1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Delegates Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobby ward, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Pat, Neil, T.K. or any other elected ATA delegate on these threads,

Can you please tell me what the current membership number in the ATA is? Once I have that number I would like to address something with you here.

Thanks!

Bobby

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Per the ATA Minutes of 12/06/2007:

Active Shooters:

2007 = 34,387

2006 = 34,770

2005 = 34,971

2004 = 34,920

2003 = 34,784

2002 = 34,510

2001 = 33,625

Information garnered from the February issue of T&F (page 85).

Curt Jones - Delaware Alt. Delegate

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt provided the numbers.

Bobby- Neither T.K or I am currently a delegate. I served as an elected Virginia officer continuously from 1979 until 2006. That was long enough for me and Virginia needed some fresh ideas.

Pat Ireland

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Forgot to add above. Many delegates do read threads on this site but rather few of them post anything.

Pat Ireland

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, Do you blame them?? You certainly know how to create a smile in the morning.LOL. I am looking forward to Bobby's comment's on our present status as he always has well thought out ideas with positive input to try and help our sport. Bob H.

6. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I'm proud to say my Kentucky Delegate, Terry Dean, posts here on occasion concerning trapshooting issues. I'm pleased that he does and wish more State Delegates would join in.

They bring a wealth of experience to any trapshooting issue. Same goes for Neil and Pat given their current and former positions. I personally will pull up any thread that one or more responds to!

Eddie

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

So SHOOT... BOBBY...WHAT'S your quwstion?????

8. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Thanks Curt for the information.

Pat, Sorry to hear you stepped down. You were always a gentleman here even in disagreement. Virginia and the rest of the ATA benefited greatly from your service.

T.K. Your wisdom and your insight calmed many a heated argument. You too are a gentleman of the highest order. Best to you Neil wherever you are in the sport at this time.

Ok,

Not a question but me advancing a case I have stated on these threads a few times before. I am on my way to a meeting at this time so I will gather my thoughts tonight and post them early in the morning.

Thanks

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

membership was climbing until 2005. In 2006 and 2007 there were declines. Does anyone feel this had something to do with the move?

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

FlaLagarto- Up here in Ohio I've lost count of the # of shooters who have not renewed (ATA) since the move. Not fussin' just stating fact.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Jerry B. when they moved I let my membership go. I wondered if others did the same thing.
    By the way I live in Pa. and have been on line looking at houses in the Ocala area. Can you tell me anything about shooting in that area besides Silver $ ? Thanks, Mike

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

13. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The membership numbers provided here show a delcine butnot nearly what I thought it might be. However, shrinking membership numbers and people not shooting registered targets at all or cutting back, tells a story that none of us should be comfortable with. I believe it has to do with the escalating costs of shooting. With shot at $50 a bag and new shells at all time highs, gasoline at $3 per gallon and related costs like food and accomocations rising accordingly, it is no wonder. A very high percentage of shooters I have visited with express the same opinion. They will continue to shoot but are going to cut back drastically. Traveling to a shoot every weekend will stop and perhaps they will shoot only 1-2 weekends per month or save their dollars to go to a larger shoot instead of several smaller ones.

I think it is time for the ATA and State organizations to reconsider the decision made 2 years ago that ALL registered shoots must be pre approved. Gun club managers need more freedom and leeway in the way they can offer registered targets to the membership. In short I suggest that it should be permissable for any sanctioned club to offer registered targets on demand without pre approval. The club would be expected of course to adhere strictly to all ATA rules governing the shooting of registered targets AND SPECIFICALLY the deadlines for having the official shoot report turned in after the shoot. Marathon style formats should be encouraged as well. I was part of a very successful endeavor where our club offered on Saturdays, unlimited targets for any and all shooters. It worked well. A shooter could come and shoot as many targets as he wanted on that day, and the savings were huge.

What are your thoughts please?

Thanks!

Bobby

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bobby, your idea is a good one and one I wished was in effect many times when I was running the registered shoots at two local clubs. But regardless of the convenience such a system would lend to our clubs, if the shooters aren't shooting because of ammunition costs, fuel costs or any other reason, they won't be there to participate.

I've cut w-a-y back on my shooting, didn't as much as look at a registered target in 2007 and will have to get a real strong urge to do so if I am going to shoot any this year, either. Three-night-a-week practice/league shooting is no longer an option because clubs that were 20 and 30 minutes from my home ten years ago are 45 minutes to an hour away now and neither the clubs nor myself moved - traffic has just become that bad in this area over that time. Then there's the $3.00 a gallon it costs to sit in that traffic. There are a lot of other things I can do with that time and the thousands of dollars I spent on shooting every year. And a lot of those things allow me to do them with other members of my family, so that's a plus that has become more attractive to me as I've gotten older. I missed my kids growing up because I was always at work in an industry that offers very little paid time off, so it's time to give something back to the family.

But I do support your idea and will do what I might be able to in order to help promote it.

Ed

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bobby- The requirement for all shoots to be approved by the State Secretary (not the ATA) has been around for a long time. In many states, if the manager sends the State Secretary a FAX requesting a shoot on Thursday, it will be approved and in the ATA office by Friday.

champion II- If a club has an approved date, that club can throw any number of registered targets it wishes. The decision not to throw some more was made entirely by the club management, not the ATA. The State Association and the ATA approve dates, not what the club throws on these dates. It is true that a club can throw as many handicap targets as it wishes in one day but only 200 will be considered for a reduction.

Pat Ireland

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

WOW!!David finally got my originally desired name back after all of my ineptness. Alder 1 is back in the kennel.

Pat: I've been involved in our club over 25 years and was of the belief that we requested through our State Secretary, but needed approval from ATA Hq. I hope that I have been mistaken and that you are correct.Easy for me to check I guess. Thank you very much for the "nudge".

Bobby: I couldn't agree with you more. I am appreciative of the info that you sent me last year on that. At our club our regular shoots we have had continual degradation of attendance over the last few years, as has everyone in our area. Too many clubs with too few shooters that can afford to shoot that much anymore. Even our State Shoot has gone from 12 fields to 10 fields last year. I think that alone speaks volumes.

I believe that with the type of liberties or program that Bobby suggests we could be throwing more, I'm sorry, I mean a lot more registered targets which would help both the State and ATA with the daily fee's, and it would also promote more activity at our club. Good health and good shooting to you Bobby.

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thanks Buck.

If you need registered targets in S.W. Pa.- East Ohio- N. W.V. Allegheny Country Rifle Club shoots them every Sat. and Sun. If i'm not mistaken the cost is $12 per hundred plus the registration fee. ACRC is just outside the Pittsburgh limits.

18. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

As usual - Pat is 100% right

The pre-approval process is no big deal. And I have been involved with that both from a shoot director for our small club submitting the shoot application as well as now being the State Secretary sending the applications to ATA for them to approve (it's actually more like a rubber stamping process). No problems whatsoever.

The thing to remember is that this process is what initiates the date being published in Trap&Field as ATA forwards the dates to them. It also gets the dates on the schedule that the State maintains.

So, there are probably dozens of things that may be hurting trap shooting - BUT THIS AIN'T ONE OF THEM

Dan

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Kissable Wanker- You have made some very valid points but there are other points that could support quickly called registered shoots. It is possible that February 17 could turn out to be a very nice day but we will not know that until Feb. 15. If it is a warm day we might want to get a quick shoot organized.

For me, there is the same competition at a small 5 man shoot as I will have at the Southern Grand in a few weeks. I shoot against myself and hope to have fun. I know what a good score for me is and if I can achieve that, I am happy. If I do it at a big shoot and win a trophy that is OK, but it is not the reason I shoot. I do recognize others shoot for different reasons than I do.

Pat Ireland

20. Hauser

Hauser Member

Old unnecessary rule.

Notifying (not asking permission) the state secretary should be all thats required. The state associations are more than capable.

Jerry Hauser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.