1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Executive Director

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PaShooter, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Been getting a little boring on here folks....

So any word on a new Executive Director? Just curious on how this ship has been running since August with no Captain at the helm, and who has been making the day to day business decisions. Never did know the salary of the ED, but guessing this may be a cost saving for the ATA? Why even have a position! It does seem like the EC is taking their time selecting a new ED, but its been over 8 months since the last one departed. Any applicants for the job?

Curious minds want to know..........

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

3. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I think the having an Exec. Dir. is a requirement for the 501c3. There are a certain number of Board Members perhaps not required but suggested or recommended to be installed as a good business practice. The Govt. needs to know whose belly button to push when it needs something.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

They will hire one this summer, then fire him during the Grand.

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

Has anybody seen or talked to Frank lately. What is his side of the story?

6. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Hi Paul,

Do you really think it is a cost savings to the ATA to continue to pay a couple of Executive Directors while they are no employed by or performing services for the ATA? Also to pay lawyers to fight, and potentially lose/settle a wrongful termination suit?

7. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

You are correct Dave.....one can have only so many ED's on the payroll!! Guess one won't be hired until the suits are settled!!

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

How can you sue for wrongful termination when you're still being paid but have

no duties??

Things that make you go hhhhhhhmmmmmm?

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, there's always two sides to every story...

Back when Frank was named executive director, I said on here that if he could coexist with the politics that have been in place in the EC for so long and if the EC didn't keep him on a short leash, he would be a great man for the job. If not, there would be sparks flying. Frank is a take-charge kind of guy, not a figurehead.

Ed

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

We don't need one that sneaks around or hides to hear executive sessions.

In fact we do not need Executive Sessions Period.

All meetings should be open to all Life Members Period.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

I agree on the "executive session" thing, way to much of that in the meetings anymore. What is there to hide?

As for the sneaking around or hiding in the back during a meeting, we all heard the rumors, but who knows the truth?

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If the ATA has an Executive Director, why does it need a President?

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why a President?

'cause the EC has to have someone to give the $16k gun to...duh!!

Curt

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I always find it interesting that some of you seem to forget(or maybe you never new)that in the by-laws under Executive Committee it says.

"Section 4: Powers.

(a) The Executive Committee shall have the power to do any and all things on behalf of this Corporation not specifically denied them by the Board of Directors.

(b) The Executive Committee shall have the power to employ an Executive Director and to delegate to him such authority as they may see fit."

I don't understand what grounds the ED would have for a law suit. I certainly don't understand why everyone seem to think that the ED should replace the President. Especially since he is directly employed by EC which includes the President.

Lastly what do executive sessions have to do with having and ED or not having an ED?

Bob Lawless

15. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

ATA rules,by laws,etc.....(The Executive Committe employs an Executive Director to handle the daily affairs of the ATA. The Executive Director implements the policies set forth by the Board of Directors and/or the Executive Committe and FOLLOWS THEIR DIRECTIONS).....follows their directions!!follows their directions!!!!!!!

16. TjayE

TjayE Member

I would think the Executive Director should be invited to all Executive Committee meetings. Therefore he would not have to sneak into the EC meetings. Why is there so much secrecy in our organization? Tom

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tom, I've wondered about that for years. All those "executive sessions" during EC meetings begin to make you wonder what all the secrecy is about. And if the executive director is not permitted to attend EC meetings freely, then he's not considered much of an "executive."

Ed

18. ivanhoe

"the Executive Director should be invited to all Executive Committee meetings. Therefore he would not have to sneak into the EC meetings."

Well that just might be if he wasn't told not to attend. If he was and then sneaks in what does that make his actions????

In all the by-laws I have read about the EC. I have yet to find anything that says that the EC reports to the members. It does imply that they report to the BOD. That is all I can find does anyone else see anything in the by-laws that says otherwise????

Bob Lawless

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, I think you read it correct. It's also gonna stay that way and they will tell the BOD what they need to know. The EC certainly can't allow any ED upsetting their long standing protocol way of conducting business either? Secret sessions may be necessary when investigating actions detrimental to our organization but as asked prior, why so many of those breaks during communications with members and BODs? Actually it's just the BODs that can say or ask anything.

Hap

20. ivanhoe

Well Hap the BOD has the power to tell the EC to cease and desist the EC meeting. Yet they don't so I would have to believe that BOD isn't concerned with the reasons for the EC meetings.

It was said above,

"I agree on the "executive session" thing, way to much of that in the meetings anymore. What is there to hide?"

If anyone reads the meeting minutes they should know that many complaints are filed yearly against members. Not all of them result in discipline. Some are handled in other ways. Yet I am quite sure that there is a lot of discussion that shouldn't be mad public. The best way to insure that is behind closed doors. Like it or not!!!!!

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.