1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Executive Committee Restrictions.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauser, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

The Executive Committee has created several new categories without reviewing them with the Board of Directors. The Executive Committee currently has the right to add, change, or delete portions of the rules per the bylaws on their own, however to do so without review from the Board of Directors is at best arrogant reckless behavior.

The additional categories created by the Executive Committee can be changed or eliminated at the next annual meeting by the Board of Directors, but if the Board of Directors wants to ensure this type of behavior doesn't happen again then they must also restrict some of the Executive Committee's powers.

There are three sections in the bylaws that need to be referenced or changed to limit the Executive Committee power: Section 4 titled “Powers”, ARTICLE XIII
    section 1 titled “Shooting Rules” and ARTICLE XIX Section 1 titled AMENDMENTS

Section 4 titled “Powers” reads as follows:
    “The Executive Committee shall have the power to do any and all things on behalf of this Corporation not specifically denied them by the Board of Directors”.

This rule specifically gives the power to deny some of the Executive Committee activities to the Board of Directors.

ARTICLE XIII section 1 titled “Shooting Rules” reads as follows:

“This Corporation shall annually, by either its Board of Directors or Executive Committee, adopt a set of Rules for the conducting of registered trapshoots and shall be known and designated as “Amateur Trapshooting Association Official Rules.”

This is the key section in the bylaws that gives the Executive Committee the current right to add, change, or delete trapshooting rules. Amending this section by striking references to the Executive Committee and or explicitly restricting the Executive Committee from changing the official rules would ensure future rule changes would be the sole responsibility of the BOD.

These changes would need to take place at the annual meeting per ARTICLE XIX
    Section 1 titled AMENDMENTS.

Section 1 titled AMENDMENTS reads as follows:

The By-Laws of this Corporation may be adopted or from time to time modified, changed, enlarged, amplified, or amended by resolution adopted by vote of a majority of the Board of Directors present at any Annual Meeting.

I would add one other change to the bylaws.

If the shooters are going to be informed of rule changes early enough to discuss them with their delegate then any proposed rule changes need to be submitted for publication by some deadline (2-3 months) prior to the Grand.

Jerry Hauser

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I understand your upset.. but do you really think it will change anything posting and ranting on TS.com ?? I think your energy would be better spent writing and calling the people who can make the changes you want.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

J.B., I'm sure the only person that may be of help to Jerry's concerns is already aware of his thoughts? I'm sure too you know how many people read the rule book and know our sports shooting rules. At least here, as limited as the ATA member numbers are compared to all nationwide, they may learn something to ask their delegate about? Writing the EC? That would be headed for the circle file in less time than it would take to place a wasted postage stamp on it!

What percentage of a states membership selects a delegate to represent the states shooters as a whole? Very small number, just like the TS ATA members here speaking out about any concerns for our sport. Keeping your mouth shut here isn't going to help or hurt but may enlighten some that have no idea of what to say to their delegates? ATA members have one man that can make a difference to right any wrong and that's their state delegate. For the silent majority of ATA members, I'd wager they have no idea of what's happening today? Why not let them know in as many ways as possible?

Hap

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Jerry, we knew nothing about this until it hit ts.com. It's good to get the word out so that everyone may act upon it if desired. Open and honest communication circumvents a lot of disappointment, distrust, and discouragement. We need more of it, not less.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

For the record, I understand that the EC may not be *required* to involve the state delegates or membership in its decision making process. I also have not stated anywhere on ts.com that I disagree with what they have done.

What I HAVE stated is that, IMO, decisions made without involving the the delegates or the membership, even if for the good of the membership, create suspicion, animosity, and disappointment. In my roles in engineering and business management, I never presumed that I knew more or had better ideas than my techs, sales force, etc. Give the membership a chance to be educated, and to offer up their ideas. It creates good will, and sometimes those people that are the participants can have some pretty good ideas themselves.

Don't assume that the shooters are a bunch of yay-hoos who can't read a study or understand statistical analysis, and give them a chance to know the reasoning behind the EC's decisions. Even if it is necessary to make these decisions at a higher level, at least give some semblance of caring what the shooters think. That's all I'm saying.

I have not come out against the latest rulings. Not yet. All I have said so far is that more significant prizes would be a good draw for more participation, and that I understand that shoot offs will be more difficult with these new added categories. I am open to hearing the reasoning and seeing the studies so that I can make an informed decision as to whether or not I am in favor of these changes. I think there are a lot of people who feel the same way as do I.

And I certainly don't think that I am the sole spokesperson, or that my opinion really matters for much. But I am free to state my ideas and opinions. If I did not, and all of the rest of us do not, then we deserve whatever is handed to us, correct?

I will certainly be talking to Rob Taylor when I see him next, because he is my delegate. Not in a confrontational way, either, because I am on an information seeking mission, and I come to understand, not to argue. I suggest the rest of you do the same with your delegates.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Very well spoken and correct in my opinion Devi. What were they thinking? :)

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The EC as usual, sad but true ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Devi,

Many I have spoken with are awaiting the same answer to the "reasoning, and studies" that you mentioned.

Good luck and please let us know of your findings.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.