

It seems that the ATA needs to send a press release to all the local media outlets and include a basic glossary of trap shooting terms. I realize the ATA staff is extremely busy that week but it also wouldn't hurt to monitor the local media and e-mail corrections to them as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.