1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Executive Director Wanted!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Yep, The ATA is advertising for an Executive Director. Regardless of what it says below, the primary function of any non-profit Executive Director is to control his board so they don't fire him and if he is good, control it so well that they do what he wants instead of the other way around. Everything after that is secondary. So, here is a chance for all you guys who think they know how the ATA should be run, step right up.

Job Description

ATA Executive Director

Background

The Amateur Trapshooting Association serves as the governing body for the sport of American style trapshooting. The ATA's mission is to promote and govern the sport throughout the world (United States, Canada and certain foreign countries).

The ATA was established in 1889 as the American Trapshooting Association and later changed to the Amateur Trapshooting Association in 1923. A Board of Directors, composed of state and provincial delegates (57 in total), govern all ATA policy matters. The Executive Committee, which is comprised of one
    representative from each five designated Zones, provides stewardship for the association throughout the year. The organization's day-to-day business is guided by an Executive Director and a team of professionals at the national headquarters in Vandalia, Ohio.

Last year, 34,770 members participated in some 7,800 registered tournaments throughout the North America. In total over 940 ATA affiliated gun clubs threw 79,222,830 clay targets.

As the `faithful protector' of trapshooting, the ATA not only governs the sport's rules and regulations, but also seeks ways to enhance the sport and stimulate participation. The ATA provides trophies, financial assistance
    and event management support to the state and provincial associations. The ATA has also been instrumental in developing programs to increase interest in the sport with its support of the Scholastic Clay Target Program, National Trapshooting Day, Satellite Grand Americans, Achievement Recognition and other
    valuable programs.

Overview

The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Executive Committee and Board of Directors. The Executive Director advises, makes recommendations to, and assists the Executive Committee and Board
    of Directors in formulating policies for the association. The Executive Director also implements association policy and directives, oversees all the organizations day to day activities, represents the organization in public
    and functions to serve the needs of the association. The Executive Director is responsible for meeting the mission, goals and objectives of the Amateur Trapshooting Association.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I hope they get some young blood in that office who can guide the EC and the ATA into a direction for the future and not down the path of the past.

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Saw the posting last week, don't think that there are any quailifed indviduals who in his or her right mind would want this job. This could potentially be one of the most thankless jobs on the planet and would require a person who has the vision to make the right desisions based upon good business sense vise what happens to be popular with the masses.

Ronbo

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

What are the differences between the duties of the E.D. and the Pres. (for those of us who are newer)?

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Devi

The Executive Director is responsbile for the day-to-day operations of the ATA, works the same with the NSSA/NSCA. The President and the executive commitee are basicly the board of directors they ultimatly set the basic policy and direction of the organization.

The new horse is a handful! Took Mary and I 10 minutes to give him a shot last night I have deemed him Edgy Reggie. We are thinking that me might have to send him to a professional and have him desensitised. He is a Draft Cross, and really pushy. Mary ponied him last night, the weather has been just awful and we are having a hard time working with him.

The fense is moving along, I have all but 3 of the 258 posts in the ground and I have a order in for boards, hope to be able to pick up the first 200 this weekend and start construction.

If you come out to the grand I hope you can stop by and meet the crew!

Semper Fi

Ronbo

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ok, now what does the president do?

Ron...do you have a round pen? Obviously, someone has let that boy get into their space. I have this voice that always pops up "You have to set boundaries!" (Gee....I wonder who it is that is always telling me that?). I'm sure you are seeing the consequences. I used to work for the Park Police at the barn...we had all drafts. I have these long, hard nails that can be used to "bite." Those big guys learned to stay out of my space quickly. You can use any blunt, hard object (well...within certain limits of decency)and just make sure that EVERY time he invades your space (even a little bit)that you respond with a "bite." Horse language: they understand and respond to it.

We can talk and I can give you some stuff to try. Call me. If you decide to go with a trainer, make an effort to watch the trainer, so you can learn his/her methods and maintain the consistency in discipline.

Good luck. And I'll try to come out while I'm at the grand. I would like to see you again...that would be fun!

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Devi

The weather has been so wet that we have had issues getting him out everyday, we have access to a round pen and I might start taking him in there daily for at least 15 or 20 minutes and work with his discipline. I use the make him walk in small cicles and get out of my space drills but he might need something a little harsher (within reason of course).

Thanks for the tips.

As far as the President goes, I bet if you go to the rule book his duties should be outlined.

Semper Fi

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.